cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ask... what may be a silly question?

Fixes: 123

Can I ask... what may be a silly question?

I was wondering how you all come up with the various topic headings for Chit Chat.
Do you try to think of something witty, something that succinctly portrays the gist of the post or, maybe, just copy some words from the article you're quoting from?
Or do you try to come up with a heading to catch the eye?
Sometimes I struggle to think of a heading and have often looked back at some of the topics I've started and wonder if I couldn't have come up with a better one.
Am I alone in this...?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Can I ask... what may be a silly question?

Yes then no... or maybe its no then no... hmm... maybe no then yes will answer it... err..
how about yes, yes, yes, yes and... yes
there done it  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I agree with Peter, whatever he said Grin Grin
N/A

I think that it's a good question to ask because how often do you see someone post on a forum with a silly title like 'Windows XP' with no mention of the actual problem.
I just try to make it as brief and to the point as possible so that it's possible to see straight away what I'm on about.  Don't know if I succeed though.
Denzil
Grafter

It probably depends on the nature of the post, whether serious, funny, technical question or whatever.  Anything goes in Chit Chat, but I think it is generally a good idea that the post title gives some sort of clue about the topic.
By the way, has anybody noticed that "ledgendary" shouldn't have the first "d" in it?
nadger
Rising Star

I think some of the subject headings over on ThinkBroadband are worthy of tabloid journalists  Wink
eg:  PlusTalkPipexSky stole my money!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think it all depends on your interests in life. If you're interested in music and post as such, in this forum you know within a little who will respond to it. Driving/motorist posts will get everybody going. Pun generators (which I adore) leave many members quite cold.
Personally, I don't say I never do but, I rarely start or respond to political/topical threads, preferring to raise the humour level If I can. I also don't get too far involved into IT threads, largely because of a basic lack of knowledge (or indeed interest as long as its all working Ok)
But in this forum, there is (with a couple of notable historical exceptions) plenty of room for everybody.
I like to think I "create" interesting subject titles, if sometimes obscure.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thejudge
Grafter

On my own website, I often find thinking of a title for a piece to be far more of a PITA than writing the piece itself. Which is why some of the titles are so lame.
Fixes: 123

Thanks for the interesting answers Smiley
I, too, often find it harder to come up with a title than writing the body. Glad I'm not the only one.
I like to try to think of titles that stand out but probably fail 90% of the time Cheesy Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still