cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameron and the EU

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cameron and the EU

I understand Cameron is doing the rounds of EU member states in an effort to get fundamental changes which will be to our benefit but is he not wasting his time ?
I seem to recall he undertook a similar exercise some time ago on another issue in which he thought he had the backing of several member states only to discover when the vote took place no one backed him.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Cameron and the EU

When the reality of possibly loosing the UK's contribution to the EU kitty sinks in these "partners" will suddenly become more flexible. At present they think Cameron is bluffing. The EU is useful in many ways to the UK, but there is the problems of creeping federalism by unaccountable career Euro politicians. I've worked in several European countries and have great respect for their way of life, but it doesn't need to be imposed on the UK.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

just to pick up on the very last part of your last sentence.
what exactly is the UK "way of life"? and how is is it different to the "way of life" in any other country?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@chenks76 youve quoted AlaricAdair 180 degrees wrong, he said their way of life..I too have worked for European companies and like Germans, French and particularly Dutch nationals as colleagues but their political systems are different and I wouldn't like to change ours for theirs.
Also Britain is Europe's biggest market and the Germans in particular still would want to sell us their BMWs  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

no i haven't got it wrong... seems you understand what i'm asking.
he said he had lived in various european countries and respected their way of life, but didn't want it imposed on the UK.
i'm asking what the UK way of life is? and in what way makes it better than any other countries way of life.
i would query that britain is europe's biggest market.. i would say that Europe is Europe's biggest market, and the UK is simply a small piece of that market.
britain being the EU or not would make no difference to Germany selling BMWs to the UK. they have no problem selling BMW's to non-EU countries.
Community Veteran

It's a good time for the PM to seek change. He has a referendum on the horizon and that is his best weapon!
If he doesn't gain support for change then the EU may risk losing our contribution!
Go for it Dave!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@chenks76
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/coming-soon-europes-biggest-economy-will-be-uk-2013-05-15
but Britain is the only part of Europe which is growing and is soon to outstrip Germany as the biggest economy. The Europeans need us as an example of how to run an economy in 2015 and as a market for their products to pull them out of recession
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PowerLee
Rising Star

Sooner the UK is out of the EU the better.
The EU need the UK much more then we need them  Wink
Community Veteran

Cameron does not want us out of the EU but he wants major concessions to our membership. I think he is in a strong position to get some changes but if he gets enough to satisfy his right wing I don't know. Good luck to him I say.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

but is he not wasting his time ?

No... he is not... well, not for his own ends... but maybe for the idea behind his visits....
Think about it.....he has always wanted to do a maggie on Europe... and show he is "the strong leader"... despite his demeanour as the "head boy" or "senior prefect" at some posh school. 
He is trying to show the UK populace, that , they made the right choice at the last election... he can come back from his "grand tour".. ( ooh yes.. that`s what money`d people used to do a hundred years ago, isn`t it?  visit as many forren countries as you can afford to.... )... and spout his pride in trying to achieve some sort of "re-negotiation" with those forreners, ...
even if he only gets one small thing as a "concession", it will be blown up out of all proportion by the media, as
"cameron changes europes mind on............ (whatever)......... " 
Cameron, victorious in europe....
and other stupendous claims... when really he has achieved little, except inceased his own overblown ego. 
So, no... he is not wasting his time..... he is wasting ours...
Community Veteran

Well, he's NOT wasting my time by trying to get the UK a better deal from the EU!
The sooner we distance ourselves from the career bureaucrats in Brussels the better!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well,.... not at the moment... but when he comes back, gloating about how good he has been......
and I agree, we need to get the bureaucrats sorted out.. so that we are in a european MARKET and not a european FEDERATION....
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
he wants major concessions to our membership

I could see him getting offered our old rebate back and then trumpeting that it's a major victory. Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
I could see him getting offered our old rebate back and then trumpeting that it's a major victory. Angry

And so it would be Smiley
DC has given his views in a round of visits to leaders in Europe. Having made his point he must now see what outcome he achieves.
In the press conference held in Germany I thought Merkel seemed to accept that there has to be change, so that's a move in the right direction.