cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameras in Court

Community Veteran

Cameras in Court

Starting today it is now possible to see cameras in court.  It is currently only done in the Court of Appeal but today's start was quite interesting.
Prior to today filming has been banned in court with the exception of the Supreme Court where it was allowed from its inception in 2009.
In the US there is a dedicated court TV channel which shows all types of trial.
Cameras

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Cameras in Court

I certainly think we're behind with the times these days with this. Seriously why in the electronic age is the UK still using crayons and caveman drawings in its court rooms?
I personally think it's a good idea to have cameras in the courts. Not only might it encourage people to understand the law and it's consequences a bit more but it might also bring the legal system up to date and speed it up a bit.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
I certainly think we're behind with the times these days with this. Seriously why in the electronic age is the UK still using crayons and caveman drawings in its court rooms?

Not in court, I’m always impressed with the sketches as these have to be done from memory outside of the courtroom. http://www.gothinkbig.co.uk/features/job-youve-never-thought-of-becoming-a-court-artist
I hope that this does not end the sketches.
Community Veteran

it certainly won't stop the sketches as things are at present.  The Court of Appeal often only has legal counsel and judges present and is often simply arguing a previous sentencing decision. Today's case was  arguing if a 7 year sentence was too severe. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: itsme

I do!
I never liked them ever since I was a young kid (and I mean at 4 years old). I always thought it was odd to be honest.
There are many things the legal system needs to get up to date with and this is one of them. The other being judges not wearing wigs which partially hide their identify. IF a judge wants to order a muslim woman to remove her facial cover thing (sorry the name has slipped my mind) then the judges should show themselves too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Imagine Judge Judy in the UK, no thanks
But I do think cameras in court should be allowed
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: itsme

Me too. It would be the end of an era. Defendants and Silks often get hold of these as momentos.
The Old bailey artist must love Rebekah Brooks as they get to use the orange pastel 
[ Andy Coulson renders in taupe  ]
In my view, there is no reason to televise proceedings other than the need to put something else on TV. A reporters job is to summarise proceedings into a 30 second slot - which is about all of the news there is in a packed day in court. What next, judges having to Tweet their verdicts? Judges are not televisual. Courts are not entertainment. And really, if you want to sit down for five hours watching paint dry, go sit in the public gallery [ or watch BBC Parliament ]
Community Veteran

If the sketches have any value I'm sure the artists will continue to produce them.  Also remember the televising only refers to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court so most hearing will still be held in private.
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Imagine Judge Judy in the UK, no thanks
But I do think cameras in court should be allowed

Won't happen, I remember about 5 years ago at work, I was in a "Court" for a pretend Courtroom case, and my phone rang, if looks could kill I'd be dead by now, and that was just pretend.
Community Veteran

There's always one isn't there Wink If you followed your argument to a logical conclusion you would close all the theatres and cinemas because some idiot leaves his mobile switched on Roll eyes
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
There's always one isn't there Wink If you followed your argument to a logical conclusion you would close all the theatres and cinemas because some idiot leaves his mobile switched on Roll eyes

I go to the local Cineworld with a carer most Thursdays, instead of watching the movie, he just sits and texts  his OH, even when he's driving he messes with his phone, it's her fault for constantly texting him, but I'm surprised he hasn't got done for it, yet...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

but I'm surprised he hasn't got done for it, yet...

Shocked

There is a thread on here that is relevant....  Grin  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119467.0.html
This sort of thing KILLS and INJURES people.... could be you, as the passenger, him? or someone at a bus stop .....
Community Veteran

@RichAllen, He should.  He's putting his life at risk whilst driving and yours too.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: RichAllen
...and texts  his OH, even when he's driving he messes with his phone, it's her fault for constantly texting him...

No, it's not his OH's fault at all. He's the driver and should be in control off the vehicle at all times. Such a lame excuse Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Also remember the televising only refers to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court so most hearing will still be held in private.

private? I thought only Family Courts were private, Crown and Magistrates Courts are open to the public except with national security when they are held in-camera.