cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls

thefee1984

Calls

I'm probably posting in the wrong place as this is my 1st ever post, apologies if so. I just want to warn people of the 2 calls I've had today, both by Asian men claiming to be from BT openreach. 1st call I said I'd hang up to call Plusnet to which he said that's where he was calling from. I hung up ajd called plusnet and was told it's a scam. Ten mins later another phone call this time from "Kevin" at BT asking me to open up my computer and enter codes etc. I told the man the call was being recorded and he hung up immediately, calls were both international but different numbers.
13 REPLIES 13
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Calls

Just had one saying my internet connection was about to be terminated, hung up, still working....

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Champnet 

Yep, they never seem to put their words into action do they?

Very bad service IMO.

thefee1984

The first caller got really annoyed when I said I'd hang up and call Plusnet tech department, started shouting at me to open my computer up. I hung up and called Plusnet then straight after I get another Indian sounding man again claiming to be from Bt Openreach. Few weeks ago I had a lot of automated calls too, number always international
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@thefee1984 Welcome to the forums.

I used to get a lot of strange numbers calling me, but since I stopped answering numbers I didn't recognise, the volume of such spam has dropped to around 3 or 4 a month - you are eventually seen by the scammers as not worth calling.

I would also suggest activating the 'Call Protect' feature on your account (if Plusnet are your phone provider), and you can add the last call you answered to the reject list - that number will then be blocked, but as scammers rarely use the same 'spoofed' number twice, it is rather pointless, IMHO. No answering the calls is quicker and easier, and reduces call volume just as easily.

BTW - never give these scum any information, as in 'I'll call Plunet myself' - that just makes it easier for them to sound more convincing the next time they call from'Plusnet'.

John
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

IME Kevin is a very common name in India, along with Nigel, Roger, Steven, Graham, George and many others.  Wink

thefee1984

Thanks for the advice I'll definitely be taking it! What worried me was that I actually had just got off the phone to Plusnet about my slow broadband half an hour before the 1st call, so I was caught off gaurd when I was told it was about my broadband. I soon realised the manner he was speaking etc didn't seem right and hung up and checked with Plusnet that it wasn't them. I was being asked to open up my computer etc which I thought was strange as I've never had a call like that before, it's got me worried they know about me changing broadband channels now lol
thefee1984

Lol he definitely didn't sound like a Kevin, that was the second call. I said I was recording it and as soon as I did he hung up. These type of calls are new for me, before this I've had automated BT asking me to press 1 and also automated HRMC calls. I don't know how they have my number as it's X directory
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

They don't have your number - they just feed a range of numbers into an autodialler, and then wait for one (or more) of those on the list to pick up - which is why you should be wary of any unknown numbers.

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@thefee1984 If you get any call you do not recognise or expecting....hang up.

The different types of scams keep changing.

In a earlier post I described a call I had to inform me the loft insulation in my house attracted damp and they wanted to do a survey....utter scam

As is the clever trick of getting you to hang up and dial a number just to confirm it's the bank or police calling you and it's a genuine call. Except they are still on the line.

Also like a parcel delivered to you, 'by mistake' and someone comes to pick it up.....usually a expensive phone ..you have signed for it and records show it's gone to your address.

If you have the time look at the many scam busters sites to see the things these scammers do.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Lists of people worth calling are sold on by scammers, if you don't answer numbers

you do not recognise you will eventually drop off the list.  If you do not recognise number

and answer call I would always wait for them to speak first, if there is a delay in them saying

something that is a sure sign of a scammer or call centre where they make multiple

calls at same time and if anyone picks up they will say something,  sometimes it

is obviously just a pre-recorded message.  Never engage them in conversation

just say nothing and put the phone down.  I have known a couple of people who

used to deliberately keep them talking and seem to go along,  then after 10 minutes

or so they would say that they knew the person was a scammer,, this was often

met with a stream of abuse,  and the reply was 'well while you were talking to me you

weren't scamming anyone else.... classic.

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@thefee1984  Another thing you could do is to buy a bt 8600 phone. This will stop most of the spam calls as if the number is unknown ( not on your known number list) it will ask them to announce who they are before ringing the phone and you can reject the call then before you answer it. Most scammers will not announce who they are and just hang up. Since getting one we now get no scam calls.Works well!!Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

As above and ditto.

Switched ours off about a month ago just out of interest and quiet for just over a week... and then back they came. Slowly at first and then at least a couple a day for the following week. I guess the word and numbers must get passed around much like those that give to those donkey, dog and "get your free cuddly toy" charities pass your mailing address around as Mr and Mrs Gullible.

Anyways, BT call guardian phone now switch back on so no calls from 'Mike' from Mumbai or 'Chris' from Calcutta.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Pesky BT internet police and various others.. they never seem to keep their promise of cutting us off and truth be told i'd probably get more done in the day if they did.

Anyway we used to get 2-3 sometimes 3-4 of these calls a week. Some of them i'd string along (record was about 40 mins) and then throw everything at them like "oh.. my computer says it needs to restart" "No sir don't do that" "oh.. so sorry young man i clicked okay.." etc. One of them eventually said "just admit it sir, you're messing me about aren't you" LOL. The phone went quiet that month..

Anyway it started up again.. now we just don't answer the landline unless it's the evening. The spam calls have dropped right off. We still get the odd phone ring here and there but we don't bother answering it as everyone has our mobile numbers. We also don't give out the landline to anyone - infact i think the only people who have it are the doctors, hospital and plusnet.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!