Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all DIYers

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Calling all DIYers

Got a puzzle I've been scratching my old head about. - how to stop my front gates swinging out onto the road.

Just finished doing a major repair job on one of them and plan to do the other when the weather warms up a bit next week.

As I hope you can see from the photo below, top left I have fixed a heavy bar which stops the gate swinging out - but only when the other gate is closed and locked down. Centre right is another heavy bar fitted to the post but this has proved ineffective and also damages the gate if it gets clouted to hard.

So what's the solution?

* Some sort of raised edge in the centre roadside, but having tried that I found that the car front spoiler catches it.

* Some sort of cable that would catch and retain the gate as it swung out? Hmm

I feel sure I've seen some sort of heavy duty sliding bar assembly a bit like those security catches we have on the inside of our front doors, but not knowing what that are called and having tried several variations I cannot find anything online. Obviously both of the gates are held back with a heavy hook and eye arrangement fixed to another post and the gate which you can just see on the left behind the gate, but this does not stop it swinging back out onto the road if one or both are left unhooked by callers and yes, I'm looking at you Mr Parcel Delivery fella! 

Suggestions welcome from some joint head scratching.

Cheers as always guys. Thumbs Up

IMG_2965-min.JPG

19 REPLIES 19
idonno
Pro

Re: Calling all DIYers

How about something along the lines of a Monkey tail Bolt. They come in all shapes and sizes. Drill a hole in the slab and down it goes. Holds the gate where you want it without straps etc.

My preferred option though is electric gates........................... Cheesy

Sure I'd love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

I have those already fitted for when the gates are closed and locked at night. It's when they are inadvertently left open allowing them to swing free that is the problem. Needs something to stop them going out into the road and either hitting a car or somebody walking past, which would be an insurance claim nightmare I'd imagine.  

Electric gates would be nice, but maybe a bit too posh for around here. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Drill a hole in the ground in front of the open gate, put a small pipe in the hole to stop it closing up then put a short rod in the pipe which will prevent the gate from swinging open......bend the top of the rod to make it easier to remove.....job done !

Smiley

Community Veteran

Failing that a hook and chain to keep the gate open ?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

Got that as well, which is why generally during the day the gates are left open and hooked back.

Maybe that is the only answer? 

PS. Considered that pipe idea, but a permanent one would be no good for my car tyres. Interesting idea though about a movable one. Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

Good strong post, e.g. scaffold pole sized pipe, about where the leading edge of the gates are, when open, as in your pic,.... attach a wire "strop" as a fixed item to gate, and to post... if gates are left open, and the wind blows them closed, they can only travel as far as the strop will let them...

( You could include a strong spring, so that the weight and motion of the gate does not pull the mounting off the gate at the point of closure ! )... metallics-everbilt-wire-rope-803182-64_1000.jpgsprings.jpg

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Thanks, been mulling that over.

Like the idea of that spring and it would need a second post as well. Hmm.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Tilt the gate posts backwards slightly. Then the gates won't want to swing out.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

.... not until the wind catches them. Wink

If they were open or wrought iron gates instead of being paneled I guess that would work. 

Community Veteran

What I have seen when on rights of way across farmers fields gates that are designed to close after someone has walked through them.

Now't fancy, just a rope attached to the gate and post with a heavy stone or bricks attached to the middle of the rope, as you open the gate the weight pulls down on the rope.

Only negative thing is that it's unsightly..........but cheap and effective.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

.... not until the wind catches them. Wink

If they were open or wrought iron gates instead of being paneled I guess that would work. 

With a house in the way (or garage) it's unlikely there would be enough wind to blow the gates "uphill" on their hinges / gate posts.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

Stick a bit of metal in the ground, where the two gates are supposed to meet.

Any swinging won't be all the way into the road, then.

Alternatively, park a car in the middle of the drive, so that if the gates swing then the car prevents any excess swinging.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well apart from potential damage to the cars bodywork (if I understood you correctly) any 'bits of metal' would have to be sticking up out of the ground by around eight inches. Four inches from ground to the underneath of the gate then at least another four in order to cover effectively the horizontal timber along the bottom.

Even at half that height my tyres are not going to like it should I catch them as I swing into the drive. As for the unwary visitor.... 

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

Of course, first you resurface your drive to reduce the height of the 'bit of metal' ....

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."