Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call yourself a Photographer !!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Call yourself a Photographer !!

Some extremely talented  Photographers in the world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4353636/Some-best-photographs-2017-Sony-Awards...

Over 220,000 people entered the 2017 Sony World Photography Awards, which means that those who achieved top honours are very talented indeed.

Lake Wanaka [in New Zealand]Lake Wanaka [in New Zealand]

24 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Call yourself a Photographer !!

Nice, but nothing special from what I can see. I was taking similar photographs back in the 60s in black and white and developing them!  

None of this poncy digital stuff. Back then it was all 35mm cameras with knobs on and plug in flash bulbs. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

These days you get called a Hipster if you develop your own pictures from film... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

I can imagine Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm pretty much classed as a hipster too with all my vintage technologies, but admitting to being a hipster means I'm not a hipster, because hipsters deny they're hipsters, this making them hipsters, oh the logic of kids these days... Funny

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

There are some fantastic views around the UK , not one off them photos show the UK Sad

From my Ginger mate https://www.facebook.com/barrystewart.photography/photos/a.199488010108007.51229.179506948772780/893...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Or try,

www.sharkeysdream.co.uk

for more lakes photos

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just because 22,000 people submitted pics... and a panel of (say) 5 to 10 agreed that they liked twenty of them, does NOT indicate that those 20 have any talent...

Photography is purely in the eye of the beholder... you either like a pic ... or you don`t... talent of the person taking it is only a part of that pic... the skill and judgement of light and shade, colours &  perspective etc. is how the person taking the pic sees it... those viewing it may not be seeing the same things, therefore they may reject it.

Those 22,000 people`s pics have only been seen by "the panel"...i.e. about 10 views...  ( ok. so maybe they saw the same pic a few more times than that... but ....)

I have some pics on Flickr that have had thousands of views and many hundreds of "faves"...   ( Many other flickr users have had more than me, because they have a wider viewing group )..

here is a link to my 20 best pics over the past 7 years..    the small number after the date inidicates the position in the top 500 " Explore " category .

http://bighugelabs.com/scout.php?username=Skoda-Driver&sort=date&year=0

Now, I don`t claim to have talent... as most of those pics were just "one off" shots, with very little post processing,  maybe a bit of a crop to remove something from the edges, .. and I use a set of AUTO settings on my camera, so it does all the work for me.

I just enjoy taking pics.. if they turn out good, and if they get into EXPLORE, then that is a bonus..

so, no, I don`t call myself  a "photographer" as that implies a "profession"...  amateur photographer, maybe, I would accept that as a hobbyist name.

Minivanman
Hero

Well there are certainly some gob smacking photographs out there but I cannot help but feel that something has been lost since the days of film on a roll and pictures in black and white. There's a word for it I'm sure (reportage?) but one thing I am sure of is that treasured pictures seem no long that, given they are so easy to take and by the bucket load. 

Thankfully we still have those amongst us who are able to identify and 'capture the moment' and that's not something to be learned - or is it? I certainly never did anyway Smiley

Fixes: 47

Minivanman wrote:

I was taking similar photographs back in the 60s in black and white and developing them!

Around the same time I was developing and contact printing 127 film. Then upgraded to 120 film and finally 35mm along with an enlarger.

Getting that 'perfect' photo is either pure chance or months of research over different times of the day and the year.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Ah yes, I used those as well - especially the 120 which was I seem to recall a much larger film which meant the negatives gave more detail and much easier to handle. Worked for Philips Electronics at the time as a 'repairman' (black and white television tubes, 4'6d from Mullard) - anyways, they had a camera club so less of an expense when it came to equipment and stuff which of course very few could afford to buy back then.

Happy days, rubbish wages. Smiley 

PS. Reminded of when I found a roll of exposed 120 film a few years back that had been stuck in the back of a draw or something. It dated from the early 60s and I took a chance I could still get prints off it and yep, I could.... or rather the laboratory the chemist used did. 

How those forgotten came to light!    

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman

You are spot on with some of those comments, when I was young I would have loved to get into photography, had one of those 127 cameras then on to a 35mm which cost me about £14 at the time.

Mostly did slides cost of printing was way out of my league on grounds of cost, developing your own prints was 4 or 5 times the cost of getting them done at the chemist.

Whilst there is something 'magical' about reels of film, digital photography opened up a new world to me, I take thousands of photographs every year, mostly on walks and holidays, nothing exciting, just taken to remind me of places I have been,, no way could I afford to have taken even 1% of those if I was using film.

So from a personal view point digital has been good for me.

Fixes: 47

I used to buy 35mm black and white film in stock reels so I could cut off a 45 frame length and squeeze it into a cartridge.

The beauty of digital is that you don't run out of space easily.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Strat -you might not run out of space, but I have run out of batteries in the past. I don't now, though - if I know I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures (motor shows, long days out &c), I take lots of spares, plus the 'spare' camera.

John
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

shutter wrote:

Just because 22,000 people submitted pics... and a panel of (say) 5 to 10 agreed that they liked twenty of them, does NOT indicate that those 20 have any talent...

Infinity wrote:

Over 220,000 people entered the 2017 Sony World Photography Awards, which means that those who achieved top honours are very talented indeed.