cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to limit taxi drivers' hours

Community Veteran

Call to limit taxi drivers' hours

"Road safety charity Brake is calling on the government to limit the number of hours taxi drivers are allowed to work before they take a proper break.
The move is supported by the family of Gary Glymond who was knocked down and killed by a taxi in South Yorkshire on his 18th birthday in March last year. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8203775.stm
I must say I didn't realise they weren't already regulated like this. I somehow assumed they had tachographs .
Mind you there are other aspects of the taxi trade that need tidying up - many towns you find the taxis are older cars that have done huge mileages are are frankly a discrace.
Not everywhere of course - I know one taxi firm near Cambridge that has a lease agreement and has good cars always between 0 and 40,000 miles - so less than a year old, and another firm near here that has a similar deal with a Mercedes dealer and has C class diesels less than two years old.  And I think it's in Brighton the council insist all taxis are less tah a certain age/mileage and have a similar colour and I think cream bonnet.
1 REPLY
Community Veteran

Re: Call to limit taxi drivers' hours

It is the local authorities that are responsible for licencing Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles.  The vehicles are inspected once a year and the drivers undergo a criminal records check.  Hours of work are not controlled. 
In London the black cabs are more rigorously controlled but again I don't think hours are covered.  Many London cabbies will drive until they have earned a certain amount of money before going home.