cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to fit Anti-Speeding device to new cars.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Call to fit Anti-Speeding device to new cars.

I have just read this article on the BBC site, could this possibly be an option for drivers who have just passed or re-sat their driving tests due to disqualification or court order? The ISA could be turned off after x years of ‘safe’ driving.

22 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Call to fit Anti-Speeding device to new cars.

With regards to the 20mph speed limit, there is an item on my local news today saying many areas that have introduced them have actually seen a rise in accidents, tho' they didn't say what they believed the cause to be.

I've wondered for years if they could have a device triggered by speed signs that limit the speed of cars rather than cameras and fine drivers, but I suppose that wouldn't be as profitable.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

There is also a complete override switch with disables the system entirely. ?

so whats the point of fitting it

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

True @rongtw, but if the device were fitted by an insurance company for example then only they could program it, I don't think that is beyond the wit of man.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

The problem is that speed limit sign recognition is flawed!.

I have it on my car, albeit it just warns me by flashing a speed limit sign in the display. The problem is that on my drive to the office everyday, there is a section of dual carriageway with a 40mph speed limit. There is a set of busy traffic lights, and rush hour in a morning, everyone accerates away from the lights to 40mph. Now 50 yards from the lights is an access road to/from a group of houses, with a 20mph limit. The problem is that the 20 mph sign is at an angle and is 'spotted' by my sign recognition and warns me. Just imagine if it was connected to a speed limiter, I accelerate away from the lights, surrounded by 3 lanes of cars doing the same, all of a sudden I automatically decelerate to 20mph, absolute chaos!!

Community Veteran

I see no reason why that wouldn't be possible @Mayfly, if a sat nav knows where you are then the same satellite could instruct your car to limit itself to the maximum for the road. This of course could be taken to the extreme and take in to account weather data as well so where does it end.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I think it's likely to create as many accidents as it prevents, like in @MisterW situation above
Fixes: 125

They need to have sensible speed limits on many roads not just keep reducing them as in a local dual carriage that has been reduced from 60 to 50 with average speed cameras added.

Near where I live there is a two way road marked at national speed limit that has a turning that has a 40mph limit that changes after a few hundred yards to 30 just before a village and a large tescos. Why not have the whole road at 30 to save extra hard braking that I see many drivers do.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@DaveyH, I wouldn’t have thought that in the scenario that @MisterW cites, the car would suddenly go from 40 to 20 for the very obvious reason stated. I would assume, hope, that it would be a gradual decline in the vehicle’s speed. But this whole idea only works if every vehicle is fitted with such a device, and that would be a long time in happening, which may explain why existing systems like MisterW’s are only advisory.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If this was introduced what would the point be in purchasing a car that could do over 70 mph ?

There are times when you might want to exceed 70 mph for example if overtaking in the outside lane, is it not better to get past quickly and get into the nearside lane than keep level with others for a long distance ?

What about an emergency ? If you need to get to hospital quick better that someone drives you than wait for a hour or more for an ambulance.

Sure the above instances may well break the law but common sense may be more important than inflexible laws.

Should such a idea be introduced we might as well all buy cars similar to that used by Del boy & Trotter.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

If this was introduced what would the point be in purchasing a car that could do over 70 mph ?

A 2CV6 can do 71.5mph, downhill, with the wind at your back... Grin

Champnet
Rising Star

Sure the above instances may well break the law but common sense may be more important than inflexible laws.

Be interesting to see how that statement would be judged in a court case.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Champnet

The answer to that question depends on who you are and the amount of money you have for a good legal team.

If fact you might be able to get off most things irrespective of your guilt.

Smiley

Champnet
Rising Star

@gleneagles  You’re probably right but it was the use of  the phrase “common sense” I was questioning.

Recently a Judge ruled that “common sense” was inadmissible in court as the term means different things to different people. Searching on the legal sites shows the legal definition can be both simple and highly complex.

Back to the original post, I’ve long thought auto speed restriction would be very easy to implement, but would never happen due to the loss of a good revenue stream....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We all know that GPS sat nav is a reliable method of measuring vehicle speed, except for:

• Two roads running closely parallel to each other, such as a motorway flyover above a local road; two speed limits may apply.
  • Out of date GPS maps
  • At road works, where the temporary speed limit might not have been recorded, or since removed.
  • Temporary road work diversions not matching the stored map.
  • A nearby truck diver is using a GPS jamming device to defeat his employers GPS tracking.
  • Thieves using GPS jammers to partially defeat vehicle tracking
  • Signal reflection amongst high rise office buildings.
  • Deep valleys/tunnels affecting signals.
  • Heavy clouds can affect the signal.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.