Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call's to Disconnect File Sharers

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Call's to Disconnect File Sharers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8044251.stm
Realise i might have put myself in the firing line there, and deleted my post!  Wink
34 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Call's to Disconnect File Sharers

Don't sit on the fence, do you agree/disagree with these measures? No ISP should allow access to their network to law breakers.
Fixes: 104

we're all doomed then  Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I have a big problem with this suggestion.
Basically
- who identifies the illegal file sharers - music or film industry associations
- who decides they are persistent illegal file sharers - see above
- can the user appeal - not obviously and even then the burden of proof is with the defendent not the accuser
- will a Court order be required before the cutting off - no
This is typical of the approach - Guilty until proven innocent
Does it infringe on the European Human Rights Legislation - yes according to the latest information from Brussels in relation to the French action
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

OK off the fence i go  Cheesy
I'm totally against it, i aint paying sky £40 p/m so i can watch Lost/24 etc. So i will continue to download it thanks very much!
If file sharing became illegal i would definately switch to another ISP that is cheaper, for simpe browsing and email i dont need an 8MB line!
Fixes: 104

Err hate to burst your bubble but file sharing of copyright material is already illegal...
Will Moderate For Thanks
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Do you think if they stopped P2P sharing, someone will not come up with a different way?
scootie
Grafter

all i will say is spotify changed my music buying habbit and the music indurstry should take note.
alot of artists that i would of never come across have now found away to get at my money after i go in search of a legit cheap way to get that gem of not so well knowen track ive come across on spotify.
i never use to buy tracks from the like of apple before spotify.
spotify doesent get my money but like say if spotify didnt have all those artists and tracks i never knew about the record companys wouldnt end up with any of my money through apple ect.
so i think spotifys bussiness model should be to charge record companys to have there artists on there and not the way around it is now
They need to stop this rubish of chasing people through courts and embase the new model's of making money.
I can see the big boys of now disappering and a new generation of starters taking over the likes of EMI ect all because there looking at the new model's why EMI are sat in the past runnning round like headless chickens trying to frezze time with expensive lawyers.
i bet the lawyers are lauging all the way to the bank with the film and music indurstry's money at the moment
why not petion the govement to not take this recommendation on board.
iam sure they will listen to the mass tax paying, voting public that dont want there net access cut off due to mistakes being made by those that decide who they think have ilegaly file shared and then we have to go through lengthy court battle to prove are innocence and gain are net access again

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I tried spotify, thought it was ok but jumpy at night time (5-10pm)
I dont download music, i usually stream it from youtube if i want something on, the only time i listen to anything is in the car and its the radio!
Tyreal74
Grafter

deleted for personal purposes =]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

[Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim)  Can I point out the forum rule
Illegal file sharing
P2P (or peer-to-peer) software is not illegal in itself, nor is sharing files over it. What is illegal is the sharing of copyrighted files - over P2P or not. Therefore, discussions about P2P software in general are allowed on these forums... However, discussions about or links to sites distributing copyright material are not allowed.

This thread is heading a bit close to breaking it. Can I ask that discussions on  illegal file sharing are stopped otherwise we will be forced to lock the topic. ]
Lurker
Grafter

Non-Moderators note by James (James_G) : Can I point out the plain facts.
At risk of being accused of breaking another rule, I'd kindly suggest a re-read of the thread Mr Jim, and another re-read of the link:rules
The rule you quote is there to allow the moderators to remove any content which tells people where to find illegal material, and links to such places.
The rule you quote is not there to stifle free speech about proposed laws and peoples habits. If somebody wishes to incriminate *themselves* by stating that they break the law - this is not the business nor purpose of the moderators of the board.
This thread is no-where near breaking any rules, there are no mentions of places you might be able to go to break the law yourself, nor is there any intimation of intention to provides links to nor discussion of the same
Community Veteran

when will these morons get it through their thick heads that a great deal of filesharing is completely legitimate?  it's how i get my linux distributions and any free stuff available on the net.
these people keen on restrictions are running a failed business model and want bailed out like the banks.
if the isps keel over to this, what will be next?  the isps are providing a pipe.  how that pipe is used is up to the fuzz to police, not private business.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep - It amazes me that P2P has this taboo, as if it is the only way of obtaining illegal material (which it's not) and there aren't any legitmate uses of it.
Community Veteran

Moderators note by an actual moderator
A suggestion was given by a moderator to protect the guilty.  Those wishing to become moderators should perhaps make their request to one of the existing moderation team.
B.