Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Blocker

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Call Blocker

Yes I know that PN have a call blocker and it works except it does not work when it is a international call and the caller display shows the number as unavailable.

Is there any type of phone or system available that would block all incoming international calls ?

Looking on the internet I can find nothing that appears to do this yet I cannot understand that with all the technical and electronic wizardy that there is no system that can block these calls on a landline.

Or perhaps I am wrong....something does exist ?

If you know of anything please let me know as these frequent calls are a ( censored )nuisance.

Mods please leave this post in chat.

Moderators Note: Topic title fixed at op's request.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Call Blockerc

@gleneagles There are some BT phones on the market that do this but what models they are I can't say. I use a TrueCall device that does what you want and a lot more besides. You can find details of it here.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 187

@gleneagles 

Get a phone with BT Tru Call features such as this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787KRDFT/ref=pd_sbs_107_...

Calls in your phone’s memory come straight through. When others ring the caller is asked to identify themselves then press the hash key. Only after the caller does this does the phone ring. You then have the options to accept the call once, always accept the number, transfer the call to the answering machine or block the caller. This totally stymies automatic diallers used by spammers.

I have had one of the older models for many years now and not one unwanted call.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,179

agree, I have a BT8500 with call blocker and have not had one call come through that wasn't genuine.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Thanks for the replies which answer the question I asked.

@dvorak @Baldrick1 

My only concern with the BT8500 is the numerous comments on Amazon feedback about the quality of sound on the phone, important to me as my hearing is poor....I could try one from Amazon and if that was a concern send it back within 30 days.

@mook

That looks interesting, a bit pricy at £100 along with a annual fee of £20 but thanks for posting the link.

If the BT8500 does not work out that unit may be my only option.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,179

Mine are 4 years old now, so possibly a different version to the ones you can purchase today - though looking back through emails with a friend it seems those had mixed reviews too.
However, I've found the call quality is good on these - in fact they are the first phones we have owned where swmbo hasn't complained about the sound quality.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

Like @dvorak  I also have an 8500 and the sound quality seems fine to me. This was superceded by the 8600 some years ago, which again I believe to now be obsolete. Hence my link to a current version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not the cheapest option @gleneagles that's for sure considering the cost of the phone listed by @Baldrick1. Having said that I get firmware upgrades and a very detailed view of who is calling me, from where and what action they take. I can also change my handset should the need arise.

Call InfoCall Info

OK, this information maybe of no interest to some but in the 'My Calls' view on the website you can edit the call entry for storage, look the number up on the internet and even report it as a spam call.

Strat
Fixes: 506

I use the BT8600 and am very happy with its spam call blocking.

The only time it rings is from numbers in the contact list so I guess the spammers don't wish to leave their name or press the # button.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Without buying a new phone I recommend www.cprcallblocker.com.

I have the base model with Panasonic DECT phones and it does everything you could expect of it. Could never be without it now.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

I don`t have this problem....but I do read these threads, "just in case"...

@TeeGee 

Seems like those things are "pretty good" on the initial info.... however.. if you compare the figures of the cheapest , with the expensive one..

on the cheapest one for £50 ..

• 2,000 scam numbers pre-programmed
  • 1,500 number blocking capacity

So...  not sure exactly how that works.....  500 calls  difference.... possibly 500 scam calls not able to be blocked.. PLUS those "new numbers" always coming on to the market...

mean while.... looking at the expensive one

• 10,000 scam numbers pre-programmed
  • 2,000 number blocking capacity

8,000 scam numbers not able to be blocked... "plus those new numbers always coming on the market..... "

a comparison between the cheap version and the expensive version , makes the cheap version look... er... "cheap" especially if you consider there is an extra 6,500 KNOWN scam numbers NOT included on the pre-programmed section that can get through, due to the "low capacity" of the "number blocking facility"..

As I said, at the beginning... I don`t have this problem... we hardly ever get ANY phone calls... let alone scam calls... but are well aware that the next call COULD be a scam.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter 

The way I understand it is the units have a certain number of pre-programmed scam numbers but also have the ability to add the additional a further number (1500, 2000 etc.) in addition to the pre-programmed ones.

What the pre-programmed list consists of though might be open to debate. e.g. are there numbers included which are relevant to other countries but not the country where the unit is being sold?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 52

I have this model from BT, slightly more advanced than the one in @Baldrick1's link & a tenner cheaper!

Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@RobPN  Yeah but...... it does kinda show the indadequacies of the unit(s) the cheapest one, seems to be (almost) better than the expensive one, if you look at the numbers withouth taking too much notice.. 

and if the expensive one is ( the best )..  how many more numbers above the 10,000 KNOWN scam numbers are out there, that are not even covered by it for the money... the only true way, is to be conscious, when you answer your phone and "be careful out there...... "

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

I suspect that you are not aware of how these phones work. It doesn't matter how many scam callers there are out there. The key is that unless the scammers identify themselves they do not get past the automatic call filter. Scammers automatic diallers do not get past this stage. If a scammer should actually manually make the call and identify themself, something that has never happened in my case, the scammer has to identify themself. At this stage you can either block the call or at least be on your guard due to not knowing anything about them.