Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cafe and Resturant issues.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Cafe and Resturant issues.

Not sure if this is common across the country but in Lytham a lot more cafe's and resturants have opened with tables and chairs outside, no problem with that but counted at least 8 of these places with high powered electric heaters or calor gas heaters blasting out a fair bit of heat......what does that do for global warming ?

If it's too cold then you sit inside ?

And on the subject of cafe's the one we went to ( inside) had a table about 3ft square....how are 4 people expected to sit at such a table and eat a meal with all the other clutter on the table.

Rant over.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cafe and Resturant issues.

That seems to be the trend these days, eating alfresco, don't know why we don't really have the climate for it, here in the UK we have weather! It's not so bad though if there is plenty of room to walk past the tables and chairs, but there is nothing more infuriating than walking past only to have some clown barge into you with their chair as they attempt to rise and leave.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Just plain daft here in the UK but as Mook said, it seems to be the trend these days, but really?

Nice for the days when you can get the chance and myself and the Mrs never miss the opportunity to eat outside when the weather allows and the evenings are warm enough.

As for those outside heaters that's just plain daft, although we do have one of those chiminea type things for when it's worth using which to be honest it not very often and not usually worth the bother - and crikey don't they get hot!

All very super these new pavement cafes, and for some areas they have become part of the gentrification process but I tell you what, like those activists in Berlin recently if they try shutting down our Aldi's in Cardigan in order to ponce up the area they will have trouble on their hands. Tongue

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In a local high street councillors made a big deal when pavements were widened. Now far easier for parents and pushchairs and those with various disabilities to walk along.

Now years later every other shop has ad stands stuck out and cafes have tables and chairs everywhere. Even the council has ads on boards attached to lampposts to hit your head on. It looks pretty much a free for all with the pavement an obstacle course.

It's now worse to walk along than it was pre widening. Councillors are quiet on this probably as they're getting a good revenue from various businesses so sod the pedestrians.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well there is legislation along with the usual bylaws about this @billnotben so why not have a word with the Highways Office or even better, bend the ear of you local Councillor and demand answers?

Of course if you're feeling bolshie enough you could always ask the cafe owner/s by what right they are blocking the pavement - you might even get a free cup of café culture coffee... poured over your head. Cool_smiley 

artmo
Community Veteran

Oh dear! I see this topic has brought the usual doom-mongers out again.

If the weather's nice I love sitting outside with a coffee and watching the world go by.

Councils have powers to control the amount of pavement used for retail. Many charge a fee for the usage so council tax payers benefit.

As for the 'A' boards some retailers place on pavements, these are not allowed. A complaint to my local council will bring about a visit from an inspector and the retailer told to remove them.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

As do we all, but there has to be a limit on cafe chairs spilling out onto pavements that were not designed for them no?

No doom-mongers @artmo just being fair and practical and if the room is there, then more than happy m'self to sit outside and watch the world go by - and if that's the way things are developing and we all want to pretend eyes squinting that we are "all so contintental" even when it's raining cats, then let's knock ourselves out and make sure that cafe brolly with Pernod splashed all over it 'lest we forget' is fully waterproofed against our typical British weather. 

Maybe we should move to Las Vegas, what do you reckon. Wink

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@artmo wrote:

If the weather's nice I love sitting outside with a coffee and watching the world go by..

Nothing wrong with sitting outside with a drink in hand. Love that at a seaside cafe. But I struggle to see the attraction of sitting by the roadside of a busy high street.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Maybe we should move to Las Vegas, what do you reckon. Wink

Conversely in Vegas it is so hot outside everyone sits inside, in the Air Conditioned Malls, to drink.

We never see anyone sitting outside drinking hot drinks.

And you get continually pestered by touts on the Strip.

Oh, and there is, understandably, CSI memorabilia everywhere !

When we walk the Strip, we pop into every Air Conditioned Hotel as we pass.

We particularly like Caesars Palace, and the Venetian.

If you go, be sure to visit the Bellagio at night, a fantastic illuminated Water Fountain display.

In fact we prefer to walk the Strip at night, it is cooler.

And if you can, go on one of the Helicopter trips across Vegas at night.

Though a walk along Lytham Prom is nice too, we have family from there.

And a Lifeboat connection.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Anonymous 

I can't imagine the size of your Carbon footprint!  Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Seems the place to be cool and to keep cool. Cool

Son and his lady went over last year and and we have a niece and nephew there at the moment. Just the one 'holiday' flight to France for us in August, so we'll be raiding our penny jar for that one.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah well my cafe local doesn't have anything outside, I have been there a few times.

I don't like being outside anyway, if the weather is bad I'd rather not get wet and if it is too hot I'd prefer to be inside with air conditioning (if possible). Yes you can say I am not exactly a sun worshipper. Grin

Although I know they need licenses from the council to place things on the pavement, of course I think you can write on the back of a postage stamp how much councils will do for free. I know shops even need one to place an advertising board on the pavement, as some of the local shops have one and have to display it in their window.