Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cafe Culture on the rise

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Cafe Culture on the rise

With a cup of posh coffee and a piece of nutty cake needing a second mortgage, I'm really surprised about this. At those prices, give me a decent beer and a packet of peanuts every time. Wink  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38609692

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Cafe Culture on the rise

Weatherspoons are in most large towns and cities.......cup of coffee there is half the price of these fancy coffee bars.

Not for everyone, but I know which I would choose, omitting the coffee option for something else more to my taste.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

With a cup of posh coffee and a piece of nutty cake needing a second mortgage, I'm really surprised about this. At those prices, give me a decent beer and a packet of peanuts every time. Wink  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38609692

I blame this on the police, who harrass pub customers after a night out... they want to shut down the pubs, so they can have fewer police on the streets after dark, reducing their costs, and ensuring they get a good nights sleep ! Cheesy

Community Veteran

The only time I set foot in one of those places is when I have a free coffee voucher. And the only nutty cake I have is when they are handing out free pieces near the coffee shop.

Fixes: 47

I don't use coffee shops as I can't get a simple cup of coffee, white no sugar.

The only time I visited one which was on a motorway services, the staff member pointed above and behind her at a large board.

The board had names and prices of various drinks apparently all coffee based.

I hadn't a clue what to ask for so I left.

Why do they have to make getting a coffee so complicated.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

My experience exactly @Strat, and I agree totally, why is it so complicated?

Called into one near us in Cardigan (at Mrs Minivanman's insistence I hasten to add) and crikey, that was £10 gone! 

Coffee shops? Not my cup of tea,

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't mind a drink sometimes, but when with SWMBO I travel in to Bournemouth or Salisbury on the bus, which takes about the hour door to town, we feel a need for refreshment, and visit such places. Beer's not for me that early, and for SWMBO not at all.

Actually the quirkiness of some has a "je ne sais quoi" attraction, like today's venue Waterstones, with hotch-potch of old furniture- steel wooden seated school furniture, sugar lumps in a jar with hinge and levered fastener

It's a change from the norm, and thus enjoyable. Shoulf cost be the measure of everything?Huh.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I like to visit coffee shops. My favourite is Caffe Nero. Always good coffee.

@Strat If you ask for Americano with milk that will get you what you want Smiley

Fixes: 47

Thanks @artmo, I'll try that.

But it might come out through clenched teeth.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

@Luzern

"je ne sais quoi", at Waterstones?

Funny

Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

Thanks @artmo, I'll try that.

But it might come out through clenched teeth.

I have mine made with hot milk. It keeps the drink hotter longer. I will often spend an hour in a nice coffee shop reading a daily newspaper and watching the world go bySmiley

Fixes: 124

artmo wrote:

I like to visit coffee shops. My favourite is Caffe Nero. Always good coffee

I prefer Starbucks coffee and their muffins. I have always found Caffe Nero coffee leaves a bitter after-taste.

The best coffee I have found so far was at Goswell Road Coffee, near Islington, when I was there in 2015.

But i do agree that they are far too expensive and only go very occasionally as a special treatCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

@shutter

"I blame this on the police, who harass pub customers after a night out"

Was it ever thus shutter, I can recall when our cafe near Biggin Hill was raided by the police back in the mid 60s. Not a beer in sight just youngsters having a laugh, tea, fags, cheese rolls and of course our motorbikes.

Going into a pub back then especially with a leather jacket on was a definite "you, out!"    

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern

"je ne sais quoi", at Waterstones?

Yes, it's in the French dictionary section.

Luzern
Pro

Minivanman wrote:

@shutter

"I blame this on the police, who harass pub customers after a night out"

Was it ever thus shutter, I can recall when our cafe near Biggin Hill was raided by the police back in the mid 60s. Not a beer in sight just youngsters having a laugh, tea, fags, cheese rolls and of course our motorbikes.

Going into a pub back then especially with a leather jacket on was a definite "you, out!"    

Biggin Hill, isn't that near to the Holy Nigel's dwelling place? My memory from driving Uckfield to Beckenham at this season was mist and at night bleak darkness. There be evil about. Now back to Ni...Evil

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.