cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables, don't you just. love em

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cables, don't you just. love em

How long would it take you to connect a modern tv to a soundbar assuming both items were working ok ? five minutes ?

two minutes ?

Well I claim the record for the longest time it took to set the above up.

Minimal instructions provided but no real problem, just plug the HDMI cable in to each device, set the tv for the device and away you go except it was no go, must have spent several hours, connecting, reconnecting and trying several spare HDMI cables but still no joy, tried the optical connection and that worked ok.

So checking the internet I discover there are several types of HDMI cables and there is one with ethernet connection used for the sound, purchased one from cpc which is 10 minutes away from me and everything works fine.

Why do these companies not supply the appropriate cable with the box ? cost is around £3 or if they are too tight to do that at least include in the instructions that this specific HDMI cable is required.

I bet some people has actually returned goods like this thinking they were not working.

Sure all you IT guys will be aware of the above but the average person ie: me. will not be aware of it

29 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Cables, don't you just. love em

The HDMI with Ethernet isn't used for sound, it's used to network together devices that support it.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

Sounds more like to me like you're using the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature introduced in HDMI v1.4 but weren't using the appropriate ARC enabled HDMI sockets

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

I used Bluetooth to connect my soundbar Cool

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Well at PC world Sad  the salesmen do tell you if you need a cable ,,,, BUT

they sell you the most expensive ones , My neighbour was sold a Gold connection one £29.99 , hes unsure how to connect it he asked me around , had a look Hold on i said dont open it , went into my alladins cave of cables Smiley  found a free one i got with a GFX card ,, and he was away Thumbs Up took his back for a refund Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PowerLee
Rising Star

When I added a sound base to my tv, I just connected both via the HDMI ARC sockets with a suitable HDMI lead & then changed 1 setting for sound set up on the tv.

The HDMI ARC sockets provided on modernish equipment makes set up basically easy for people.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

Why do these companies not supply the appropriate cable with the box ? cost is around £3

You forget that back in the 80s it was too much for them to include a mains plug that could be found in a £1 shop. Actually thinking about it, it's probably the huge numbers of them made for £1 shops that brought the price of them down but either way, back then you still had to get it fitted if you couldn't DIY and the applicance didn't come with one.

These days everything comes with a mains plug and the supplies of spares that people like me have kept around the home seem redundant (I've not fitted one for over 10 years) and I'm amazed that shops still sell them quite frankly.

So when you put it into perspective, that £3 cable might not be much to you but you're still luckier than you would have been 30 years ago!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ugh, plugs, I hate the moulded plugs, especially when they put them on high current devices and they subsequently melt, or deform, so I keep phenolic plugs to hand for when I need to upgrade them to something a little bit more resistant to burning up... Crazy2

Though speaking of moulded plugs, I "fixed" nextdoor's old washer (behind which they suffered a squirty water leak and the plug & socket got soaked) by lopping off the charred plug (due to it arcing across the wet plug) and fitting one of my phenolics, and the washer came back to life, running off an 800VA UPS, in the shed, with no water supply, so ended up with a free washer, it's a POS, but it's still free... Funny

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's a bit the same with USB cables. Like early Fords the plugs to the appliance end come in many sizes, but they're all black. Takes ages to find the one to charge the phone .

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

DaveyH wrote:

The HDMI with Ethernet isn't used for sound, it's used to network together devices that support it.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

Sounds more like to me like you're using the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature introduced in HDMI v1.4 but weren't using the appropriate ARC enabled HDMI sockets

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Thanks,

I was using the correct sockets as they were clearly marked and worked first time with the appropriate HDMI cable but thanks for the links

Smiley

Fixes: 47

I have an LCD TV and an AV receiver.
I have to use an HDMI lead and an optical cable to get TV sound into my AV unit because my TV doesn't have ARC.
Yet another reason for upgrading my TV.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

My love hate relationship with cables is when the damn things get tangled up. How the heck does that happen? You put them away tidy enough and when you go to use them again it's as if some gremlin tied knots in them, and heaven forbid you put several away in the same box - that's just asking for trouble!

It's a mystery I have yet to solve. Crazy2

PS. And don't get me started on having to untangle last years Christmas lights. Grrr. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've tried to get over the tangle problem by elastic bands to hold both ends together on those not in use at time,

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

And don't get me started on transformers. Sure they are all marked with voltage and amp output and some of the devices we use them for are usually marked with similar information but if it's in a case or not clearly visible does anyone bother checking, although rare there have been cases of fires where the wrong transformer was used.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Back in the olden days...

You had serial cables and parallel cables each had multiple connectors e.g 9 pin or 25 pin; male or female...

Not to mention SCSI cables - many more possibilities!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

And don't get me started on transformers. Sure they are all marked with voltage and amp output and some of the devices we use them for are usually marked with similar information but if it's in a case or not clearly visible does anyone bother checking, although rare there have been cases of fires where the wrong transformer was used.

I've used the wrong wallwart on things before now, not creating fire, but definitely releasing the smoke that all electricals run on, but that's what happens when barrel plugs are interchangeable between voltages, whether by design, intent or manufacturer stupidity...