cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet reshuffle

Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16,555
Thanks: 1,800
Fixes: 125
Registered: 06-04-2007

Cabinet reshuffle

No, SWMBO hasn't been moving the tins around again so I can't find my semolina Cheesy
Following today's reshuffle brought to mind a question that I've never actually asked before.
Frequently if you change jobs even within the same company there's a period of training and settling in yet ministers get moved from one position to another and, let's face it, these are very demanding posts which hold a great deal of responsibility.
We are expected to believe that the Minister for Education, for example, can immediately step into the position of Minister of Foreign affairs without so much as a blink of an eye. How does this work? I assume they must have an army of advisors but that is no substitution for experience.
Just wondering if any of the more knowledgeable about these things can enlighten me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,766
Thanks: 1,124
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Re: Cabinet reshuffle

There was more than a grain of truth in the TV series Yes Minister Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16,555
Thanks: 1,800
Fixes: 125
Registered: 06-04-2007

Re: Cabinet reshuffle

Yes - that thought did cross my mind Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,545
Thanks: 191
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Cabinet reshuffle

Absolutely right. They have briefs prepared for them by their civil servants and can be up and running in a matter of hours as if they've been doing the job for years.
Devonian
Grafter
Posts: 1,854
Registered: 01-05-2011

Re: Cabinet reshuffle

Let's be honest, the Cabinet may as well be scrapped, they can't do anything without the EU masters approval.
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,735
Thanks: 12
Registered: 02-02-2008

Re: Cabinet reshuffle

Quote from: Strat
There was more than a grain of truth in the TV series Yes Minister Wink
Abs-bloody-lutely!  Grin
SWMBO works in a Whitehall department where they have just lost their minister. No further clues will be forthcoming whatsoever.
The senior management were running round today like the proverbial blue-arsed flies preparing briefings for the new bod.
(And yes, they did know well before either the public announcement or, quite probably, the departing minister)
TORPC
Grafter
Posts: 5,163
Registered: 08-12-2013

Re: Cabinet reshuffle

Quote from: HPsauce

The senior management were running round today like the proverbial blue-arsed flies preparing briefings for the new bod.
(And yes, they did know well before either the public announcement or, quite probably, the departing minister)
Quote from: artmo
Absolutely right. They have briefs prepared for them by their civil servants and can be up and running in a matter of hours as if they've been doing the job for years.

Ewe