cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRASH - who pays ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

CRASH - who pays ?

OK... so,   you park your car in the street, along with all your neighbours... You, and they, are all sitting in front of the telly, when BANG... CRash!...   you get out of your comfy chair, and find that some toe-rag has smashed into your car, while being chased by the cops...doing thousands of pounds worth of damage... possible write off..

Or... you are bimbling along, minding your own business, probably going out for the evening... all dressed up and somewhere to go... keeping to the speed limit, along the major route, to your destination, when suddenly, another toe-rag... ( the other one has been nicked ! )...again, being chased by police. belts out of a side road, straight into your rear passenger door, and does severe damage... car is a write off.

Both these situations have been shown on T.V. "Road Wars"... in both cases, the driver was not insured, probably had his licence taken away..  etc...

so who pays for your damaged car?  If you are on Comprehensive, your insurance "should" cover you... BUT why should you have to have increased premiums because of some toe-rag smashing up your car.

Do the police have any responsibility for the crash and do they pay out compensation to the victims of their actions ?

16 REPLIES 16
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: CRASH - who pays ?

There is a uninsured drivers section at the Motor insurance Bureau. A levy is made on all insurance policies to cover this: https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-uninsured-driver/

Whether you get a pay out or not I don't know, but a lot of the mainstream insurers now include uninsured driver loss. Even if the accident isn't your fault, the premium still goes up the following year!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Interesting to see that new telly ad doing the rounds. Along the lines of - had a crash, not your fault, why should you lose your no claims etc. I think it's from yet another bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers. But probably just what's needed by a lot of drivers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Slightly off topic but most companies offer protection of no claims providing you do not make more than one claim in a year but in small print it also says you premiums may go up on renewal !

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 87

@shutter 

It sounds pretty unreasonable to me to suggest that the police are responsible. They do consider risks when chasing felons but if they had to let every criminal get away in case they damaged a car where would we be?  So that only leaves your insurance company. The question to my mind is whether this should impact on your insurance premiums.

There is an argument of course in the parked car example that you leave a car overnight in a vulnerable location so the risk for your insurers is higher. Note that I am citing this as an example of how insurers might think,, not condoning such an approach.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

The simple answer to me is when someone is caught, charged and found guilty of a driving offence and who have no insurance then they should be made to pay for the damage as part of their sentencing, and if the don’t pay within a fixed time, set at the time, they get jailed, maybe 1 month for every £500 of damage caused.

The damage should also cover infrastructure, clean up time and personnel just to give them something to consider.

Community Veteran

I vote for @Mook  to be  Home Secretary. 

I, too, would like to live in an ideal world ! ! !

Baldrick1
Hero

Surely in this ideal world there would be no criminals or car damage so there is no need for a Home Secretary?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Ah but there’s the rub @shutter, there is nothing stopping the Judges or Sheriffs from doing this, they already have the powers to do this in the form of Fines and Compensation Orders, but for whatever reason(s) choose not to.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Mook A few years ago I had a car stolen and written of by a young getleman. The insurance paid up for the car and the last I heard the Insurance company were trying to recoup their losses from him thro the courts. The lad was awaiting trial for buglary at the time of the offence and was committing anther burlary whn the police caught up with him. They chased him n my car and he ploughed it into a wall.Wasnt charged with stealng my car but got 4 and a hlf years for the burglaries.Crazy3

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Surely in this ideal world there would be no criminals or car damage so there is no need for a Home Secretary?

Nah.... that`s not an ideal world.... that`s fantasy world ! ! ! ... Cheesy

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

... and if caretaker Corbyn gets in as PM then he'd have his old flame Abbott as Home Secretary.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Evil

Baldrick1
Hero

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

I wonder what he said when he found out she'd blabbed about their trip?

Maybe "Well I'll be blowed"

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

This is a bit OT. DT published  a premium piece in yesterday's Money Sectio, 'Drivers face insurance hit and run'.

I managed with some difficulty to scan it and save it; it was scanned diagonally to include all, the straightened. The result is not perfect, but I hope reasonable.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.