Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CQ CQ CQ... any Radio Hams out there?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

CQ CQ CQ... any Radio Hams out there?

Twix

Any radio hams using WebSDR?  if so, can you tell me if it is possible to use the sound output from that, on the same computer/laptop to decode onscreen via another program?
23 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: CQ CQ CQ... any Radio Hams out there?

That reminds me I have to get a Ham Joint for the weekend Tongue Wink
Sorry shutter I couldnt resist a little light humour, however I hope I have not offended any vegetarians who may report my post Wink
On a serious note
My late father used to be into Radio Ham and he used to quite regular use an old 19 set to which he had lots of spare valves just incase, my word the difference in size and weight to the CB rigs was outstanding when I was knee high to a grasshopper (wait I aint much taller now I am in my 40's) Wink
Approx 14 CB's on their side would = 1 x 19 set including the top half with the dials
The closest I could find to my dads setup however he did not have the 2 round cylindrical items on the top right of each unit (whatever they are) and he did not have the unit on the far left

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I don't use WebSDR, but used to decode Morse & RTTY etc feeding the audio from an AR7030 into the PC sound card.
Can't see why your plan wouldn't work - after all the sound is still going through the sound card, albeit directly rather than from an external source.
Hope it works... from a licensed but inactive G6.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Yes, I have worked a Number 19 set too... I think the two tubular things on the top are to do with aerial ( antenna ) tuning....and "tank" tuning...  but can`t remember.... so long ago.. ( over 50 yrs  )
Yes, I also, have decoded SSTV.... HF FAX,  RTTY, and many other digital modes using my receivers ( FRG 8800,  Drake R8,, and Kenwood R5000, are the current ones )... however, they use the line out and mic in via a lead.... and that is then processed by the soundcard and the particular program in use... WEBsdr, is brillliant for reception on phones... ( or external speakers ), however, my query was relating to HOW to "connect"  the WEBsdr side to the decoding program.. as it would be done "internally" I presume...  ( just had a thought.... though I don`t know whether it would work... and external link from phones out back into mic in Huh? ) 
WEBsdr provides a much "cleaner" signal, with (probably) 50% to 75%, less RF noise, so signals to be deocded would be much better quality than on my receivers..
Incidentally,..... For those with the skill.... CW is alive and well, over the internet.... using a program called  MRX CWCOM.... no licence necessary, and all contacts are 599 ! ! .. no QRM, QRN, or QSB... 
You can use a bug key, or a straight key.... if if you don`t have a key...you can use the down arrow key on the keyboard...
You can see me working CWCOM  on my mini laptop from the car on a free WIFI connection, at Chichester Canal centre....  http://nemosphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/cwcom-mobile-operation.html
below is my "operations desk"
Community Veteran

Ooooh ooooh I know I know.. the missing letter is I
As in.. ICQ - the chat program:

Just adding my 10% Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

No, 7Up.... there is no missing letter  Roll eyes
CWCOM is similar, but really dedicated to the use of CW, i.e. morse code

Forgot to mention.... you do not need a HAM Callsign or  licence to use CWCOM....  you don`t even have to register !... and it is FREE
TORPC
Grafter

I see your making new waves with the new image app Smiley
Community Veteran

Lol as I said to you before I was using it ages ago way before you! - I posted a topic about it once (not that I can find it via google lol)
TORPC
Grafter

Ive been using it since it started Wink
However on the above occasion I was referring to our good friend shutter Smiley as he is new to the program we are accustomed to Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

73 de G4UOL (GD4UOL) 1983-2000 SK but still alive! . .  Wink
Community Veteran

G4UOL DE GEMS = qrv cwcom ? =  K
TORPC
Grafter

Dads was GW6WSY if memory recollects correctly Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Ive been using it since it started Wink

Ditto!
Quote from: TORPC
However on the above occasion I was referring to our good friend shutter Smiley as he is new to the program we are accustomed to Wink

Yet he's not used it in this thread?  Huh But I did to show ICQ (or a very old version of it). ICQ was the bees back then, it could pretty much do everything from IM to checking and sending email. The latest versions are all upgrades of the ICQ 'lite' version which was always ****.
TORPC
Grafter

Now you mention it thats true and my bad  Embarrassed
Never had the reason to use ICQ although that version look like pre XP (I could be wrong)
Back then it was Quality over Quantity now it is in complete reverse since there is no pride in the workplace anymore Sad
Community Veteran

looks like 98 / 99 as 2000 went all weirdly graphical.
Incidentally after finding that image above on google I downloaded the old 99 version to see if i could get it working. No! 2000b however did (though it's featureless compared to 99).
Those were the days.. talking to people on icq and it displaying emails as they came in lol
Yahoo was getting there for features but it had too many spammers. MSN was superior for reliability but they shut that down and bought skype.. which is just awful in every sense along with reliability.