cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPR - A Simplified method

Community Veteran

CPR - A Simplified method

The famous Mayo Clinic has brought out an amended method of CPR which avoids mouth-to-mouth and is extremely easy to learn.
CPR
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: CPR - A Simplified method

Well worth watching..... thanks for posting... Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't see how a lone first-aider could possibly keep that up for any length of time. At least the currently approved method of CPR in the UK allows the first-aider a "breather" after each series of compressions.
Community Veteran

I think the video makes it clear the oxygen in the blood that is being pushed to the brain is only about a 10 minute supply.  In that time an ambulance should have arrived.  The method doesn't look to stressful on the operator. 
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I don't know if you have ever tried administering CPR. You are supposed to give 100 compressions per minute of an appropriate depth. I've tried it with a dummy and it is very tiring. I would not last anything like 10 minutes. Having looked around since reading the OP there are many places which say that two or more first aiders are needed changing over every 1-2 minutes.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Personally I would use the old way of doing CPR, less chance of breaking their ribs and putting a rib bone through there heart or lung.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

The current British advice is that there is not yet enough evidence to justify changing from the current CPR methods. Some pros and cons are listed here.
http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/compCPRs.htm
The matter remains under review. Any official first aider / medical professional is obliged to follow these procedures.
The St John Ambulance website has first aid advice, including short MP3 files to download free, for how to deal with various emergencies.
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-advice.aspx
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
... including short MP3 files to download free, for how to deal with various emergencies.

Would one of those .mp3 files include a Cilla Black song? That would wake the dead let alone the unconscious.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

'Anyone who had a heart' perhaps Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

alanf, thanks for the links.  The Resuscitation Council link doesn't rule out the method but simply says it reserves a judgment until a conference to be held later this year.  By then there will be at least 2 year's experience to evaluate.
There is also one sentence which was also mentioned in the Mayo video, 'If you are not able, or are unwilling, to give rescue breaths, give chest compressions only'.  Obviously under these conditions then this method may save a life.
And yes, I have given and taught CPR but only like you on a dummy.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that video first appeared mid 2008.  and doesnt seem much different to the methods I did in the early 90's for a RedCross First Aid certificate.  Going back to the Arc I did my first one for the RNLI Bronze medal in about 1960, this is the mob photo
went onto the Award of merit and served a bit of my time as poolside at the Local Swim pool.  The first aid bit was for the Works trips to Italy looking after a lot of idiots who should have known better.
My First CPR was the Holger-Nielsen method, then through various other the latest was combined chest and mouth to mouth, two people
Interesting that the one on the video is over the Right breast and not over the Heart
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Nearly died in Minorca 15 years ago, but for the chance happening of there being a group of Spanish nurses on the beach nearby where I was pulled out of the water. They turned me over face down, jammed a (mine) snorkel tube crosswise in my mouth to stop me biting my tongue, and proceeded to apply the really old-fashioned Shaffer method of artificial respiration. They saved my life.
Had a really interesting experience of my near-death recovery. But its not the point of this thread.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I guess when your life depends on it then it doesn't matter what method they use so long as it works.  Glad you recovered from your ordeal Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: artmo
'Anyone who had a heart' perhaps Roll eyes Roll eyes

I don't think that is 100 beats per min. It has been widely reported that Nellie The Elephant is the ideal tempo but that too may need to be reviewed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6804220/Nellie-the-Elephant-helps-medics-administer-CPR...
I particularly like "A previous study by the University of Illionois medical school found the Bee Gees disco anthem Stayin' Alive was, at 103 beats per minute, close to the ideal rhythm. " Smiley
Community Veteran

I attended several first aid courses over the years, as an apprentice, in the Royal Navy, and several more since,
I never seem to well with the bandaging parts, but the CPR is good.
Fortunately I've never had to do it for real, the most I've encountered was a bicyclist being knocked of his bike in Baker Street - close to 221 ! Even then someone else lept to his aid, and left me to do the 999 bit on my mobile phone, that was in about 1995.
But back to CPR - it is very tiring I agree, I'm a fairly big fit guy - but I found it wasn't always easy.