cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO alarm recommendations please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

CO alarm recommendations please

Looking to purchase a Carbon Monoxide alarm...but there seems to be a lot of "specs" around...

I notice that some have a BS EN number in the spec.... . 50291:2001   or 50291 -2- 2012  or 

EN 50291-1: 2010, EN 50291-2: 2102

I don`t know what those numbers stand for....but... am I right in thinking that the "better" of the three, would be the one with 2012 in the number.... assuming that is the date of the test to the 50291 standard ?

Any advice /recommendations appreciated. 

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: CO alarm recommendations please

@shutter As they all conform to the same 'base' standard, the only real consideration is which is to the latest revision. From my experience - in the steel trade, so slightly 'off topic' - from a consumer point of view I would just go with the latest 'release'. I don't think you would notice any difference.

John
Gel
All Star
Fixes: 20

2012 is current Standard- 50291-2 is Standard regards siting/ installation.
Make sure you get one that has the BS Kitemark logo on, which'll confirm the product
has been independently verified to the relevant EU Standard ie the product is regularly verified and the factory it's made in. Many on amazon/e bay just show the CE mark. This is a cop out, as manufacturer/ importer is saying it conforms with the relevant standard, but no costly/ time consuming 3rd party testing.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Just bought a couple of these and they are a nice bit of kit,  they run on 3 x AA size alkaline batteries and have a digital readout of present level in PPM and a peak level memory displayed at the press of a button.  You can either stand it on coffee table or hang it on the wall  - it beeps as batteries start to get low and 'LB' displayed,  and 'END' displayed 10 years after unit first powered up.. and not very expensive really - and a 10 yeat alarm life - probably 3 x AA alakaline batteries every couple of years

https://www.safefiredirect.co.uk/smoke-fire-gas-detection/carbon-monoxide-detectors/battery-powered/...

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Bit of a guide on those numbers, 50291-2010-part 2 units are more rugged

as they can be fitted in vehicles and are more immune to vibration and

movement.- the Kidde alarm in my previous post is part 2 2010 and is

suitable for home, motorhome, caravan and boats

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/british-standards-for-co-alarms/

Community Veteran

@wotsup  Thanks for the linky on that one.... it is a "mid way" price between the lowest price and next higher price for both B&Q and Screwfix,  who , both seem to stock the same "brand"  under the name of FIRE ANGEL...

Never heard of them....but have heard of KIDDE fire extinguishers... and believe they are pretty well known in the fire prevention business. 

I think that I will order one and report back in 10 years... If I am still alive then... If not...don`t blame the CO Alarm... it will more likely be "old age"  ! ! !..

@Gel  Looking at the PDF "manual"... it does show a BSI Kite mark... so thanks to you for that advice.

A note to all CO Alarm users.. 

Our tame plumber came today to do a check on our central heating boiler,... and he said that you should be aware that you should (have) write the date of purchase on the alarm, and know when the expiry date (in years) is... when the expiry date arrives, you should throw away the "old"  CO Alarm.. . as the sensor will be no further use, and the alarm wll NOT FUNCTION.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Kidde are a USA company, one of the biggest, I have just fitted Kidde smoke and heat alarms

to replace out of date ones - they are good kit and the wireless feature is eazy peazy to link

up to each other. 

I have heard bad things about Fire Angel kit, like the 10 year lithium batteries only lasting

a couple of years before they begin chirping.  In fact we had some in a holday cottage

we rented last year and we had to complain to owner about the alarms chirping all the time

( very annoying at night ) and she said they were only 18 months old.

This is the second time I have fitted new alarms in our house and I do write the expiry

date clearly in permanent pen on the units,  same as i write the date they were fitted

on car and motorbike batteries - it may help the next person who gets the car or bike.

Community Veteran

@wotsup  thanks for the "extra" info there... was going to buy direct from them... but the price was ex-vat... and ex- postage... so put the item name into google and "safelincs" site     

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-line-digital-co-alarm-7dcoc-kidde/

came up offering same KIDDE alarm for less then KIDDE ex vat price..... and also including FREE  delivery ! ! .. so less than half price...

It pays to shop around... ! .

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I fitted one of those a couple of years back, but like our fire alarm and motion detector I don't think they work as none of them have actually gone off.  😉

Seriously though, some good advice there.

Just don't buy cheap and try to buy British... but you'll already know that.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Avoid anything made by Fire Angel.
I've had dealings with there products in the past & I now wont have them in the house.

Smoke alarm that after 6 months started to smell of burning due to being from there stealthily recalled batch.

The FOC replacement where the 10 year battery never made it till its 2nd birthday - that then wouldn't shut up & had to be drowned in a bucket of water.

The CO2 alarm that failed to sound when tested with the test button & still failed to sound when tried with fresh batteries.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@PowerLee 

Although I joke about such things I would not trust them.

My CO2 alarm activated just the once last summer for no reason. The gas cooker had not been in use for at least a couple of days and our wood burner had not been fired up for months - and they would have been the only source of any of CO2. The 2 Fire Angels I have again activate for no reason or failing that, give off that constant bip to tell me the hard wired battery was running low after less than a year. Don't have a motion detector - I was only only kidding about that.

Not saying don't have these things, just saying don't rely on them. I don't.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hmm, that's a thought, should check what brand the CO alarm that mysteriously appeared ontop of the boiler cupboard is, I never put it there and the mother certainly couldn't reach up there either, so must have been a boiler inspection person or something... 🤔

PowerLee
Rising Star

Just checked - my current CO2 alarm is Kidde branded & has 5 years left before it's due replacement date.

It also sounds / flashes when the test button is pressed - unlike the Fire Angel one it replaced.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Like those multiple gadgets in cars, we rely on such things far to much in my opinion. They are just a tool in the tool box, not the abrogation of responsibility - or common sense come to that.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

After another uneventful visit to tesco, I checked the CO alarm on the boiler cupboard...

FireAngel................

Great... 🙄