cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CD ripping

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

CD ripping

In spite of it being "old tech" I'm quite new to this, and only because my latest car has MP3 input.
However, while attempting to "rip" an old compilation CD called "Leaders of The Pack" which features largely the Phil Spector girl groups of the 60's and 70's; Matha and the Vandellas, The Supremes, The Chiffons and many others, I noticed that in the play list in the ripping software that all 23 track titles were completely different from the titles printed on the disc and those that most of us would recognise.
Not just different but, but bore no resemblance to the song titles whatsoever, I can understand that in some cases song titles were changed by the writers or producers for their own reasons, but all 23...!!
Needless to say the tracks played are those expected.
Is this common?
While on MP3, I can download an MP3 file (from a Google listing), it will appear in my download folder, and apparently transfer to my MP3 player, but it comes with a warning that I will not be able to see the track or play it, which I can confirm is exactly what happens.
How then can I see and play the track?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: CD ripping

sounds like your ripping software simply mis-matched the CD and provided the wrong details from the database it uses.
Community Veteran

Uhmm! that sounds plausible, the disc in question is at least 25 if not more years old.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Actually its still available from Amazon (only one left at £24.99) but doesn't give a release date.
Edit/
Not as old as I thought 1992
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Leaders-Of-The-Pack-The-Very-Best-Of-60s-Girl-Groups/release/2172636

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the date of it and whether it is still available is irrelevant really.
the software simply tries to match it to something in the database at the time of ripping.
it will have mis-matched it with something that has a similar title, hence why everything is wrong.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

windows media player is a decent cd ripper, it also gets the songs correct far more often than it doesn't
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
Actually its still available from Amazon (only one left at £24.99) but doesn't give a release date.
Edit/
Not as old as I thought 1992
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Leaders-Of-The-Pack-The-Very-Best-Of-60s-Girl-Groups/release/2172636

As its on Amazon and discogs it will be easy to correct the tags, as many of the ripping/tagging applications will use those as  sources.
Community Veteran

The CD has a disc ID which *should* be unique to that compilation but often back in t'older days duplicates happened so a couple of different CDs would have the same disc ID. I remember back in 1999 ish ripping a load of my discs and often was presented with a couple of choices of which disc I had.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Note that the 'disc ID' is not something that is encoded on the disc but rather is calculated by the ripping software / media player based on the length and order of the tracks. Hence, whilst in most cases this results in a unique identifier there can be cases where two different albums have the same number of tracks with each matching in length.
If the software didn't prompt you to manually select the album from a list of potential matches then chances are whichever online database it uses simply didn't have your album in it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I got given an album a year back of my favourite group and like the op, mine didn't match up when checked with the cddb either. Rather frustrating to say the least - the last thing anyone wants to do is spend 15 mins manually updating the mp3 tags for the file. I was using windows media player and admittedly learnt my lesson there.
So.. I did it in winamp instead and from memory that got it right..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Petlew
While on MP3, I can download an MP3 file (from a Google listing), it will appear in my download folder, and apparently transfer to my MP3 player, but it comes with a warning that I will not be able to see the track or play it, which I can confirm is exactly what happens.
How then can I see and play the track?

Can you convert the mp3 to a .wav format?
This is what's wrong with DRM.
You may need to use a DRM removal tool.
It's easy to convert  .wav to a decent quality mp3.

nanotm
Pro

when you download music from google's store on your pc did you copy the file direct to your mp3 player or did you first copy it into a different folder ?
iirc closing any and all google process's then opening the music manager folder and copy the file to another folder on the hard drive first removes the drm clamps they put onto the music files, certainly that's what happened with my various devices when I was copying music files to them some months back.
if your files are still unusable then convert them to wma and back to mp3 but recoding takes time and a simple file copy n paste first might well fix the problem its got to be a better option Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Kremmen
Rising Star

I've performed lots of mp3 cd ripping for car use and the only thing to remember is when you rip the cd you need to use 'data' mode and not the normal cd music mode.
If you get it wrong the tracks end up being .cda and you will only get 20 tracks or so on the cd. With .mp3 data mode you will fit hundreds.
Let's be careful out there !