cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCleaner

Community Veteran

CCleaner

I know a number of posters use CCleaner. Here's an article I received from friends in Spain earlier.

CCleaner

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: CCleaner

To me CC is one of those many things that you don't really need to update.

I'm still using the same pro version from years ago which does everything I want it to.

With no "extras".

VinceMarsters
Grafter

Had CCleaner years ago and the only benefit I have seen recently is on low storage devices as it does seem to remove more of the Windows Update leftovers than the built in tools do. Since all of my PC's now have ample space spare, I no longer have it installed and won't be reinstalling it any time soon.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

@artmo Thanks for the info..... been using CCleaner for years .!... I also use another one called "Free Internet eraser"... which seems to find some things that CCleaner misses,... and vice versa... so I use to run both - twice !

My version is the previous one mentioned in the article... and so I have just done a quick search for an alternative... and this one seems to cover pretty much the same as CCleaner..

http://www.eusing.com/Window_Washer/Internet_Eraser_Features.htm

for registry cleaning... I already have Eusing Reg cleaner.

Community Veteran

From my contact another article suggesting a different approach.

Cleaning PC

Any comments?

Community Veteran

I`m using Windows 7 Professional.... that article seems to be biased to Windows 10..

Plus... trying to get the "windows" cleaned using "windows" programs, sounds a bit more complicated than clicking a icon on the desktop at the end of the day.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

For finding which unwanted, forgotten programs are using up the most space I find 

TreeSize Free very useful.

Lists everything in size order.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran

I used CCleaner once and it really caused problems for me as I didn't know what it was doing to my PC.

I guess there is no simple answer to this question but is there a programme that can be used that is safe to use in cleaning up the PC and also helping to speed up opening and shutting down times? Currently I am using AVG Free and Malwarebyte.  Are the W10 progs mentioned in the link in post#5 enough?

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

I never got on with CCleaner. It always dumped certain info regardless of I asked it do or what I ticked. Haven't used it for years.

Community Veteran

@artmo  Have a go with this one..... You need to go through the settings and re-start it (after all completed)  for them to take effect .

It does have a page where you can see what is running at "start up" ... so presumably , you can edit that page, and remove/disable stuff you won`t need, thus speeding up your "boot up " time.

You can also set the "overwrite" number of times on the erase section...

Instead of using AVG... why not use Microsoft Security Essentials ( windows defender) ..  You may have to download it, if it is not already installed... it automatically updates the virus data base, and works in the background . ( I am using Windows 7 Professional -   not sure if it is on Windows 10  ) .....

( to check.... type       microsoft security essentials     in the box above the START button ) .

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 3

Used CCleaner for many years without problems - some useful utilities, one of which comes in handy for removing it from your list of startup applications, although it puts itself back on the startup list every time you run it! Knuppel

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

CCleaner users..Beware.

I just spotted this and thought I'd share it..just in case.

CCleaner tries to explain shady behavior

Piriform, the developer of bloatware-cleaning tool CCleaner, is on the defensive after users spotted the version 5.45 of the app monitoring their activity without consent. Netizens noted that even when they turned off Active Monitoring in the app CCleaner continued to collect some data about what they were doing, and phoned it home to the developers' servers. This led some to question whether turning off Active Monitoring really did anything.

As it turns out, Active Monitoring itself is switched off when you disabled it, but that doesn't stop other telemetry from being beamed back to base.

Pirifarm said that even when its Active Monitoring tool is turned off, it will still collect, for its own internal analytics, some anonimised information, such as the installed version, which features have been used, and details useful for hunting bugs. The developer, though vague on exactly what is slurped, assured users that the snooping was nothing to be afraid of.

"The information which is collected through these new features is aggregated, anonymous data and only allows us to spot trends," Piriform explained. "This is very helpful to us for the purposes of improving our software and our customers’ experience. No personally identifiable information is collected."

Piriform said it will be updating the tool soon to highlight exactly what is gobbled up when Active Monitoring is switched on and off – and has pulled version 5.45 for now.

So, spying on us and reporting back is nothing to worry about (yeah, right). Then why pull the version that's causing the fuss in the first place?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Fixes: 208

Re: CCleaner users..Beware.ii

Moderator's note:

Topics merged

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still