Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

CCTV

I'm looking for a wireless CCTV camera.
It's got to have a long power cable and be able to accessed from a mobile phone (galaxy s4 to be precise)
I've looked at eBay and found this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151165409075&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123
I'm not bothered if its from China or wherever, least I have a camera.
5m power adapter ideal hopefully!
NorthEasterner
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: CCTV

I had one of their other cameras for a while and they are pretty decent quality actually. I was very impressed.
Don't have it now but I wouldn't hesitate again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Was the cable long?
This camera is going outside.
I just want one, in case of a burglary
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you can wait until 17th June try this http://www.ifsec.co.uk/ There must be 100,000 different CCTV cameras on display.
You need to consider:

• Night vision/Infrared needed? Effective range of night vision

• Internal/External, usage?

• Vandal proof?

• Image Resolution required?

• Power arrangements?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

How do these look?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wanscam-Wireless-WiFi-Outdoor-CCTV-IP-Security-Camera-IR-P2P-Day-Night-Web...
and i'll get a power lead extender for just in cases
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-Socket-to-DC-Power-Extension-Lead-5m-/380303096289
Community Veteran

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Was the cable long?

No not really. It was 1.5M. That was for an outdoor camera like this:

1.5M for one of those just wasn't long enough really however the picture qualited was pretty good within local range. Granted distances are always going to be a challenge for such small sensors but I couldn't complain too much really.
Edit: Wanscam have some live demos on this page:
http://www.wanscam.com/demo-center/live-demo.html?view=category
rja66
Rising Star

@NorthEasterner
I too am interested in wi-fi IP cameras, I would be very interested in your findings if you purchase one and would appreciate any updates.
Community Veteran

Just speaking as someone with a lot of CCTV experience, if you can then put motion activated security lighting in the areas you have the cameras. Low light cameras (unless you spend a fortune) give at best a fairly low quality picture of any offenders. Using a security light will enable most cameras to provide a half decent picture in the event that they are needed.
rja66
Rising Star

@NorthEasterner
Did you get you CCTV camera in the end?
Community Veteran

Quote from: DomS
Just speaking as someone with a lot of CCTV experience, if you can then put motion activated security lighting in the areas you have the cameras. Low light cameras (unless you spend a fortune) give at best a fairly low quality picture of any offenders. Using a security light will enable most cameras to provide a half decent picture in the event that they are needed.

Laser illuminators are the best. They cut through mist and fog too aswell as having incredible range. They also light up the area as if it were day time.
Community Veteran

Lasers are very directional. Do you mean LED illuminators?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Lasers are directional yes but a Pan / Tilt camera that follows its target with them attached will light up the suspect brilliantly.
IR LED illuminators.. they just look evil as they glow red lol. Our local harvesters has two in the car park and they look like a evil cylons half twin lol.
CX
Grafter

I've found PIR-triggered floodlights help out with motion detection when using cheap lowest-end cameras - everything suddenly switching from a black frame to being fully illuminated starts the recording (ZoneMinder, Linux based). The main downside of this is shadows, and also the sudden change in ambient light will not play nice with the automatic gain in the camera or capture device.
The IR illuminators built into cameras themselves seem to be useless at illuminating anything further away than an insect flying 10cm in front of it. Furthermore a lot of cameras have a design flaw where the IR LEDs being behind the same piece of glass as the main lens. I will say though, that the slightly glowing IR LEDs on our camera did prompt a pair of dimwitted intruders to look right into it, before putting their hoody over their heads and legging it. I like the idea of IR lighting away from the camera, but have never got around to it.
IR on the camera can attract insects. Speaking of which, Spider-Ex is an excellent product for keeping spiders away (without killing them). Lasts around 9 months before you need to re-apply it, and it really does keep them away (I was skeptical, and only gave it a go because we use it on the cameras at work to good effect).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

No I didn't get any cameras as my council has put up a CCTV near our house (they got permission of all of us first) we can access the camera using an online portal through their website. We have recording space of 50gb which is upgradable. 
It is also in a tree so very discreet located in several parts of the estate as part of reducing crime numbers etc...