Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV power supply

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

CCTV power supply

Hi
I'm in a pickle and I'mnot even sure if I didn't ask this before.. anyway here goes..
I need to install a CCTV camera in a remote location. No power but it's within wifi range. Snag is it needs to be able to record (either on board or via a computer) and run 24/7 off a big battery which can be changed every few days.
The location is a shed overwatching a parking space where things continue to happen. The police are being useless and this is now at the point where I'm forced to take action. The shed is in a remote location and has no access to any power. If it did, this would be a doddle however like most things in my life, I have to deal with difficult circumstances.
So.. any ideas? It needs to be able to record - either internally or on an external device such as PC or cctv recorder and / or transmit via wifi along with being able to run from a battery (which is the real limiting thing here).
Help!
Sprite
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: CCTV power supply

Yes, I think you did post this before..... try using the search facility, and see what you come up with....  Wink
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Deterrents.
Have you thought of using a dummy CCTV Camera, with warning signs, as an interim measure  ?
Coupled with a Solar Powered PIR floodlight or two. (as advertised for sheds)
With threshold set low, so they come on in daylight too...

Could you run CCTV cables hung from trees to cameras.
The cable contains, power, video & audio, and is quite thin.
All fed back to Digital CCTV Recorders.

Is there line of sight, a more expensive motorised CCTV Camera with a long range lens ?

I suppose, if there is such an option, to use a solar powered IP camera linked into your wi-fi, but I am not knowledgeable on that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Yes, I think you did post this before..... try using the search facility, and see what you come up with....  Wink

Just done that and yes I found it, it was about a battery powered PC.. I remember now.. I was asking thinking I could hook up a webcam but I think that would be too much hassle.
I've found a wireless PTZ camera that draws 1A... but the pesky signal might be a bit problematic  Roll eyes
Strangely, I've come across a website that sells metal mickey cameras. I noticed that they're priced up at €0.00. Added a couple to my basket and they're still priced at 0.00  Shocked
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Strangely, I've come across a website that sells metal mickey cameras. I noticed that they're priced up at €0.00. Added a couple to my basket and they're still priced at 0.00  Shocked

Look!:

Now I've looked at several of their other cameras and they're all priced the same - all saying "In stock" too  Shocked
You reckon I could actually order these? lol  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have a neighbour who is into this sort of thing for CCTV in his garden, and video links from his bird nesting boxes.
He reckons that wireless IP cameras are too power hungry for battery use.
IIRC he uses battery powered, PIR activated cameras that record the 'action' to an SD card.  When not recording, the stored video files then gets transmitted at lower than live datarates over an extremely directional low powered microwave link back to the house.  The received files are stored on a PC, which can then be viewed offline but at full video frame rates.
It all sounds feasible, and he is a very technically able gadget freak, but also an extremely tedious bore - so no I am not going to knock on his door and ask for more details.
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
IIRC he uses battery powered, PIR activated cameras that record the 'action' to an SD card.  When not recording, the stored video files then gets transmitted at lower than live datarates over an extremely directional low powered microwave link back to the house.  The received files are stored on a PC, which can then be viewed offline but at full video frame rates.

I found a few similar but they're designed for wildlife stuff really.  The cameras are easily nickable and while they can record the thief that ain't much good if the thief is making off with the camera and card inside it  Sad
This is it - designed for fixing to a tree / fence / something anyone can reach pretty easily:

Also everytime you check the card you need to re-test the camera etc - sounds like a pain for something someone can open up and nick the card out of (or smash to bits with a hammer).
I've not found a motion activated (PIR) that is wireless though.. that sounds interesting and useful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@sprite:-
have you tried http://www.spycameracctv.com/
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Have you seen: Solcam Solar Powered Wireless IP Camera ?
It may do the job for you!
Community Veteran

Power over ether net camera?  such as this one?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midnight
Have you seen: Solcam Solar Powered Wireless IP Camera ?
It may do the job for you!

MC, thats absolutely perfect for what I need.. well done! The only snag is I can't afford it  Cry  Angry If I could, I'd have it in a snatch and it would be running within days.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Power over ether net camera?  such as this one?

Thats an indoor camera and while the power thing you mention (which I couldn't see other than network connectivity for a better picture) may be good, I can't run a cable to that location  Sad
Quote from: journeys
@sprite:-
have you tried http://www.spycameracctv.com/

No but I am looking now.
Community Veteran

If you're filming in a public area check out if it is legal to do so.  You could be breaking the law and get yourself into trouble.
Community Veteran

What's the distance?
I've ran a USB camera over some fairly long distances (5+ metres).
Geoff,
York.
David_W
Rising Star

I would be careful about placing a CCTV in an area not overlooking property you own, CCTV used to overlook your property where as an incidence it also overlooks public property (i.e. a road) is fine, but other than that it may fall under the Data Protection Act so before putting up a camera I'd fire off an email to the Data Commissioner asking if you would need to register under the DPA to place the camera where you plan to place it.  I think you also have to ensure it doesn't record sound, you're not allowed to use a CCTV to record a conversation so if the problem you're having is with noise or anything of that nature then CCTV isn't the appropriate solution.  You also have to remember that if you're recording the sort of people you never want to meet, they have a legal right to access any film made of them on CCTV.  So in the first instance I really would ask for advice from the Data people, if they say the location falls out of bounds of normal home use then you may need to register under the DPA and put up CCTV warning signs.
Community Veteran

Which is the point I made in post #11.  The Police are fully aware of the rights and wrongs about using CCTV.  A call to the local crime reduction officer would be useful.