cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CB radio and mobile phones whilst driving

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

CB radio and mobile phones whilst driving

Way back in the late 80`s (1980`s not 1880`s !)..  Cheesy . I used to have a cb radio in my car. came in quite useful when in strange towns, and needed directions ,  didn`t use it much while actually driving, but just wondered, with the current legislation on using a mobile phone whilst driving,
what is the situation regarding using CB radio equipment?
as a point of interest, it seems that it is legal for a police driver to use his "communication equipment" whilst driving, and it isn`t all handsfree stuff either. some of them still have to press the button to talk into their "mobile" that is clipped on the left shoulder !.
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: CB radio and mobile phones whilst driving

the law only relates to mobile phone and is quiet specific as to what frequencies, all other modes of communication can be hand help, CB, Amature, gas, electric,road recovery, police, you name it can go up the road with a microphone in the hand and speak to their harts content  SI 2003 No 2695 refers  http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032695.htm
Community Veteran

Still not 100% sure if it is legal...... it seems to be....  Undecided
but why couldn`t they say, it is OK to use a CB (two way radio) instead of the reverse..... saying it is illegal to use a device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.
they could have left out the "other than a two-way radio", in that line, and made it another paragraph to be absolutely clear that holding a conversation on a two way radio is not the same as holding a conversation on a mobile phone !
I reckon if I were spotted by the plod, talking into a cb mike, they would pull me, and swear blind it is illegal, and arrest me on the spot !.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Hmm last time I operated /M (Ham extension for Mobile) (in the early 1990's) even then you really had to use a hands free system of some kind to stop being stopped by the police, even though they could happy use a mike while driving. (One law for us another for them still exists)
Not sure what they were going to charge you with, but even getting pulled and having to explain that it really wasn't a CB and you did have a license to operate it made the whole thing easier just to get a hands free setup.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Still not 100% sure if it is legal...... it seems to be....  Undecided
but why couldn`t they say, it is OK to use a CB

Quote from: biker955
(One law for us another for them still exists)

@Shutter I think the above says it all doesn't it?
Unless you're a big important person you're a little person. If you're a little person you do not have the same rights, skills or abilities as the big people and therefore you must be targeted. If they could have it their way most people in power would have us lower people exterminated. The only reason thats not happened is because they'd have to get off their lazy arses and work to survive. All the time we exist they can have an easy life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do what I do carry a copy of that SI it is only one a5 sheet of paper
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Way back in the late 80`s (1980`s not 1880`s !)..   Cheesy . I used to have a cb radio in my car. came in quite useful when in strange towns, and needed directions ,  didn`t use it much while actually driving, but just wondered, with the current legislation on using a mobile phone whilst driving,
what is the situation regarding using CB radio equipment?
as a point of interest, it seems that it is legal for a police driver to use his "communication equipment" whilst driving, and it isn`t all handsfree stuff either. some of them still have to press the button to talk into their "mobile" that is clipped on the left shoulder !.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032695.htm
Section 2, para 4.
It also goes on to say that it is legal to use a mobile phone in certain defined circumstances (para 5). However, even though it's not strictly illegal to use a CB radio the law still requires you to dive with due care and attention at all times.  Smiley
Fixes: 47

Way back in the late 80`s (1980`s not 1880`s !)..   Cheesy . I used to have a cb radio in my car. came in quite useful when in strange towns, and needed directions

There used to be a lady in Sheffield who sat at her CB with a map of Sheffield and the surrounding area.
Anyone coming into the area could contact her and she would route them to their destination.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I am sure she had a sister who lived in Exeter, cos she was always on 19.... giving truckers directions..... (not to her place, I hope !) Embarrassed Cheesy Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Must have been a big family, found her sisters all over the place Cool Cool Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

Good ideas often catch on fast Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation