cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CB Radio.... is it still in use?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

CB Radio.... is it still in use?

Does anyone still use CB radio in their car, or in their home? 
If so, how popular is it in your area?
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: CB Radio.... is it still in use?

possibly is, I have a few not used for years.  But a house up the top of my road has just got a Slim Jim installed
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi.......As far as I know CB is still going on 27 Mhz FM and SSB will follow soon......The conditions are much better so they will be able to chat overseas again for the next few years...
PLT/PLA might be a problem in both directions, interference to the CB operator and interference to the PLT/PLA units.....The PLT/PLT units will reset with a RF signal near them....
Regards
Roger
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My neighbour has a CB installed in his car. He doesn't use it in the UK but says its useful in europe for talking to the lorry drivers from his country to check out the road conditions etc.
Must be said only cars I've seen with CB antennas in recent years are cabs and cop cars.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Only the occasional taxi or HGV 'twig' spotted in the last few years in NE Scotland. No local, or indeed any UK traffic heard, since some tropospheric ducting from East Anglia about 2002/3-ish.
Just recently conditions have been very good for 10m (28/29 MHz) amateur radio and 11m (26/27 MHz) CB from Europe and USA in daylight hours.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dating back a few years, I have a QSL card from Aberdeen , to me running legal in Castle Hedingham, Essex
greyposter
Grafter

When my youngest sister was alive,it was her means of making friends.She was confined to the house and family computers were still on the horizon.
Community Veteran

Used to be very popular, had one myself, but then along came mobiles.
The real nail in the coffin was when it was legalised.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, I had one in my car, when / just about when it was legalised, and found it very useful when in strange towns/cities, wanting local info...
I posted this really, because I just idly put cb radio into ebay search box and it came up with 10,200 items ... not all of them actual cb radio`s 
just curiosity to see if it was still in use...