cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Long Wave

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bye Bye Long Wave

It looks like the BBC is going to remove life support from the Long Wave radio. http://bit.ly/pVsSid
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Bye Bye Long Wave

Yes, it is a bit sad to see that news..... however, the listenership must be very small, considering the alternative "long distance" methods of assimilating information by broadcast method.
I suspect quite a large number of the "small number of listeners", is living in the valleys of Wales, and Scotland, where LW would probably "reach the parts that others don`t"...
. As for "The Shipping Forecast"... this is a quaint old way to promulgate information to ships at sea in this age of technology.... the broadcast only lasts for 10 minutes maximum.... and I would suspect that 99.5% of ships that used to need that service, have got modern satellite communications, which can get up to date info from the internet. Small "inshore" type fishing vessels will have access to the weather forecast 24/7  (on VHF or even Television) and the larger ocean going stuff most certainly will have sat comms.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
. As for "The Shipping Forecast"... .

Many small privately owned 'pleasure craft' do not have that equipment, or if they do, you do not have it at home when you are trying to decide 'should I go in the boat tomorrow' the shipping forecast is still very useful.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Guess it's a sign of the times.  If it's not viable to continue the service I see no reason to continue with it.
randpwar
Grafter

Being a cricket fan I get to hear about the Shipping Forecast during Test Match Special (I don’t have to actually listen to it as I listen to TMS digitally) and have often wondered about the real benefit of it in these days; is it actually a useful well used tool? If so, I assume it’s used by small craft but I recall during the days (about 15 – 20 years ago) when I used to spend all my free time on Sark that my friends would ring a Guernsey number, probably the Harbour Master’s Office, and listen to an in depth shipping forecast relevant to that area
I’m sure the most prevalent opinion of this forum's members would be that this is no longer an essential tool but what is the real situation? I would be really interested to know if any PN forum users, or anyone you might know, actually have to listen to it as they can’t get the information from any other method?
Community Veteran

That report suggests they have no choice as they can't get any more suitable valves.
No doubt they've explored this avenue, but many people I know find the old cold-war countries (Russia especially) have all sorts of bits of older technology lying around for sale.
Also I'd have thought that someone, somewhere would have the ability to make more, presumably "at a price".  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Guardian article being referred to: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/09/bbc-radio4-long-wave-goodbye
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
That report suggests they have no choice as they can't get any more suitable valves.

You mentioned Russia, there are places in Russia that will make these to order.
Yes, many Harbour Master Offices will have a recorded message service and it is normally kept up to date.
And there is the t'internet of course.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Sad to hear that, but I can remember the angst when they shifted the carrier from 200Kcs to 196(?). Some of us used the service, well counted  down or up as a cheap, stable time reference. Had to resort to crystals then or even modified BC110s. Happier days!!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Considering the holes it causes in my router's bit allocations I'd be quite happy to see the back of long and medium wave radio. The transmitters are 21 miles by crow, and the line has no overhead sections.
Not young enough to know everything