Did you mean: 

Bye, Bye Diesel

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Bye, Bye Diesel

Diesel is DEAD:

World’s biggest car maker says it is SCRAPPING diesel cars FOREVER

Toyota, the world’s biggest motor manufacturer, said it would never again sell diesel cars in Britain after December.

At the same time, Subaru said it would sell its existing stock of diesels but not make any more - with its last ever new diesel cars expected to hit British showrooms this time next year.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/928482/diesel-car-scrappage-toyota-diesel-engine-UK?utm_so...

49 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Re: Bye, Bye Diesel

That is the best news ever.......  YIPPEEEEEEE   ! ! Grin

If  Skoda do the same...... In a about 50 years time, my SKODA will be worth a small fortune... !  

Pity that I won`t be around to cash in on it ....

Thinks.... do I need to stock up on diesel fuel,... or maybe invest in a cooking oil to fuel conversion plant in the garage? ? ? Huh

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Good news and sorry to put a damper on it, but what about those 100,000 horsepower plus diesel engines that are driving those massive container ships around the world - twenty at least chugging away at the moment with no doubt another hundred on the way. Add to that other ships, subs, trucks and general machinery......

The only real hope (and maybe Toyota et al know this) is that fossil fuels will sooner than later run out, and is this why plastic is also in the firing line?

Environmental concerns my aunt fanny, this is business. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wärtsilä-Sulzer_RTA96-C

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman Totally agree.... here is a map of shipping in the Channel.... and the lower North Sea.

Red = Tankers     Green = cargo ships...  All the other colours are different types of ships... but... all are powered by DIESEL....

marine traffic 01.png

Of course... you have to look at the GLOBAL PICTURE.... to appreciate that not every ship can be shown at this scale....

marine traffic 02.png

Add to those..... all the diesel powered TRAINS...  Lorries, and Vans. around the world, and the O.P. statement looks a bit pathetic. ( Kinda similar to the Daily Mail headlines  Undecided )

Diesel is NOT DEAD... and will be around for much longer than any of us on the forum. ..

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Ah yes, I forgot about those trains, and that's one heck of a lot of ships.... and those are the ones they know about!

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Shouldn't the politician (Gordon Brown?) who urged us all to buy diesel cars be forced to buy them back?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes as shutter says Diesel cars are just a drop in the Ocean Crazy3

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

After the recent cold spell I am in agreement that we need more petrol engines to start increasing the CO2 again.Smiley

On that point I couldn't help musing what if petrol engines never happened. That we just had diesel. Would we have had the CO2 problem? Probably no if scientists are to be believed. Would diesels be really squeaky clean by now? Probably yes as it stands to reason they would.

Having petrol and diesel just muddies the water. One to play against the other for political or financial reasons. I'm sure most consumers realise that but they are still forced to play the game and jump through the hoops.

With the government cancelling rail electrification plans it seems they are all for diesel when it suits them. Some would say hypocritical. The kind ones anyway.

Community Veteran

@billnotben You make an interesting point.... and it is backed up by recent news that the number of DIESEL car sales is down by about 1/3rd on previous year, with a similar rise in PETROL car sales... which.. has resulted in an increase in the pollution levels  due to more petrol cars on the roads than DIESELS..

Community Veteran

@Infinity wrote:

Diesel is DEAD:

World’s biggest car maker says it is SCRAPPING diesel cars FOREVER

Volkswagen?

Toyota, the world’s biggest motor manufacturer,

Erm, no, it's Volkswagen, as of 2017...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38793253

Or is this an "Ignore the facts, just make up any old story!!" diesel-hating article again? Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@billnotben wrote:

ment cancelling rail electrification plans it seems they are all for diesel when it suits them. Some would say hypocritical. The kind ones anyway.

Thats a political football at present too as the government won't allow any new diesel engines on our railways (even if they're cleaner / more efficient).

Network rail and the TOCs have now become so desperate that they're now buying back privately owned heritage diesel locos to fill in the gaps.

Under BR if there was a shortage / excess of them they could be moved around to different parts of the country. With privatisation, they all became privately owned by lots of different companies who either won't lend them out or want stupid money for their loan. The government used to cripple BR nicely but with privatisation they've really crippled the network in some seriously stupid ways.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I was just having a thought about the toyota (2nd biggest car maker) thing, and it got me wondering about all the present diesels from them on the road, like the Hilux, peope buy them in diesel form for the high-torque applications, so, to make up for that, they'd have to plop more powerful petrol engines in there to make up the power deficit, and I doubt they'd be a basic 4-banger, it'd need to be V6 or V8, which already are well known for being eco-friendly econobox engines, not....... Funny

On the plus side, the diesel hate is making 2nd hand diesels cheap, so buy 'em while you still can... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I reckon it will not be long before the whole concept of individual car control will be turned on its head, and future generations will look back in amazement at how we could ever have had a billion private vehicles with internal combustion engines flying around able to do more than a hundred miles an hour. What were they thinking?

Humans behind the wheel eh, how crazy was that. Crazy2

Fixes: 234

Not sure if anyone recalls the hysteria about polluting cargo ships from a while ago, well it over exaggerated*, BBC's More or Less looked at the facts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cstyfd

*(A bit like this thread title)

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@7up wrote:

@billnotben wrote:

ment cancelling rail electrification plans it seems they are all for diesel when it suits them. Some would say hypocritical. The kind ones anyway.

Thats a political football at present too as the government won't allow any new diesel engines on our railways (even if they're cleaner / more efficient).

Network rail and the TOCs have now become so desperate that they're now buying back privately owned heritage diesel locos to fill in the gaps.

Under BR if there was a shortage / excess of them they could be moved around to different parts of the country. With privatisation, they all became privately owned by lots of different companies who either won't lend them out or want stupid money for their loan. The government used to cripple BR nicely but with privatisation they've really crippled the network in some seriously stupid ways.

Now, where did that Hastings line stock and the Tonbridge- Redhill tadpole get to?Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.