cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye BT

DaveLister

Bye Bye BT

Joining Plus Net officially on 31st July, can't wait. I have been told that I will notice no difference from the old BT service, we will see. I put up with BT for years because the service was so reliable and fast, with no throttling. But BT is expensive and their customer service is abysmal. For example, I reported that I had been targeted for spam, having had a good email service for years - was getting over 3000 spam emails per day. I was told that I was not entitled to this email address, and output emails were disabled to protect the server, NICE. After a few days things calmed down, and now I get about 50 spam emails per day, and I can send out emails most of the time, but some still fail. On the day of switch over I've been warned that BT may disconnect me early and without warning. Apparently all you need to do is call Plus Net, cry down the phone, and they will connect you immediately. If true, proper customer service. So standing by to give the finger to BT lol.  

34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Bye Bye BT

Just try not to squirt chilli sauce over the navicomp again, we've had problems with that before... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

DaveLister wrote:

So standing by to give the finger to BT lol.  

of course you do dealise that Plusnet is owned by BT.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Welcome aboard!

You'll love being with BT Plusnet, they're all part of the same loving BT family. Long call centre queue times are a speciality though the last time i checked they were using an english call centre after bring it back from india.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yes they're are owned by BT - I am sure they have infulence on the business, though you'd probably won't notice as everything is separate.

Could be worse when Sky took over Bethere Roll eyes They killed that one off.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

7up wrote:

the last time i checked they were using an english call centre after bring it back from india.

As far as I am aware Plusnet has never used Indian call centres. Madasafish, prior to being taken over by Plusnet, used South African call centre(s). Currently call centres are in Sheffield and Leeds.

BT has been reducing its reliance on overseas calls centres.

Community Veteran

I thought it was because they acquired a company whom had one in South Africa?

Not that I mind, just because it is in the UK doesn't mean it'll be any better. I guess you have to account for their English may not be as good as yours. Obviously you only ring them if there is a reason to do so (usually a problem) and if they are helpful, I don't mind.

I guess it becomes more difficult with accents. I probably have a cockey one (not that I notice but sure I do), and sometimes have trouble with others.

You can have unhelpful people in all walks of life who you meet.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Alex wrote:

I guess it becomes more difficult with accents. I probably have a cockey one (not that I notice but sure I do), and sometimes have trouble with others.

You can have unhelpful people in all walks of life who you meet.

No doubt people will be unhelpful if you're too cockey with them.

Community Veteran

Just made me think of Marry Poppins.

Cor blimey I need to go up the apple and pears, and withdraw a score from the ATM.

Sorry I will stop now Smiley

Steve
Pro

7up wrote:

Welcome aboard!

^^^ This

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, some companies started using South African call centres, but they were staffed by South Africans whose first language was neither English nor Afrikaans.  In order to give them an insight into life in the UK they were given DVDs of Footballers' Wives to watch, and they actually believed that this was a true representation of the customer base they were going to be dealing with.

Their first day at work must have come as a shock.

BT reported several years ago that some 80% of their customer support calls were answered in the UK.  This percentage has probably risen since then.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

DaveLister wrote:

Joining Plus Net officially on 31st July, can't wait. I have been told that I will notice no difference from the old BT service, we will see. I put up with BT for years because the service was so reliable and fast, with no throttling. But BT is expensive and their customer service is abysmal. On the day of switch over I've been warned that BT may disconnect me early and without warning. Apparently all you need to do is call Plus Net, cry down the phone, and they will connect you immediately. If true, proper customer service. So standing by to give the finger to BT lol.  

Get ready for an appalling customer service experience then.

Community Veteran

Alex wrote:

Yes they're are owned by BT - I am sure they have infulence on the business, though you'd probably won't notice as everything is separate.

Could be worse when Sky took over Bethere Roll eyes They killed that one off.

Not as separate as you'd like to think.

When a few of us were selected to be beta testers for this new forum, those of us that accepted were sent legal documents to sign. They came from BT not plusnet.

Ask yourself why BT would be sending legal documents for a company that operates separately. BT are in full control of PN thats why.

Community Veteran

Fair enough @7up, not being a beta tester I did not know that.

Community Veteran

alanf wrote:

7up wrote:

the last time i checked they were using an english call centre after bring it back from india.

As far as I am aware Plusnet has never used Indian call centres. Madasafish, prior to being taken over by Plusnet, used South African call centre(s). Currently call centres are in Sheffield and Leeds.

BT has been reducing its reliance on overseas calls centres.

No idea about the Madasafish takeover or call centre however PN used to run two call centres - one of which was indian and had been shipped out of the UK intentionally iirc. Customers started getting the hump with PN in a major way. At the time they were also heavily throttling / shaping traffic due to their limited pipes and the service was pretty horrendous. Then when you called up you couldn't even speak to someone who could even do anything or speak to you properly. Someone at PN eventually saw the damage that was happening and set about changing it all.

Today people still grumble about plusnet but they're a lot superior to their previous years.