cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying from China vs buying from EU

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Buying from China vs buying from EU

Dealextream (dx.com) have an EU site, the prices are much comparable BUT the postage costs are not.
E.g. they sent me an email this morning advertising some AAA rechargeable batteries (1800mA ones) @$3.52 not bad I thought , so I had a look.
P&p on the EU site was $12! p&p on the main site (China) was FREE.  Crazy
I can wait for a couple of weeks and save $12  Grin
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Buying from China vs buying from EU

It is sad really.
I can buy an item from China for around £2 including delivery. To buy one chip used in that that item in the UK costs me £5
To send that same item from my local Post Office to the next town will cost me £3
So the Chinese can build, sell and post a completed product for less than it would cost me to post it elsewhere in my own country let alone purchase the parts and build one myself.
Community Veteran

I often buy things from China simply because of the postage costs or rather the lack of them.
The rapid rise in postal costs here have certainly stifled any buying  "online revolution".
Community Veteran

Are these goods shipped from China or does the supplier have a UK stock?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

there exchange rate makes all there stuff seem cheap as chips in comparison to stuff elsewhere
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

They are shipped from China, the same supplier has a warehouse in Germany I think it is, but an EU country. So the goods are reshipped from there.
I bought some stainless steel plumbing bits from China, about £1 ea delivered, same bits here over £3 delivered. We can't send a letter here for what I can buy a PRODUCT delivered from there, really really silly. No wonder we have no manufacturing in the UK any more.
Community Veteran

Maybe they should outsource the Royal Mail to China too.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

So long as you stick to the letter of the law Smiley
Fixes: 125

I don't think I'd buy anything expensive from China but for the cheaper stuff the free postage really is a bonus.
The estimated delivery can be quite long but the stuff I have bought has usually come before then.
SWMBO has just got an all-singing, all-dancing sewing machine and wants a load of threads. Delivery between £3.00 and £4.50 from UK so will see what is available from China.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

What happens if you have a problem with an item or want a replacement or refund?
Community Veteran

Some Chinese companies are very good and will work with you to sort things out.
I've had very few issues with any of them but dx.com credited me for a faulty phone battery without a problem and banggood.com told me to have a go at repairing something that was faulty and they would replace it if I messed it up further. I managed to sort it out (bridged solder joint) and they gave me some credit towards my next order anyway Smiley
nanotm
Pro

I often shop at Tmart.com for minor knickknacks and novelty items, and I'll happily order stuff from Chinese vendors via Amazon or eBay but I detest it when they falsely advertise as being a uk located seller and despite charging a fair amount more for postage the advertised 2 days shipping time doesn't materialise....
years back I used to get tailor made silk dresses for the other half from china (via hongkong) and they were always great value for money (who would of thought you could get a real silk ball gown for under £50 made to measure) often cheaper than the uk proffered polyester offerings that looked almost as nasty as they sound  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
What happens if you have a problem with an item or want a replacement

If the worse came to the worse you could usually still buy another item for less than what it would cost for the postage to return an item here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK... so not a big item.... BUT.... I wanted two 3.5 mm stereo splitter adapter
Maplin... ( I can get there and back in the car, about 8 miles each way, in about 45 mins, depending on traffic and parking ) ...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-stereo-two-into-one-adapter-fp34m ----------------------------------- £2.69 EACH...
Ebay.... From China.... no postage... but about 10 days delivery.....
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-stereo-two-into-one-adapter-fp34m ------------------------------------99p however... buy 2, and you get 20p knocked off ! !  total price for 2 now....  £1.78 ... FREE delivery...
They arrived within the 10 days... FROM CHINA...
Razer
Grafter

Every trader I've dealt with from China have been brilliant.