Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a property and what did the sellers take with - and you didn't expect

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Buying a property and what did the sellers take with - and you didn't expect

Taken from a letter in today's Times

Sir, Carol Midgley’s article about vendors removing things from their home at completion ( Feb17) reminded me of a solicitor colleague who told me that his client rang him on the morning of completion to say that the front garden of the house he had just bought was about a foot lower than he remembered it. A call was duly made to the vendors’ solicitor, who contacted his clients to be told: “Oh yes. That topsoil was ours. We bought it a few years ago . . . ”

31 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Buying a property and what did the sellers take with - and you didn't expect

I've moved into a property where every single light bulb had been removed but topsoil seems to be taking things a bit too far.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Buying a property and what did the sellers take with - and you didn't expect

worst I had was the wall lights being removed and the wires taped off

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I tend to get extras left behind!

Such as tables, beds, things in sheds etc...

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Strat wrote:

I've moved into a property where every single light bulb had been removed...

I've had that too, except that one 40W bulb remained, in the garage.

I knew where the vendors had moved to - about 20 minutes drive - and I was sorely tempted to knock on their door and say "Sorry to bother you, but you forgot this one."

Not young enough to know everything
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

When I bought this flat the vendor had thoughtfully left a tampon in the wardrobe.  Since I have nowhere to put it (no suggestions please) I had to dispose of it.  It isn't the kind of thing you can offer your female friends as a gift.

Community Veteran

A way to protect yourself is to have an inventory drawn up. It should include what a seller leaves and what he can take with him.

It may not prevent top soil removal but should protect against most other things, and could be the basis of any legal action in exceptional circumstances.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

My first house took all the light bulbs - it belonged to a copper but no connection, just an observation.

In France where we once lived it was quite common for sellers to take not only the bulbs but also the light fittings as 'fixtures and fittings' did not seem part of their reality. Just bare wires? You'd better believe it. I've even been to houses there where the entire kitchen had been stripped of wall and floor cabinets even though these had been shown at viewing and had been assumed to be part of the sale. 

Trust no-one, make an inventory. 

PS. And that copper? He came round the day after the sale to tell me he'd noticed there was no tax on my car! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

@Jonpe

'When I bought this flat the vendor had thoughtfully left a tampon in the wardrobe'

To delicate to mention exactly what, but my neighbour found exactly the same and trust me, 'yuk' does not cover it.

I moved from one house where my Mrs had cleaned, left flowers and a nice note and into one where they'd left rubbish everywhere - upstairs, downstairs, front, back, buried, dumped and hidden, And all this on the same day.

I'd have been better off moving into 10 Rillington Place!

Nice eh?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman  Did you respond by saying you'd noticed there were no light bulbs?

The new low energy bulbs, and especially LEDs, can be quite pricey, but if you bought the cheapest bulbs of the old type from Woolworths you could get six for just over £1 I seem to remember.  Perhaps nowadays the thing to do might be to take the expensive ones with you and put some cheap ones in their place.

I've only bought property twice and each time I've been asked by the buyer's solicitor what I'd be leaving behind.  I've also been asked by my solicitor what, if anything, the vendor had agreed to leave for me so that this could be included in the contract of sale.

Minivanman
Hero

No, as they were quite cheap at the time (late 60s) but it was just the cheek of the man, and me feeling stupid with my new wife and no friggin lights in the by then dark house. 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman  In my case it was thankfully an unused tampon still in its own individual wrapper.

An army wife who was obviously used to moving fairly frequently, gave this useful tip:  Never clean the property you are moving out of because the new occupiers will invariably claim that it was left in a filthy state, and clean it from top to bottom anyway.

Minivanman
Hero

Ah yes, Army property - but don't they have some sort of 'marching in, marching out' procedure? My daughter was the wife of an RAF serviceman and they had some rather exacting standards. 

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

It wasn't what took in my property but what they left that was the problem.  It was a bit of state as it was only part built liveable but not finished. They had tatty bits of carpets and loads of part used plaster bags/paint cans etc. He said don't worry it will all removed. Yes it was, they had thrown it out of the patio doors and left it all in a heap.

I said then, the next time I buy it will be in the contract they totally get rid of the rubbish or reimburse me for having it taken away.

I was always surprised that married quarters were still standing - everyone used to bang hooks in the wall to hang pictures and then fill the holes with flour and water and quick brush of matching painting when they left.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

About 27 years ago when we last moved but I clearly remember having to sigh a form with a load of tick boxes against statements such as TV ariel, light sockets, and a whole range of other things would be left including plants.

On moving into the current property a card and bottle of wine was left, the card included a note to say hope we enjoy our new home.