Did you mean: 

Buy One, Chuck One.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Buy One, Chuck One.

A Quarter of the food binned each year has not even been opened:
Or not even used if unpackaged.
Buy one get one free offers and decline of home cooking blamed for 'staggering' figure
Mostly Fruit & Veg it appears...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2666432/Quarter-food-binned-year-not-opened-Buy-one-one-free...
5 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Buy One, Chuck One.

they ran this story last year and the year before ......
its not news it just rehashed rubbish that was proven to be only partially correct and investigations into why it is the case have nothing to do with offers for the majority of people but rather are down to stupidity of individuals (chucking it out the day the label says so instead of inspecting it and eating whatever is still good) or the fact that lots of supposedly fresh fruit/veg in packets is in fact tainted and as such by the time you get it home and unpacked you see a spot of mould and chuck the entire bag out ....(personally I would cut the mould out and eat anything that wasn't mouldy but hey ho)
bog off offers are the only way some of us can actually afford to eat half way decent food on a day to day basis so the media campaigns to have such things banned will cause far more harm than good, if they want to be useful then promoting food education would be far better, sponsoring food knowledge courses for those who were unfortunate enough not to get any in school again would also be useful, but the constant stream of "ban xyz practice cos its bad" isn't helpful to anyone least of all the food producers who will just bin the stuff at source if they cant sell it ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

BOGOF offers can save you money but how many will stock up on a 'bargain' only to get bored with it and eventually throw what's left away.
If I succumb to any BOGOFs I then cut out something else otherwise I haven't actually made any savings. I also only get BOGOFs on stuff I need or use regularly.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

indeed I use them to provide fruit and veg from the local store for my brood, but if anything stays a bit to long and starts to show signs of age it goes into some form of baked goods, other times I buy punnets of fresh berries and freeze them for use later in the year (like the offer last month of buy 5 for £3)
but generally stuff doesn't hang about long enough in my house, indeed the recent cost increases would of forced us to forgo such luxuries as fresh fruit or salad if it wasn't for the various cut price deals.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I only buy bogoff's if it is something I use regularly and also. in most cases, is non perishable or has a long shelf life
More often I just stock up on special offers which can save a lot of money (bitesized shredded wheat and Tropicana orange juice being two frequent examples)
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

If you really have use for the buy one get one free offer then great, otherwise in most cases greed takes over and you eventully end up dumping the freebie
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970