cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butterfly's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Butterfly's

Previous years we have had a lot in our garden but this year I have only seen a couple, is it just this area or has anyone else noticed this ?
9 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Butterfly's

Tbh I see a fair few back in Feb / March
yet none for ages
Community Veteran

Unfortunately, they've been in decline for many years. Cooler/wetter summers and the loss of their habitats due to pesticide/herbicide usage are the explanations I've read.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's correct but at least last year we had at least several dozen in the back garden on the Budella and similar plants but this year none so that's a dramatic drop.
The weather has been bad this year but in this part of the country we had no severe floods like they had in the South
Community Veteran

I still remember the butterflies seen in my youth.
I used to see so many butterflies (Red Admirals) around puddles underneath an old apple tree that the ground wasn't visible.
I don't see any mass gatherings like this any more. Red Admirals have gone from countless common to count on the fingers of one hand.
randpwar
Grafter

There whoops  Their numbers do fluctuate depending on the type of weather but yes the trend is down.
Red Admirals in particular may be affected by a lack of nettles as they lay their eggs only on them
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

living in the south where the flooding did happen we've had less than normal, lots of small white ones but not so many of the nice looking ones and the caterpillars have totally decimated all the leaf crops in the veg patch
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
and the caterpillars have totally decimated all the leaf crops in the veg patch

That's a really good sign as, obviously, it means lots of butterflies later on. Thought they might have all been out by now; did you mean earlier, maybe early spring? In which case I suppose it's a little strange you've not seen too many.
Two caterpillars sitting on a branch when a butterfly flies past. One caterpillar says to the other 'I don't care what they say, you're not getting me up in one of those things'  Smiley
Community Veteran

the caterpillars have totally decimated all the leaf crops in the veg patch

That's ok...  most of it is still there then!
Decimate - "kill or destroy one in every ten (originally of a group of people, a mutinous Roman legion as a punishment for the whole group)"
nanotm
Pro

indeed it is, but it looks kinda naff since so much is full of holes or now dying off and its still not ripe .....
@randpwar
the caterpillars only appeared about two weeks ago  so yeah they should be popping out in another few if the birds don't get them
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you