cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

But is it art?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But is it art?

Anybody happen to see this article by Quetin Letts in yesterdays Daily Mail? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2125359/Moral-vacuity-rancid-opportunism-Sorry-Damien-youre-...
Do you agree with him, I do practically every word.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: But is it art?

is anything in the Tate Modern Art?
I have yet to see anything on the TV visits that I would call art
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"Art is like politics.....it is what you can get away with"

Community Veteran

They say art is in the eye of the beholder - I won't argue with that Wink
Community Veteran

Thought that was "beauty" but the principle remains though. Art, "real" art that is, is not always beautiful, take "The Scream" for instance, always assuming you thought that was art in the first place...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

In the eyes of this beholder, beauty is not a prerequisite for art. Just some element of creativity is.
Referring to the OP's question - no!
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Thought that was "beauty" but the principle remains though.

You are of course correct.
One of my paintings at home is Miro's Upside down man.  I think is is beautiful and certainly art.  Some friends can't appreciate what I see in it, others love it.
Heloman
Grafter

I totally agree with Petlew.
This sums it up for me:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9189763&cc=9178888
Cool
David_W
Rising Star

I think the reviewer has a personal grudge against Hirst.  Starting off buy a personal attack on the artist and continuing to berate the artist throughout the article (as well as other people), I think the biggest elitist snob in the entire article was the person who wrote it themselves, probably fawn over Leonardo or Donatello or Picasso but anything which doesn't fit into their perspective of art is a fraud and the artist is a fraud.
That isn't to say I would pay to see Hirst's work, I think it's a bit rubbish (literally in some cases!) but it's not really up to me to define what art means, people buy his work so they must consider it a worthy form of art for them to part with megabucks for.
An easy example which is easy for anyone of you to do.  Grab a piece of blank A4 paper and look at it for 10 seconds, notice how your eyes wander across the paper and don't really settle anywhere?  Now put a black dot on the paper (or not, waste of paper) and look at it again, your eyes will no longer travel around the paper but will focus on that little black dot, you're looking at it, examining it, is that not therefore art? Okay, it's not really art, it's just the way the brain/eyes work, but maybe it is art in that it evokes a response from your brain and your eyes?
I don't think we should be able to define art, or if we could it would be "something created by an artist" and if Hirst considers himself an artist then by definition what he creates is art, even if it's a bit pants.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
"Art is like politics.....it is what you can get away with"

D'you know, it seemed such the kind of quote that some philosophical genius might have expounded, that I thought I would look it up. But failed to find it credited to anybody...where did you find it shutter?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Er......
I made it up, on the spur of the moment....... Cheesy

Perhaps It`ll go down in history  Roll eyes
pin2011
Grafter

Art? Then there were that pile of bricks  ? What was that suppposed to represent?
Community Veteran

Er! a pile of artistically arranged bricks....I suppose.
You may find piles of similarly arranged bricks on any demolition site, but mostly accidentally artistic, without the revered hand of DH to arrange them.

Community Veteran

Remember the fable of the Emperor's New  Cloths? Some people will "believe" what they think is fashionable rather than what their commonsense ought to tell them!
Bah Humbug!!
Roll eyes