Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

But Why?

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

But Why?

To get away from the desk earlier I went outside to have my coffee and lying on the grass was a dead Red Admiral butterfly. On seeing it I immediately thought "Why?" What, if any, was the purpose of that butterfly's life? This of course led me to the same question as regards my own and to humanity as a whole.

I know in my life time I'll never find the true meaning of life (not that I'm looking for it), but will we ever? Is there even one?

Being an atheist, I subscribe to Darwinism so, is life from all that has passed and all that is to come nothing more than circumstance?

40 REPLIES 40
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: But Why?

@Mook wrote:I subscribe to Darwinism so, is life from all that has passed and all that is to come nothing more than circumstance?

Mmm, just don't go looking at astronomy on Youtube 😀. We are all supposedly destine to go dark!

One thing no one has explained (convincingly to me at any rate) is where not only space itself came from but the matter that supposedly created the Big bang in the first place. Me, I just live life as it is.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@Mook WOW!! Thanks for asking a simple question....might have to give this a bit of thought.Huh🤔🤔

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Life is the result of the need to procreate and multiply, from the first single-celled organisms, to the walking talking bags of flesh called humans...

The only difference between single cells and "higher life forms" is consciousness, being aware of the life we have and living it as we see fit...

Of course, that brings up the question of "What is consciousness?", which even the smart people can't answer...

Mook
Champion

I am pleased to see you think the same way I do @idonno. The 'Big Bang' is as we are told in school the start of everything. But as you say where did all of the 'stuff' come from. Some say that the source was a massive Black Hole, yes we know that Black Holes can vacuum up everything around them and not let it, including light, back out again.

So does this mean that there is a theoretical maximum to the compression level of a Black Hole and once this is reached it collapses out on itself?

Mook
Champion

Fair point @twocvbloke but what drove the need to procreate? It can't be innate so there must have been some form of external influence, but where, what and why?

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Far beyond my level of understanding to work out the beginnings of the need to procreate, for that you really need to ask scientists who have studied it, all I know is it started off as simple chemical reactions that started merging together to form amino acids, which then became proteins and they started to make other stuff that became simple cells, etc....

Strat
Fixes: 505

I propose that the universe we see around us is a simulation running on a student's computer.

The meaning of it is irrelevant as we could be switched off at any moment when the student presents his findings to his tutor and receives his evaluation.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 52

Forty-two.
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

You can cogitate it as much or as little as you want.... but the real question you should be asking  is ...

Does it really matter whether there was a "Big bang"   or where space starts and finishes .. or the size and capacity of "black holes" ... or indeed if UFO`s exist... ?

p.s..... yes.. UFO`s do exist....  the clue is in the name.....  Doh !  Roll_eyes

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Mook 

I guess most people ask that question ......The answer is simple.....

There is no purpose, other that to procreate so life continues.

Whats the difference between a human and a dog or almost any other animal, they eat, walk, sleep etc...

The difference is  a human (well most) have a greater brain capacity and therefore memory, it’s our memory which allows us to create things, giving us the environment and life style we have, problem is we create things that or good or bad or maybe of no use at all.

If we can’t understand something we often make it up, looking back in history we laugh as some of the stuff people believed, perhaps we are no better and in centuries to come others will laugh at what we were ready to believe.

Half the books in a library are fiction, proof some of us like a fantasy world.....Bit like Father Christmas which young children are quick to believe.

How well we adapt to the environment we are born into will depend on a number of factors but that’s getting into another topic.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mook
Champion

@shutter - Of course it matters. If it doesn't then what is the point to life!

Mook
Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

There is no purpose, other that to procreate so life continues.

But why? What is it all leading to or from?

Is everyone here a nihilist? 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Mook   There is no point in life... or to life... it exists.. we exist.. and then we don`t...  or to complete your sentence..if I am correct... what`s the point of/to life ?  there is no point to it....

If there was... then we would all live forever... then, perhaps you could say that there is some point to life....    huh ? ? ? ? Undecided

A bit like discovering a "black hole" in the universe..... so.. scientists spend billions of dollars, "looking into it"  ...  what do they see ?   Nothing... it`s a black hole for god`s sake... so... lets spend some more billions of dollars... just in case we can`t see far enough into this black hole... ah.. now. we have got this far into the black hole..... let`s see how far we can go... oooops... haven`t got time... i`ve been dead a a few years.... but hey.. some idiots will spend all day watching others "work" , especially road workers.... they, too... spend their time, looking into holes....Crazy

totally pointless..  !

Mook
Champion

@shutter Shocked

Hmm, I wonder if ScrewFix will deliver me a length of rope...