cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business ideas..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Business ideas..

Following on from my recent thread about career advice I've now decided that with further education being out of my reach I should try to make some money instead. The problem? - How?!
When I was younger I had loads of ideas but had no money. Now I've got a small bit of money (£1.5K) I've not got any ideas (and can't remember my old ones).
So.. does anyone have any decent biz ideas out there? - Initially I was interested in something IT related but webhosting is over saturated and I'm not great with web-design anyway (terrible graphics skills but back end scripting I'm decent-ish with). The only problem is in my spare time I sit here in front of the PC wasting my life away so I'm not sure anything IT related is now a good idea.
I'm interested in anything else though.. must be fairly cheap to setup, start from home, have potential to live off it within a reasonable time scale and be able to scale upwards - IE grow. Oh.. and I'm not looking to buy and sell physical stock either unless its fast moving...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Business ideas..

Have you thought of selling on ebay?  You could sell IT related products where you could put your expertise to good use.
magnetism2772
Grafter

I would create an ebay buyers and sellers account
and start buying a few items of there cheaply
then begin selling them later on after adding a small amount for the work and money
you've put in
it could be things you've bought second hand from an auction, like a car tool auction
used Panasonic digital camera's sell really well
could not buy one myself as I kept being outbid right to the last minute even after placing a bid of £70 for a
camera i could buy new for £99.00
I buy  loads from off ebay my self
stuff like new jeans, shoes, watch, service kit for my car including engine oil
If i can save £5 on any item after P&Packaging , then I will buy it from ebay instead of a high street store
I would start to think  about what you  like to sell , and once you've decided that part , plan to
go to your nearest boot fair , auction or even buy some s/h items on ebay itself and them resell them
back adding your costs , if certainly worth a go , invest a couple of hundred pounds first in buying
cheap stock then sell them off individually
TicnTac
Grafter

See my reply to your career post. Save your money! Unless you can do a resell that costs nothing! That money will soon vanish.
Never dismiss further education, at the OU you could get discounts or grants, there are lots of Colleges and Uni's offering correspondence courses, and if selling or marketing is something you fancy doing, learn about it first or do a course on it first so you can be the best at what you do. You could spend your money on qualifications Smiley Invest in yourself and future careers! Smiley That way if you do wish to go down this route, you can at least reduce the risk of throwing it away on an idea that may fail!
On the other hand, since you have a small amount of investment, have you thought about a franchise? They would set you up with everything, and you’d have most of the pitfalls taken away, and you would be up and running quicker, however time would be something you would have to consider, same with any of the above ideas, good ideas require a huge amount of time, energy and concentration to work, it is something you can’t do on the fly or half heartedly!
Build up slowly, and as one well known entrepreneur quotes “ what goes up slowly, comes down slowly” and he owns one of the most successful Hi-Fi chains in the UK and Ireland!
Best of luck!
Community Veteran

get a license to build these here:
http://www.shelliwheelchairs.com.au/contact.htm
and i'll buy one from you in cherry red.
if you're serious, research a business plan to tool up a small workshop to produce several a week and present it via email to as many investors as you can find.  someone, somewhere, may see the vision.  this could be huge.  currently it's going nowhere because it don't have a dragon on its tail.
why should the handicapped have all the fun?  who would win the marathon in the annual all-comers pedal-chair race?  for once the non-handicapped and handicapped could compete on equal footing.
you might also devise a trolley for the pedal-chair to drag that can carry a passenger - nice to have company doing the shopping delivery.
while you're at it, research how to incorporate electrical assist for them stubborn hills.
i'd like to see it open-sourced, then it's uptake will grow organically.
N/A

What an excellent idea although I can understand your confusion as to the best way to go.
Might not be a bad idea to sit down and think hard about your strengths and weaknesses.  I hate to refer to jargon but when I was working we used to use the SWOT ANALYSIS.  The only reason I mention it is that to achieve the best success you need to know exactly what you would be good at, taking into account your health problems.  Just a simple list would probably do as well.
The other thing is not to be too hasty.  If you come up with something it might be useful to do it on a voluntary basis (if possible) just to test the water so to speak.  With regards to IT there is a lot of demand but would it suit you to do this sort of work for many hours?
I am not sure if this is at all useful but I recently decided that I would like to learn about web design and construction and also to do a bit with images for my forum.  I quite fancied having one to one tuition but could not find anyone to help.  College courses are expensive and held at night so I considered them unsuitable.  Also they are usually full of youngsters.  I have had to shelve the idea for now due to a change in circumstances.  However, would this be something you could do?  I am thinking of advertising IT tuition just to see where it goes.  The only outlay would be the cost of the advertisement.
The only other thing that I can think of at the moment (if you are a practical/useful sort of person) is home repairs.  There is a chap close to where I live who has bought himself a blue van, had it sign-written and is out every day doing small jobs for people.  This area is 'bungalow city' so to speak and is therefore predominantly elderly people, many living alone and unsupported.  People like Sam are invaluable to them.  I know from my friends, many of whom have real difficulty when problems arise in the home, that they need to know that the person can be trusted.
Good luck.
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
I am not sure if this is at all useful but I recently decided that I would like to learn about web design and construction and also to do a bit with images for my forum.  I quite fancied having one to one tuition but could not find anyone to help.  College courses are expensive and held at night so I considered them unsuitable.

See thats the problem... around here the local college does not do any IT related courses for part time / night school. I really can't believe it if I'm honest. The SWMBO thought I was making excuses until checking out the prospectus.
I'm stuck in a rut!
Thing is.. I don't actually know what I'm good at anyway. I try something.. it falls apart and breaks.. (I'm suffering from a hell of a lot of bad luck at the moment). I can program in html, php, javascript (admittedly basic at the latter), delphi... but I don't know css or DHTML etc. I'm also completely useless graphics wise. See my problem is I'm not artistically gifted.. I'm useless but I'm pretty technically minded but wasted.
I'm totally fed up!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

N/A

Thing is.. I don't actually know what I'm good at anyway.

Well, you are not on your own there.  I have done lots of things in my life but I can't say that I did anything all that well.
I reckon that there is definitely something that you can do passably well even though that something might not be top notch. 
IMO you need to think more carefully about it and also about why things have gone awry in the past.  Was it lack of enthusiasm for the chosen activity or was it down to lack of motivation due to depression?
If it is the latter then you're unlikely to do achieve anything without help and support so would that be somewhere to start?
One other thing comes to mind. A few years ago I did a basic counseling skills course at my local college.  It was just for three months but I found it enormously useful, particularly as we had to write down our thoughts and feelings week by week.  The outcome was quite surprising to me and helped me to understand things about my own attitude, thoughts and behaviour.
Not sure if this is available at your FE Centre or if it is of interest, but all I can say is that although I did not have the ability or desire to continue on to gain a diploma, I did find the course of (lasting) value.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

In times of strife or uncertainty, it is easy to beat yourself up – to think you’re not good enough. It is even easier to forget that despite all of our differences we are born with one very important thing is common: potential – and lots of it. What seems difficult, at times, is remembering this potential for greatness lies within us all. So I have compiled a short, easy to-do list with words of inspiration from great thinkers who have recognized their potential as a reminder and an inspiration, for those who have forgotten amidst the daily bump and grind, how to realize their power within:
#1. Reflect on your life.
The first step is committing to 20-30 minutes of quiet Reflection everyday. You don’t have to sit still, close your eyes, and meditate. But you do have to get away from all the distractions in your life such as the television, cell phones, email, radio, family, friends, co workers, school mates, etc. They’re constantly clouding your thoughts and influencing your decisions.
So take a walk, ride a bike, turn the radio off while commuting to work, sit on your back porch, lie in the grass, go to bed a little early. Whatever works for you.
Now, open up your mind and just Think, Analyze, Consider, Ponder, Contemplate, Imagine, Visualize, and Dream. Think about your past, your present, and your future. Ask yourself questions like…What am I capable of? What are my strengths? Where do I want to be in 5 years, 10 years, 100 years? And so on…
During this time of Reflection you will come across great Realizations and Epiphanies. You will experience a new level of Understanding, Insight, Consciousness, and Awareness. The goal of this entire process is to capture these thoughts and preserve them on your Lets Reflect profile. Compile your list and read it over and over again. It will always be there to keep you on track and heading in the right direction.
So get lost in thought…It will change your life!
“It’s time to start living the life you’ve imagined” ~Henry James~
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions.” ~Albert Einstein~
“At the centre of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.” ~Lao Tzu~
#2. Become an Optimist.
This is key. Every negative thought that you replay your mind is like an anchor holding you back. Liberate yourself from the negativity. Inside every setback lies an opportunity! Always find the positive in every situation.
“You can’t direct the wind, but you can adjust your sail” ~unknown~
“What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise.” ~Oscar Wilde~
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” ~Thomas Edison~
#3. Set a Goal.
Goals give your life direction and purpose. Without them you’re just drifting through existence. Do something Bold! Set a lofty goal that stretches you outside your comfort zone.
“A goal is a dream with a deadline” ~Napoleon Hill~
“The more you dream, the farther you get.” ~Michael Phelps~
“If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.” ~Andrew Carnegie~
“Long-range goals keep you from being frustrated by short-term failures.” ~James Cash Penney~
#4. Define who your role models are.
They can be in the flesh, on TV, or even audio books. Model yourself after them. Learn from them. If you don’t, you’ll pick up bad habits from all the wrong people.
“People never improve unless they look to some standard or example higher and better than themselves.” ~Tyrone Edwards~
“The single most important influence in the life of a person is another person … who is worthy of emulation.” ~Paul Shafer~
#5. Be Grateful!
Be grateful for your opportunities. Be grateful for right now! Being grateful invites even better things to come into your life. So what are you grateful for?
“What if you gave someone a gift, and they neglected to thank you for it – would you be likely to give them another? Life is the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you must truly appreciate what you already have.” ~Ralph Marston~
#6. Become a life long learner.
You don’t have to be in school to learn new things. Commit to learning something new everyday. Have an open mind. Become a sponge. Grow!
“All the information you need to succeed already exist; the only problem is you’re not exposing yourself to it.” ~Jim Rohn~
“There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.” ~unknown~
#7. Embrace change!
It’s impossible to reach your full potential if you’re not willing to change. Become dynamic, adaptive, evolving! Realize that change is good…change is exciting!
“One does not discover new lands without losing sight of the shore.” ~unknown~
“An important guideline for effective individual growth is open-mindedness. A willingness and eagerness to consider new information, new viewpoints, new ideas, and new possibilities is essential.” ~F. David~
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain~
Now, despite what others have said…you are capable of great things! I believe in you. So Get Focused! Get Motivated! …and take advantage of Right Now!
Remember that this is a journey…not a quick fix. The trick is staying positive and surrounding yourself with positive people. Best of luck!
thisoldman
Grafter

hello okyz
I am sure that the good people in here are trying to help, but I am afraid that ,apart from poppy who seems to be on the ball, most of the suggestions will fail.
The basic problem is that you are engaging in a game of "transference".  You are transferring your basic problems onto someone /thing
else in the hope of a solution, eg your work, your boss, yopur pay, your upbringing, etc etc.
I regret that , for professional resons, I am very limited , in what I can say to you in here in public, but Im sure you can appreciate
professional ethics.
Until such time as you are, and this is in no way a condemnation, of your good self, able to come to understand what "exactly"[/i  is bugging you, then  i am afraid the transference game will continue.
From what you have said earlier in different posts, I am of the professional opinion that you would be best served by seeking professional therapeutic help.
Until you get to the core of your feelings/anxiety/depression, there is little point in trying to  move the ball into another field.
I hope you do not treat this as critical advice , but rather that you can see what I am hinting at, and take the steps necessary, to realise your full potential, of which i am in no doubt you possess..
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
From what you have said earlier in different posts, I am of the professional opinion that you would be best served by seeking professional therapeutic help.
Until you get to the core of your feelings/anxiety/depression, there is little point in trying to  move the ball into another field.
I hope you do not treat this as critical advice , but rather that you can see what I am hinting at, and take the steps necessary, to realise your full potential, of which i am in no doubt you possess..

While I'm not going to argue any of the above and actually admit I'm intrigued, I can't help but wonder what it is you're trying to get at. From my POV I'm being held back a lot by life. IE No college round here does IT courses, I've got money to start a small business but no ideas currently and I want to get out of my job.
Now.. I can't help but wonder what you're seeing that I'm apparently missing. Do feel free to PM..
thisoldman
Grafter

i am "seeing" someone who is crying out for help.
At least you have admitted as much in your posts.
I will send you a private message tomorrow as I am about to go out and i do need to reflect upon what you have previously said.
I do not wish to make any more posts on this forum as the matter is private and not for public consumption.
cheers.