Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus pass for pensioners

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Bus pass for pensioners

First they came for our free television licence, and now at least here in Wales, it's the bus pass for pensioners they are after.

Instead of being able to apply for one at 60 it's now going to be 65 before we can jump on a bus and call the world our lobster.

Ah well and fair enough I suppose, but still.    

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49098325

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
47 REPLIES 47
salmo
Rising Star

Re: Bus pass for pensioners

I think that it is when you reach state pension age in England which will be just over 65 and rising.

In Wales it stayed at 60 so you are catching us up. 

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

The English scheme qualification os based on the female stae pension age, which once was 60,  but

The State Pension ages have been undergoing radical changes since April 2010. The changes will see the State pension age rise to 65 for women between 2010 and 2018, and then to 66, 67 and 68 for both men
and women. There are plans to change State Pension ages further

Is the Welsh one going to follow the same pattern? In general our county councils stick to the 09:30 time for using the pass with very few allowing an earlier start for council residents, some only allowing the extra concession, if there is no bus for a passenger before, sa, 10:30. Though an English pass. councils adminster it and set reimbursement rates as they wish.

I believe Welsh arrangements are truly national?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Hero

It is certainly state pension age in London, but our current PM when he was Mayor of London decided that Londoners should have free travel from the age of 60 so introduced the 'Boris pass' which gave us free travel at the one-off fee of £10 (recently increased to £20).

Oddly residents of all but one London borough have to apply to Hull for their Older Person's Freedom Pass, the application is then forwarded to ... wait for it ... Arbroath for processing and issuing of the pass.  You are not allowed to apply until 14 days before you become eligible for your state pension regardless of how many bank holidays fall in that period.  My pass was 19 days late despite having provided the correct documentation.  Apparently a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions with the headline "You can get your state pension on" followed by the date is not proof that that was my state pension age.  They then gave me a Freepost address that hadn't been in use for years which caused further delay.

Although they've agreed to reimburse me since the delay was entirely their fault, they require me to submit tickets.  London buses stopped issuing tickets years ago.  You really couldn't make it up.  And no mention of reimbursing me for my time, photocopies, postage etc.

I've discovered there is a pattern in the treatment of older people here.  I have four small pensions to come and they all ask for one document, then claim it's the wrong one and keep asking for more and more until the old person either gives up or dies of exhaustion or natural causes.  It should be law that no pension fund is allowed to accept contributions until they've received incontrovertible proof of the member's date of birth and confirmed that they've kept a secure record of this.

Jonpe
Hero

The 'after 09:30' requirement no longer applies to London Older Person's Freedom Passes, except when travelling on National Rail services.  I remember in the past seeing an old lady being refused boarding at 09:29:07.  I was hoping she'd keep the driver talking until 09:30 but she got off.  There was probably another bus a few minutes later at that time of the morning anyway but I thought it was a bit unkind of the driver, however right he was.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I thought we lived in the United Kingdom ?

If so how can you justify how a whole range of things differ between England, Scotland and Wales, from the age you can get a bus pass to prescriptions and many other things.

All this nonsense should be changed so there is equality across the country....Bus Pass... If you have one you will not be able to use it in Scotland equally they cannot use theirs either when in England.....just daft,

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@salmo 

Ah right, never realised that, I just assumed it was the same across the UK. Sad

@Luzern 

The state pension age rise is the same everywhere I'm fairly sure. The DWP confuses us all and themselves with having regional variations. What a nightmare that would be. As for time restrictions for when bus passes can be used I have yet to stumble across any. 

@Jonpe 

You have my sympathy with all of that mucking about with the DWP, I had five years off it during the period between the age of 60 when my small prnsion was supplimented by pensions credit thus allowing me to in effect retire early, until I reached 65 and qualified for my state pension. During the five yeat period the threat of that pension credit bein removed hung over like the sword of Damocles and as for letters and visits to my home for questions assesments, I could write a book about it. 

What rotten horrible jobs worth people they were. Some do help as best they can I'm sure but others must get so fed up they take it out on the clients - or were they calling us all 'customers' at one time?

As that lady on the bus.... Crazy2

@gleneagles 

That is daft I agree. We cannot use ours in England, and if we wanted to use it for free rail travel after October and to say travel up the mid Wales line we would have to pay for the section that goes througn England as it heads toward Shrewsbury - so that was one rail rail trip we had to knock on the head last year.

I'm hoping (in fact presuming) that when they increase the age for a bus pass here in Wales it is not retrospective as the Mrs who received hers when she was 60 has not yet reached the new 'goal post shifting' retirement age.  

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Free rail travel - have I missed something ?

I do remember the pensioners £1 away day on the rail, shown how cunning pensioners were....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

As long as it's not the bus! Wink

Regional arrangements apply no doubt and you will need to check yours - but this is ours.

Transport for Wales

If you have a Concessionary Travel Pass from a Welsh Local Authority, you can travel for free on many Transport for Wales trains. 

You can travel between:

• Wrexham – Hawarden Bridge
  • Machynlleth – Pwllheli (Cambrian Coast line) – October to March only
  • Llandudno – Blaenau Ffestiniog (Conwy Valley line)
  • Shrewsbury and Llanelli/Swansea (Heart of Wales Line) – October - March only

You will need to get a free ticket from the ticket office before you travel or from a Conductor on the train if there is no ticket office.

You will also get 1/3 off tickets to travel on the Cardiff and Valley network after 09:30 Monday - Friday and any time at weekends and bank holidays.

For more information, please visit the Transport for Wales website.

Champnet
Champion

That looks like devoluted discrimination....

Luzern
Hero

@Minivanman No restrictions !Really? Not so in my neck od the woods.

taken from https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/publictransport/buspasses/olderpersonsbuspass/checkservices

The older person’s bus pass entitles you to free travel on bus services throughout England from 9:30am to 11pm
Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.

On routes which have an infrequent service where there is a journey between 9am and 9.29am and then no further journey until 10.31am or later, 
passes will be accepted for free travel from 9am on those specific routes. see link

Could also be even more confusing, as part of what folk consider the town is in a neighbouring county. Even so, it wasn't as bad pre ENCTS.
Both main services started in Bournemouth unitary, passed through New Forest D.C, who controlled pass then, and on to Dorset or Wiltshire.
I was asked to confirn that I was only travelling back home, and not on to those odd lands.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well as said none that I have stumbled across, and why on earth would I want to be on a bus with all the lumpen proletariat on their way to work first thing in the morning!  Wink

PS. Just checked for my own area here in Carmarthenshire and can see nothing about travel time restrictions, but as said...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 'after 09:30' requirement

I have a Staffordshire County Council  bus pass and was able to use it before 0930 but from 1st July its changed to after 0930

Only a few miles away in the Walsall area they are after 0930 but can use the local trains and trams and buy a £1 ticket for journeys before 09030 not available in my area

I sent an email to ask SCC if I would get the same benefit but have yet not received a reply

Also from April there are no buses on Sunday or Bank Holidays in the Cannock/Lichfield  and surrounding areas because SSC have removed subsidies

No doubt other councils will be doing the same 

Brian A

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Given that a lot of bus pass pensioners are keeping these bus companies afloat albeit as a result of subsidies, my guess is that if they nibble away to much and pensioners are squeezed out then these same companies will go to the wall... and Maggie will be turning in her grave. 

Champnet
Champion

How does the ‘after 9:30’ work ? 

Is it the time the bus arrives at the stop or the time it is scheduled to arrive at the stop.

On the trains it’s the latter... (railway station not bus stop)