cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus Services Deregulation...Good or Bad.

Fixes: 47

Bus Services Deregulation...Good or Bad.

Parliament is currently discussing bus services throughout the country.

I can remember in 1985 when deregulation of bus services took place.

In our area First, Stagecoach and a couple of small operators served our very lucrative community and competition started.

Fares went down week by week until free daily offers were available.

The small operators couldn't sustain the loss and dropped out leaving First and Stagecoach...fares went back up.

Now First and Stagecoach have teamed up for cost saving measures and are sharing routes and timetables.

I'm not sure that deregulation was a good thing or not.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
5 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Re: Bus Services Deregulation...Good or Bad.

And the new regulations the Government wants to introduce will include a ban on council owned bus companies. So even less competition.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Back to public ownership would be the best option for both the rate and the taxpayer. 

Here in Wales private bus companies have been making massive profits and where they cannot, they have just shut up shop, closed the business down and walked away - literally. Great idea on paper to deregulate but greed as always takes over need leaving us all standing at the bus stop. Surprised? We shouldn't be.

Essential services should never ever be in the hands of private companies. Period.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not an easy question to answer.

When I was younger the bus service was good and was under council control but there were far fewer houses than there are now so not as many routes to cover in those days.

To save money many services were passed to private companies, the main aim of any company is to expand and make as much profit as possible so if a route was loss making then it got the chop. Where I live the council subsides loss making routes but have a massive debt in the budget despite closing a number of libraries, along with selling off leisure centres and other things.

If further cuts take place despite the massive increase in council tax I guess social careand similar services will be a higher priority than funding loss making routes but equally the council cannot run the service due to the cost so there is no alternative to private bus companies.

Back to public ownership is a pipe dream, it will never happen, no matter how much people might want it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In the past 6 years of living here, I've seen the Go North East routes change many times, most of the changes being shortening of routes (I.E. not serving streets where they used to meander through and just bypassing them to speed up the times from end-to-end) to splitting long routes up into two new routes, changing routes around so they became a part of a different route, completely changing routes to but keeping the same route numbers, and so-on, it's getting blummin' confusing!!! Crazy2

And to top it off, they're taking the Mercedes Benz Citaros off the routes, I can't make the jokes about being chauffeured about in a Mercedes anymore... Sad

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

"Back to public ownership is a pipe dream, it will never happen, no matter how much people might want it"

So unless the market will provide the public will not or cannot? That makes no sense @gleneagles as essential services cannot be allowed to fall in abeyance just because there is no provider. Let the market provide if it is more efficient and does not allow greed to overcome need and it would have my support but that's not the way of the world without firm government/people control.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.