cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus Passes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bus Passes

In Scotland for the past few days, assumed we could use our bus passes, no chance.
Seems we can't use our passes in Scotland and anyone from Scotland is unable to use their pass here.
How daft. Why do we keep using the initials UK when it's anything but an United Kingdom ?
15 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Bus Passes

Just looking on back of mine and it says English National Concessionary Travel Scheme - never really thought about it before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just shows how unobservant I am never having read the back of mine.
To be honest I am one of those people who assembles something and then reads the instructions later (assuming they are not in Chinese)
Community Veteran

Ain't devolution wonderful.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just had a look at mine, doesnt mention England on it
It looks just like the one on this form  http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Publictransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_10036264
going back to look at the bottom bit about travel in Wales and Scotland
pierre_pierre
Grafter

says it only Valid in England on the Web Page, if you live near that Northern bolder you might get one for both
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Just had a look at mine, doesnt mention England on it

The back of mine says "... valid for local bus journeys in England ......." and also states the times and exceptions for my issuing authority area.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got mine last March and the only location on it is  "the terms and conditions of the Essex Countwide Concesionary Travel Scheme"  I have used it in Durham, will have to ask the issuing office next week
Looks like I wont be able to use it on Holiday in Cardigan later this year though
Community Veteran

It seems all the passes differ somewhat.  This is what I found on our local authority site about use:
f you’re of eligible age, or eligible disabled you can apply for a National Concessionary Travel Pass. The pass will allow you to enjoy free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England from 9:30am (9am within Essex) to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day weekends and bank holidays on local buses anywhere in England. All buses operated by Transport for London accept the National Travel Pass at all times, this does not include tube or train travel.

If you live in a London borough your pass can also be used on the Underground which is a great benefit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mine says "Travel, discount and Library card", issued by Derbyshire CC valid throughout Derbyshire, (although I have used it outside), and has an expiry date of 01 Mar 2013, the Discounts are made known in a booklet and entitle the user to from 10-25% discounts from a number of shops and services, the booklet runs to around 60 pages
Bus pass regulations seem to be changing, almost daily. A while ago both Oxford city and Staffordshire county used to allow Bus passes to be used on any bus, Oxford recently the switched to use between  9am and 11pm. Staffordshire switched to use between 9:30am and 11pm.
Concessionary travel is refunded by central government to each county council, who in turn refund the bus companies. I understand (from local bus driver) that concessionary travel funding from central government is planned to be abolished from April 2011 (not verified, only drivers gossip, but they have a vested interest). That from April each County Council will refund bus companies accordingly.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see bus passes revert to ‘county based’ schemes.
I for one, given a choice, would prefer to pay a fare, rather than not have buses.
Community Veteran

Many county councils complained in recent years that as a result of the popularity of the scheme they were paying out more than they have got from central government.
The 9/9.30am start of the concession was to prevent buses being full during rush hours and workers not being able to get on.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Although we (Artmo) both live in the same county, my council - Braintree doesnt mention England on their web site, and their name is on the Back of the Card
ECC are currently moaning about the Park and Ride in Chelmsford, they tried to stop it this week on Saturday/Sunday as only the people with free passes were using it, not the long all day workers as during the week
Community Veteran

This from the Essex County Council site which confirms much of what has already been posted:
Bus passes
Link fixed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
This from the Essex County Council site which confirms much of what has already been posted:
Bus passes
Link fixed.

It works alright for me. My card has "Terms and conditions apply when using this card" and the name and address of the authority.