cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus Pass

Fixes: 47

Bus Pass

Brilliant.....I've only just got my over 60's bus pass and it looks like it may be taken away on the 20th of October. Roll eyes and I haven't even used it yet.
No I don't have any leaked emails or other inside information but it does seem a likely target.

/Strat gets his coat on and heads down to the bus stop

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
55 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Bus Pass

I've only used mine once, back in Feb 09 and SWMBO has never used hers.
When she was eligible they stopped the bus route that ran past our house  Cry
thisoldman
Grafter

shhhh  strat you are correct but its a secret      get a mobility scooter    dear Smiley
Community Veteran

It wouldn't surprise me to see some cuts being made to London's Freedom Pass too when Boris Johnson announces next year's fares… currently, users get unlimited travel on buses, trams, the tube, London Overground and DLR at any time of the day, plus National Rail travel after 9:30am too. Once upon a time everything was limited to after 9:30am (aside from weekends that is), but Ken Livingstone expanded it to all day every day for TfL services… which I'm guessing might have to be reversed.
Edit: correction, it was actually Boris Johnson who expanded the pass to cover all hours of the day on TfL services… so perhaps some back-tracking isn't so likely then.
rhinocratic
Grafter

If my experience is typical there will be a lot of empty busses (not to mention angry people) if the passes are taken away    Cry

I recently made a return journey on the X1 Norwich to Lowestoft, via (not so) Great Yarmouth bus. Both busses were full - of pass holders!
l sat near the front on the outward leg and the only person to pay for a ticket was a college student who boarded at Gorleston and got off two stops later.  Only 3 people paid on the return journey.
Bus passes do appear to be an easy target but Yarmouth and Lowestoft would be even deader than they already are if pass holders didn't visit them Smiley 
thisoldman
Grafter

and...when you consider that plans are well advanced to intoduce road pricing it makes all this even worse
thisoldman
Grafter

Strat:    there are no buses , no trains , no tube, in ma wee village. you either drive or walk. Quite what i will do as i get older heavens only knows.
thisoldman
Grafter

we used to have a free car service to take one to hospital for o/p  appointments but it was stopped because too many pigeonheads
were abusing it. They would call the car service and once they had got to the hospital in da big city, they disappeared into the town centre to go shopping.
jmd
Grafter

Well, I use my bus pass occasionally and when I do I have noticed that everyone on the bus also has a pass!  It I get the bus into town before 9.30am it costs £1.30 and parking my car for 4 hrs is only £1.20 so does not make sense to use bus on those mornings.  Used to be able to go on train to Sheffield or Lincoln half price but since last April when the subsidy was taken away it is full price.  So many older folk who used to go to Sheffield don't bother now - they get bus to Doncaster instead [takes as long as getting to Sheffield from Worksop by ttrain - 1 hr! as the bus stops everywhere on way].
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: thisoldman
we used to have a free car service to take one to hospital for o/p  appointments but it was stopped because too many pigeonheads
were abusing it. They would call the car service and once they had got to the hospital in da big city, they disappeared into the town centre to go shopping.

I wonder if they were all abusing the system. Unless the car service could be 100% relied on to be punctual I would order it for an hour earlier than necessary and rather than wait in a hospital for an extra hour go somewhere nearby to pass the time.
I am reminded of a story in the papers several years ago. There was some fellow who lived near a hospital. He would go out for a night on the town feign some illness or injury and call for an ambulance. Having been dropped at the hospital he would  then disappear. After a couple of times the ambulance service got wise and took him to a hospital in the opposite direction!
N/A

Strat - why won't you get your bus pass? I thought that everyone got one at 60 years of age? 
Round here there are only older people who can afford to use the buses.
Personally, I reckon that if they made a small charge for older people to use the bus and this defrayed the cost of bus fares
for younger people than I would not mind.  I feel very sorry for people who have to go to work on the bus these days
because it is quite expensive and probably a big chunk out of their wages.
Friends of mine have bus passes and they certainly don't need them as they are quite comfortably off.
nadger
Rising Star

I didn't bother applying for my bus pass until I was in my 70s. Biggest expense was getting photos.
Friend of mine really makes use of his pass - even travelled 30 miles each way to see me in hospital last June.
jmd
Grafter

I am surprised that Stret has not already had one for a few years! Wink
Fixes: 47

I love you too Josie Wink
63 years and 1 week old as of now so yes I should have got one 3 years ago Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Belated Happy Birthday for last week then Strat! Smiley Smiley