cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus Pass

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bus Pass

Out bus passes expire March 2018 but with the local council in deep financial trouble I wonder if they have the option of stopping bus passes ?

The government do fund authorities but there is a short fall between what they get and what it costs them, are they obliged to continuing funding them ?

Anybody know ?

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Bus Pass

Bus passes are usually funded by the County Council, and I seem to remember someone in Government saying that they would be protected. A bit like the winter fuel allowance, too political to bin!

Fixes: 125

I have just received my bus pass today. Expiry 2022, so I hope it is protected till at least thenWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

No point in having a bus pass when you don't have a bus service. Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Less money from people paying to use the bus = less bus services = less people using the bus = less services = vicious circle of buslessness... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Well my bus pass issued by Carmarthenshire County Council and which I have had for five years, has no expiry date on it. As for stopping them well yes all Councils have that option but it would be political suicide, and the kiss of death to those deregulated bus companies all of whom rely heavily on those subsidies. Between the hours of ten and three which is when I would use the bus I reckon that at least three quarters of the passengers using the Cardigan to Carmarthen route have free passes.

I did check with Council last year and the said they had no plans to withdraw them for 2017/18

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Au contraire @Mayfly, in many rural areas there would be no point in having buses if there were no bus passes! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Although issued by the county councils, the passes are national; Englsih Scottish or Welsh, so no county can stop their issue. Each authority has an amount from the government issued to the standard formula, which takes no account of local demographics, nor is it ringfenced. Some minor adjustments are made for honeypot areas. 

Average reimbursements per journey were calculated on baskets of fares; singles, returns, period etc, then adjusted for expected increased journeys. The ideas was no gain no loss to operators. That was the theory O&EE, but throughout councils have been accused of underpaying. As a result some operators increase fares for a route to increase income. The combination of that increase making a service less attractive to payers. more drain on council resources can be a service's death knell.

You can wake up now!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Interesting, but at odds with what was implied by my Council when they said they had no plans to withdraw them for 2017/18.

'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice Smiley

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I get a free Oyster card through work and it expires 2069 so I don't think I'll need to worry about renewing it, and I sincerely hope they aren't expecting me to work for them that long.

The thing with Oyster and similar payment cards is that they can be cancelled/invalidated at the stroke of a few keys on the computer so no chance of using them after I leave since it will be cancelled as part of my end of employment procedure.