cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus Crash injures children in school run

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Bus Crash injures children in school run

A double decker bus has crashed into a low railway bridge near Winchester, seriously injuring children, who were screaming at that driver about the bridge. others also injured.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8717825/Children-rushed-hospital-injuries-double-decker-sch...

Apparently, the driver was running late, and decided to take another route... the kids were telling him to "go back"... as it was not their normal route....

6 REPLIES 6
Aspiring Pro

Re: Bus Crash injures children in school run

First Day on the job !

Locals have said the driver was a 'complete novice' to the route. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

I suspect it will be his last day on the job as well.

Hope those children who were injured recover quickly.

Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not the first time & won't be the last time it happens either.

The bus company has an official route planned out for this very reason as it would have been checked for height clearance for double deck buses.

Double deck buses & HGV striking bridges etc is a common occurrence.

Come accross a few instances during my work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

You would think..... that by now..... the owner`s of low bridges, should be obliged, by law, to install bridge height/vehicle height measuring devices, at a suitable distance from the bridge to enable overheight vehicles to stop, before hitting.. and possibly damaging the bridge.

There is one in our local area, that was constructed to take the A27 as a wide dual carriageway by-pass around a village.. but it was exceptionally low... and has measuring equipment that flashes up a warning sign and a diversion route, to any oversize vehicle..  some skip lorries chance it though, and forget about their gantry legs being in the wrong position   ooops ! .

Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@PowerLee wrote:
The bus company has an official route planned out for this very reason as it would have been checked for height clearance for double deck buses.

I imagine it has changed now, but we used to have to take 13' 10" deckers under 13' 6" marked bridges, 2 of them on one school run I used to do. So once the company has ignored one lot of signage, what confidence to staff members have?

Both companies I worked for didn't do proper route learning. In fact, one of them officially stated, if you don't know the way, ask the kids. It's amazing how many times new drivers ended up miles away from the school they were supposed to be going to. The kids loved the "wet behind the ears" drivers!

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Never happend in my day, the horses had sense enough to duck their heads before going under those low bridges. 🤣

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today