cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burning Building

Community Veteran

Burning Building

A building in London, nicknamed the Walkie Talkie, has been melting any car parked near to it. it's caused by reflective rays coming off the glass.
Reflective problems
The building's owners have agreed to pay for repairs to the vehicles damaged but at this time will not pay any other compensation.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Burning Building

I seem to remember hearing of another building in the USA that had a similar effect. If I remember right it was causing heatstroke in swimmers who were in the pool below it.
I wonder how they'll fix this one?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

On the news they showed a few shops that was also effected. Smoking mats, display panels etc.
As one was a restaurant I wonder how their air-con bill will go?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We could do with a bit of lateral thinking here......... they should have designed the building so the sun was reflected in a smaller area but focused on a  large water tank which could have provided free hot water for a number of buildings. Smiley
Community Veteran

They are suggesting covering the windows with a reflective covering.  So far they think the problem is limited due to the angle of the sun but this hasn't been established yet.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
On the news

Just seen 5 news.. turns out the guy who designed it was the same guy who designed the one in the USA I spoke of in my previous reply. You'd think he'd learn his lesson wouldn't you.
Quote from: artmo
They are suggesting covering the windows with a reflective covering.  So far they think the problem is limited due to the angle of the sun but this hasn't been established yet.

Yes they said about the suns angle on the news a few mins ago. Strange thing being it'll be there again next year so blaming the sun for it's position isn't going to get the bloke who made a cock-up off the hook really. The sun has been there millions of years doing it's thing lol.
As for how to solve it, seeing as the guy who designed it made this mistake before and had to solve it, he should be experienced enough to sort this lol
Thunderclap
Grafter

What goes around comes around...
Archimedes used his 'burning mirrors' at the Siege of Syracuse 212 BC using the same principle, but only in one linear dimension.
Meanwhile the Olympic flame is lit in the Olympic Cauldron - a light ray focuser.
++ And I should add, your Sky dish uses exactly the same offset focus principle. Think of the building's windows as the surface of the dish and the car as the LNB on the end of the stem...
Cool Sizzling
What's really impressive about this building is the focal point is so well defined. It's possibly the infrared focal point which, as you remember from burning ants as a kid, is the hottest focal point.
I think they will rename the building The Furnace
Community Veteran

It's even hot enough to fry an egg Wink Wink
Fried Eggs
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
Archimedes used his 'burning mirrors' at the Siege of Syracuse 212 BC using the same principle, but only in one linear dimension.

I thought mythbusters proved that wrong?
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
I thought mythbusters proved that wrong?

You mean Mythbusters, the TV series where clueless American Idiots do things even dumber than the plonkers on Top Gear? And call it science?
Thinks. Maybe they could send The Stigg to sit in a car that's being fried by that building?
Community Veteran

We those clueless idiots are ex special effects guys who are actually both very skilled engineers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage each with a net worth $8 Million. They are not so dumb.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
We those clueless idiots are ex special effects guys who are actually both very skilled engineers.

Sorry, cellotaping plastic bottles together to make a rocket is not rocket science, it's just twenty minutes of American TV. The only employable engineer on Mythbusters is that Asian guy.
BTW I think this building was the inspiration for the Walkie-Talkie :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_furnace
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage each with a net worth $8 Million. They are not so dumb.

Absolutely agree.  This problem will be fixed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Anyone who designs a building like a parabolic mirror and doesn't check where the focal point is is either dumb or stupid given that it was the second time they did it.