cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burglary is your own fault.

Fixes: 47

Burglary is your own fault.

According to a 'letter of apology' allegedly written by a burglar to his victim the victim was to blame by leaving curtains open and a window ajar when going to bed.
Some may agree and cite basic errors of judgement by the occupier but I would still question the right of anyone to enter property uninvited with the intent to steal.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Burglary is your own fault.

Reminds me of a woman who used to live near me. One day I heard her (everyone did) shouting at her nieghour that it was his fault in having an apple tree in his garden, tempting her teenage boys to climb over the fence and help themselves.
I expect they grew up believing their Mum that it was everyone else's fault for whatever future trouble they got in.
I'm old enough to remember my parents not locking doors and leaving windows open. It's sad that we have come to this where next to no one can be trusted not to rob you blind.
Community Veteran

I hve never seen the sense in getting a thief to write a letter of apology.  He should be taken back to court and have his sentence re-written Wink
Community Veteran

Just been listening to a report on the radio which pointed out several significant errors in the reporting of this story, including:
1. This was NOT part of any "restorative justice" program
2. The letter was not sent to anyone (which the online BBC report does state, though other reporting does not)
Whatever process it was generated in, and at what stage, there also have to be some confidentiality questions raised...  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

This was discussed on Question Time last night and it was made clear the letter was intercepted before it got to the victim.
James
Grafter

Yep, it was on Sky News Breakfast yesterday stating that the victim never saw it.
Community Veteran

Though as it's been leaked they've probably seen it now.  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Thieves should be chained by the neck in a dark cold stone lined cell for several months for the first offence. On the second offence the sentence should be doubled. If that doesn't work they should be made to live in New York City USA for a couple of months.  Grin
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

What have the good citizens of New York City done to deserve our trash Cheesy
(Slipped in an Americanism there Cool)
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You could almost map this thief's life out for him, in and out of prison for most of his early life and likely involvement in drug & alcohol abuse,continuing throughout life with a chip on his shoulder, aggressive towards any advice given by anyone in authority and possibly meeting an early death due to his high risk lifestyle.
Community Veteran

.............poorly educated, unemployed,  no job prospects etc.