cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bumping..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Bumping..

Just noticed that Pluscom's NowTV battery thread has been locked after he stood accused of bumping his own thread.
I also noticed Midnight caller decided to accuse him of spamming. Pot, Ketle, Black MC. How many times have you posted news articles with links to your own forum instead of the news article on the original site?
While I've no idea what NowTV is or what this battery thing is that Pluscom was on about, I do find Pluscoms topics a change from the norm. He always posts positive stuff, informative stuff, things that he thinks might interest other people etc and he brings a lot of variety to the forum. Admittedly I didn't understand what he was babbling on about in the NowTV topic as I've no idea what it is (hey I'm poor remember!) but I do think that Pluscom was genuinely misunderstood and simply trying to give information should they want to try it themselves. Perhaps moving the topic to the hardware forum may have been more appropriate? - Those who were genuinely interested could have continued to follow his progress while the rest of the users who didn't care could ignore it. I certainly don't think that Pluscom was intentionally bumping his topic to gain attention or whatever reason bumping is banned for.
Keep posting Pluscom, many of us enjoy your topics and you are a valued member of the plusnet forums.
Sorry OldJim but I feel that you wrongly accused Pluscom about the bumping.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Bumping..

Umm... Sprite, you may have got the wrong idea as to why the thread was locked. If you look at Jim's note it states that it was locked at the request of PlusCom (OP in the note).
Maybe an apology is in order, just for common courtesy.  Wink
Community Veteran

I never said that OJ decided to lock it. I am aware of his note that he locked it at the ops request.
What I am saying however is that I feel it was wrong to accuse Pluscom of bumping the thread. I think Pluscom tries very hard to bring us a variety of topics and although this one didn't get any replies, he clearly felt that he'd made some sort of progress which the rest of us might find useful and he was simply reporting his findings. It's not as if his replies were one word 'bump' messages either, he posted quite a lot of information in each reply.
I don't think Pluscom did anything wrong to be honest. This forum has a lot of lurkers aswell as regular posters so why should we assume from the lack of replies, that others were not interested in seeing Pluscoms progress?
If I have offended OJ then I apologise but I think OJ knows if I wanted to have a go at him, I'd have been a lot stronger with my comments. I certainly did not mean to offend but simlpy put forward my view that I think he got Pluscoms intentions wrong.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I don't really see it as an accusation by OJ. To me it looks like a friendly reminder just to make sure PlusCom doesn't stray into a bumping situation.
Of course people can read into the same thing something completely different. Maybe it was a case of this very common aspect of web text.
Community Veteran

Quote from: RPMozley
I don't really see it as an accusation by OJ. To me it looks like a friendly reminder just to make sure PlusCom doesn't stray into a bumping situation.

To be honest, with the amount of information that Pluscom was posting with each reply, it was far from bumping IMO and there was no need for a reminder of that forum rule - friendly or not!
If his replies had been one or two words or even just one whole sentence I could understand it but I do think that the quality of Pluscoms replies shows that bumping was not the intention.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Sprite
Just noticed that Pluscom's NowTV battery thread has been locked after he stood accused of bumping his own thread.
I also noticed Midnight caller decided to accuse him of spamming. Pot, Kettle, Black MC. How many times have you posted news articles with links to your own forum instead of the news article on the original site?
While I've no idea what NowTV is or what this battery thing is that Pluscom was on about, I do find Pluscoms topics a change from the norm. He always posts positive stuff, informative stuff, things that he thinks might interest other people etc and he brings a lot of variety to the forum. Admittedly I didn't understand what he was babbling on about in the NowTV topic as I've no idea what it is (hey I'm poor remember!) but I do think that Pluscom was genuinely misunderstood and simply trying to give information should they want to try it themselves. Perhaps moving the topic to the hardware forum may have been more appropriate? - Those who were genuinely interested could have continued to follow his progress while the rest of the users who didn't care could ignore it. I certainly don't think that Pluscom was intentionally bumping his topic to gain attention or whatever reason bumping is banned for.
Keep posting Pluscom, many of us enjoy your topics and you are a valued member of the plusnet forums.
Sorry OldJim but I feel that you wrongly accused Pluscom about the bumping.

Sprite, thank you for all the positive posts in this thread of yours.
You are 100% correct in your thoughts.
I asked Jim to lock the thread, as there weren't any positive comments, and as you say, it possibly was a bit above some peoples heads.
And to take away any temptation on my part to add extra.
I have mentioned before, I was involved in the development of the NOW TV box, in consultation with SKY & Now TV, but was, and still am, subject to a NDA.
(However, there are exciting developments to come)
So naturally, I am excited to contribute about the Box, and peripheral items.
On the NDA NOW TV / SKY private communications, a similar explanation has been very well received, but there others are also actively involved.

My previous work history has been translating very technical information to other Board Members, something I try to do here too.