Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bullying on the forum.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Bullying on the forum.

Quote from: Devonian
Why do the mods allow certain people to act as they please, no matter how offensive their posts may be

+1. I've witnessed this frequently.
I have many PMs from different people about one particular member who frequently gives people a hard time and gets away with it year after year.
I've often wondered how that member remains unbanned.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

How do you know they haven't been banned for a period of time?
There is a lot that goes on in the background that most of you won't be aware of.  These could include bans, both temporary and permanent, or quiet words with people who may have stepped out of line.  Not every interaction will be broadcast to the entire forum for them to debate whether it was the right choice or not.  At the end of the day, it is down to the discretion of the mods as to how they deal with errant behaviour, and there is a lot of discussion between the mods on how to handle different situations.
To be honest, a bunch of you are lucky that I stepped down several years ago, as I would have banned a lot of you for the petty bickering I've seen going on.
B.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
<snip>
Why do the mods allow certain people to act as they please, no matter how offensive their posts may be, and then jump on others for minor infringement?

+2. Also witnessed many times Sad

Is it not a fact that a / all forum Moderator(s) should remain impartial @ all times
Or does PN / SMF have a different rule that supersedes the former ?Huh
Quote from: Barry

How do you know they haven't been banned for a period of time?
<snip>

Then the offender that got banned would not be posting for said period
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Barry

To be honest, a bunch of you are lucky that I stepped down several years ago, as I would have banned a lot of you for the petty bickering I've seen going on.
B.

Does ONE mod have that power?  I thought it was a "collective" decision, by a (possible) quorum of mods ......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Me too.
It just shows that the mods are a bit .. trigger happy sometimes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Any Mod can ban (handy for abusive posters in the absence of other Mods online at the time)
Other Mods can then get involved and discuss if a ban was necessitated.
Staff are probably classed as Admin and can overrule any Mod action (and ban / Gag mods)
Just reading through the attitude on previous posts here makes some members look like they are trying to stir things again.
I very much doubt there is a great Mod conspiracy anywhere here - they are probably just sick and tired of the same old members bickering.
Community Veteran

It just shows that the mods are a bit .. trigger happy sometimes.

Speaking as a Mod on another forum and an ex-Mod on one of the worlds largest forums, you occasionally need to make the "instant" decision to stop things from kicking off, post a note in the Mod forum and wait for the other Mods to voice their opinion.
Often by leaving the post on / member able to post the thread will escalate and instead of slapping a couple of wrists you need to issue warnings to a group of people.
One "event" I had to clear up after on another forum ended up with many infraction warnings to members, a couple of bans, apologies to other members who were affected etc etc - not something you really want to have to deal with when you have a family you want to spend time with.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: DomS
great Mod conspiracy

To ban all the forum Rockers. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Nah.... you have to ban both to stop fighting...
( remember Brighton?  a few years back...  ?)
quote from Wiki.....  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_rockers

BBC News stories from May 1964 stated that mods and rockers were jailed after riots in seaside resort towns in Southern England, such as Margate, Brighton, Bournemouth and Clacton.[4] Mods sometimes sewed fish hooks or razor blades into the backs of their lapels......

(Oooh...you naughty mods ,,.. you..  Shocked )

the UK media turned the mod subculture into a negative symbol of delinquent and deviant status.

And here`s me, thinking that the rockers were the evil ones ! ! !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As parents we used to "punish" both of the kids if they were caught scrapping. One was being punished for causing the scrap, the other was being punished for not avoiding the situation. We had few scraps and they survived to adulthood.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
myredhotcar
Grafter

Thanks Devonian, I will disagree with a lot of people in life being a liberal idiot but it isn't personal and I fully accept not everyone agrees with my views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I have a problem with is other people constantly trying to put other members down for what they do post. I think it's quite clear that many people here have a problem with PluscomUK (Yes see unlike many I dare post the username) which is wrong. Pluscom contributes a LOT of effort to try and keep this forum alive and kicking and many of you bash him for it but are too cowardly to even mention his username. What is wrong with him posting these articles? - You didn't get there first? - Is that it?

Now then, this is so true.
Some people just don't get it, nor me, do they !!
I do think you are correct, the fact I am often on the Internet at silly early times most days means I have an advantage in spotting articles that I think may be of interest to others.
And yes, most of my posts and thread starters are crafted, and take a while, and hopefully make enjoyable reading for most.
It is amazing, perhaps not, that the snipers and whingers never actually appear to fully read and comprehend the thread or post they are criticizing, in a roundabout way.

Some consistent detractors have little, if anything to contribute to some threads, yet seem determined to keep their post count up by adding a negative comment which bears no relation to the actual thread !!
A lot of my threads are, as mentioned above, crafted, not just thrown together, yet all the detractors can contribute is a couple of lines snide comment, which add nothing, but just show themselves up, they invariably cannot see this !
Well there's one thing, by doing this on a public Forum, they are shown to all for what they are !!
And rarely is this supported by others.

Yes, my Journalistic training allows me to contribute threads in a presentable, formatted way.
A feature sadly lacking in some derogatory responses.
It's not really bullying, it's plain stalking & trolling, as is demonstrated many times.
I do tend to ignore them, but occasionally, unfortunately, whilst reading other contributors welcome and thoughtful contributions, I do come across them !!

Nothing to contribute, say Nothing, as my very wise and Intelligent Gran used to say !!
TORPC
Grafter

Fixes: 632

Hasn't everyone blown themselves out yet?
/sigh
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Community Veteran

It seems like not. I for one find this a very interesting read as I read more than I post.
Often I have what I think a suitable response, but decide to keep it private because often I have neither the time or patience to justify nearly every word I write. This of course does not add to the debate, in one sense, but it might strike a chord with others, who think as I do.