Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building sites

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Building sites

Quote from: Denzil
The structure of the crane will be strong enough to support the weight for the short time whilst it is being rebalanced.

Really pleased to hear that! although the counter-balance doesn't "look" as if it moves, but then I suppose it doesn't have to move very far to do its job...
Here near where I live, in Hemel Hempstead, the landmark Kodak building is being refurbished, there is a very tall crane working there that is clamped to the building halfway up. Since the building is quite high up (as in a hill) the view from the crane must be pretty spectacular. Oddly, the three top floors were demolished (I wonder why?) and are being replaced with steel girder framed floors, given the originally concrete structure (and other topics in this thread) the thought occurs that it the concrete was no longer strong enough?
However, whilst the demolition was going on, it was interesting to see JCB's and larger vehicles whizzing about near the edge 16 floors up. Yesterday; I get a very good view from my wife's hairdresser while I'm waiting, and a bucket of some sort was at the full extent of the jib, with a man in it leaning out pointing at something on the side of the construction 19 floors up, I hope he was being paid an awful lot of money!!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
madjbright
Grafter

Here is a picture of 2 mobile cranes being used to dismantle a fixed crane from the side of a 20 story building in Basingstoke today. It took all day yesterday for the smaller (although still large) mobile crane to get the larger crane ready for use and they dismantled the static crane today.
Here are a couple more pictures
Picture 2
Picture 3
madjbright
Grafter

Hit the wrong button. Sorry. Sad
But thought that I would try adding an image:
pierre_pierre
Grafter

going back a bit but how about this
This is the world's tallest building ...
"Burj Dubai" @ 2,620 ft / 801m!!!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
and how do they get it up there in the first place ! ! !....   Roll_eyes

Tower cranes erecte there self as thay move up the building, 9 times out of 10 the crane is bilt in the lift shaft
Quote from: Mav
When I was a child I was told that the building was often built around the crane then that space was used as a lift shaft - any truth in this?

Yes with tower cranes only!
itsme
Grafter

Tower cranes inside lift shafts? Urban myth, I like to know how a tower crane is dismantled inside a lift shaft?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

It is not a Urban myth I seen it on discovery channel
itsme
Grafter

Lift shafts are normally built first and tower cranes may well be placed on top of them after they have been built as they are structurally sound. But I can't see them being constructed inside a shaft for two main reason, 1 Dismantling, 2. The working area to build the lift shaft is too close to the tower.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Because I don't know the answer I did a bit of checking
Q:  Construction cranes are often built around - why? What is done with the crane when building is finished?
I have often seen that construction cranes are placed in the middle of a building site and slowly the building, like a hotel is built around the crane. With the crane practicaly being built into the building, what is done with it...... (2 answers - asked 29 months ago)
A: The crane is usually mounted within the elevator shaft...
The crane within a building is usually mounted on the walls of the lift (elevator) shaft and it is jacked up as construction proceeds. So at any one time, the actual length of the crane tower itself is only about 2-3 floors height- say between 20-30 metres. When the roof has been cast, they simply dismantle the crane from the roof level and lower the pieces down the elevator shaft before the elevators are installed.
http://askville.amazon.com/SimilarQuestions.do?req=Construction-cranes-built-crane-building-finished
The main advantages to builders go far beyond price. As a building rises, the tower crane hoists itself from floor to floor by means of built-in hydraulic jacks. It supports itself on the building's side or on a tower that runs up inside what will later become an elevator shaft. Its counterbalanced boom can deftly pinpoint a load anywhere on the construction floor, whereas crawlers, operating from street level, can only inch a load to the edge of the floor. And the tower's heights are unlimited, while the crawler can rise no higher than 35 stories without danger of toppling. At job's end, the contractor simply disassembles the tower crane and lowers the parts to the ground.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,875702,00.html
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Lift shafts are normally built first and tower cranes may well be placed on top of them after they have been built as they are structurally sound. But I can't see them being constructed inside a shaft for two main reason, 1 Dismantling, 2. The working area to build the lift shaft is too close to the tower.

See this http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_future/Transcripts/s850004.htm
itsme
Grafter

Only one of the descriptions supplied by Oldjim is it clear that the inside of the lift shaft is used the other 2 could be describing the use of the outside of the lift shaft is being used as the support. Unfortunatey I saw the Petronas Twin Towers at the end of 1998 just about the time it was completed so no Tower cranes were around. But all the tower cranes that I have seen I have never seen them inside a lift shaft, they have either mounted on a lower roof level or like the one in the photos for the Barj Dubai. For a buildings like the Petronas Twin Towers and the Barj Dubia it would be very unlikely that you will have a single lift shaft from ground to top anyway.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well it wasn't in a lift shaft but there was a crane in the middle of our building (a fairly large one, too) for the first couple of weeks we were in here. Then they brought in another, mobile crane to dismantle the one in the building. It was quite a sight. The road out front was shut due to being covered with large bits of crane for most of the day.
itsme
Grafter

Are the workers in the photo at the top of the Barj Dubai on the girders wear parachutes for safety?  Smiley
Community Veteran

You wouldn't want to enquire too closely about Health & Safety in the Dubai contruction industry.  Lips_are_sealed
(my daughter, who's a civil engineer, worked there for a while)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you go to the BurJ web site http://www.burjdubai.com you will see that it has 10 elevators, lots of pics and facts