cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build your own.........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Build your own.........

A certain company, has been selling bits of things to make on monthly basis .... the latest, I have just seen advertised is

STAR WARS MILLENIUM somthing or other.... a round space ship type thing....  I used to see these plastic toys at car boots for less than a fiver...
Ok.. so the one you make yourself, may, ..... be better as a "model" for the "collector"... but.... 100 issues to make it... costing £8.99 each... works out at  £899.00 and will take about 2 years to complete...
Would it really be worth £899.00 when finished? and who would want to buy it,...IF you put it on the market?
I just can`t understand the people who get "sucked in" to these schemes.... though obviously, there must be plenty of them, otherwise the "certain company" would not keep coming up with "new" stuff .....
Has anyone on the forum, actually started, AND more importanly..... finished one of these "projects"... If you did manage to finish it... was it as good as you expected, and was it worth the enormous cost in time and effort ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Build your own.........

Never been tempted.
I think there has been some cases where the project was never finished as they decided not enough copies were being sold.
Best stick to the Lego  Wink
Community Veteran

It's a shocker if you work out how much these boats/robots/dinosaurs/trains/globes etc cost in total.
You can usually without fail buy a better complete genuine/antique/collectors/manufactured version.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess it's about people getting pleasure about tinkering around with things, in the past I have built a few things from Heath Kit  which  might have been cheaper to buy but it was more for the pleasure of making it and hopefully learning something at the same time.
Fixes: 47

I've built stuff from Airfix kits and if you want to build stuff yourself for the pleasure of having done so, that's fine.
I've looked at the total cost of these monthly build-it schemes in the same way as shutter and can't believe why anyone would shell out that kind of money.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, but with Heathkit,... you got the whole lot in one go... and could proceed at your "leisure"/ "experience level to end up with a working  radio/gadget, which,,  if it didn`t work, you could also send off to them to "fault find" and rectify, so in the end, you did get a working piece of equipment.
and the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself....
( same, ( except for the return to fix it) for Airfix kits... you got the lot in one go... )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I am going to save artmo a post lol:
I think it's a great way of keeping people employed in factories and contributing to the economy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd rather build a 1:350 (aka 3ft) Polar Lights USS Enterprise model, I just haven't anywhere to put it when it's done... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There is a story of a Suffolk farmer, who spent all his spare time for 20 years building a 1:100 scale replica model of the Temple of Jerusalem, (10 square meters of model with over 2000 figures). It became an obsession, he lost interest in the farm, sold his livestock and rented out his fields. His wife and family thought of having him committed until one day a group of Rabbi turned up at his farm house……………… with his attention to detail he his has since been recognized as the world authority on the Temple of Jerusalem, his farm is apparently visited daily by world religious leaders.
Fixes: 125

It's amazing the rubbish some folk will buy if you call it limited edition and price it high!
I used to work for Franklin Mint back in the 80's for a short while waiting to start at the GLC. Basically it involved opening the post and sorting the numerous cheques and postal orders for the various offers. I was gob-smacked at the number of people actually buying these limited edition coins and so forth. Yes, they were limited but at 100,000 or even more Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, I've never been tempted to one of these weekly construction series kits but, my eldest son has, he took one of the rail locomotive issues (not sure what is was maybe "The Royal Scot" or something like that)
Did he begrudge the amount of money it cost? not at all. He thoroughly enjoyed the process making a superb job of it in the process.
His view was, you can buy an Airfix kit and glue it together in a matter of minutes, untrimmed and unpainted and it will look...rubbish, or you can settle down taking great care and produce an exceptionally accurate painted model, something that with care most Airfix kits are capable of.
His experience was (is) that these part work kits are worth the effort to take slowly and carefully. The supplied parts deserve it.
Well that's his opinion anyway.  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.