cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget!

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Budget!

Was just watching the budget live on BBC.
Some guy text and brought something up that i never even thought of, even though its sooooo obvious!
Ok, so your in the market for a new car or will be very soon. Go buy a 'banger' from Autotrader for £50. Find a car that you want, rock into the garage of your choice and get £2000 off the RRP, straight away!!!
Bonkers! (if this is how it works obviously!)
34 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Budget!

not acccording to the BBC news feed http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8012229.stm
I would like to buy a new car.
The government is copying the Germans and the French and bringing in a scrappage scheme. From May 2009 to March 2010 you will be able to get a guaranteed £2,000 trade-in value for your old car, if it is at least ten years old and you buy a new car. But watch out for the fine print, you probably won't be allowed to buy an old banger and get it scrapped straight away while cashing in the government cheque.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

And no doubt the value of such 'old bangers' would rise with demand anyway, so you won't get one for £50!
Community Veteran

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
Go buy a 'banger'

I've already had a couple of car traders knocking on my door in the last few days interested in buying at least one of my cars - we have 3 at home at the moment all over 10 years old!
I guess they were anticipating the announcement.
As for doing what was suggested, why would the government care? The whole point is to stimulate buying, and incidentally maybe also get some dangerous/polluting cars off the road.
Lurker
Grafter

Dammit, just sold our 11year old car. Grrr.
Mind you, I wouldn't buy a *new* car anyway, the closest I'd come would be 'pre-registered' - would this have still qualified?
Community Veteran

As always, the devil is in the detail.
We'll have to wait and see what the rules are and when it starts.
Fixes: 104

Yep you can only do it on the cars 10th birthday if you've had if for 11 years  Crazy
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

It could also have an affect of pushing up secondhand car prices? For instance if you are a two or more car household you could buy a 9 year car as a one of the second cars drive it around for a year and then cash it in for new car. How much will the 9 year old car be, less then £2k or more? If it's the former then you will have a year driving for free.
Community Veteran

I just heard something which says you have to have owned it for at least a year and have current MOT, tax and insurance.
Also half the money is coming from "us" and half from the motor industry and the dealer has to then scrap the car.
Seems reasonably anti-fiddling.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this pink rework is going for less than £2k, and its been on the forecourt for several months
chrisyoung
Grafter

i dont get why they are doing this. what good is this going to the economy have they forgot that there is no british car manufactures left. the germans and jappenese must be laughing
Fixes: 104

Unless you want to trade it in for an Aston, they are still built round here. As are a few others...
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You forgot the Indian Con artist who bought up Gaydon then said I havnt got any money, can the UK government bail me out
Apparently the old car must have been registered in your name for two years
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

It's registered for 12 months pierre and the scheme apparently starts middle of next month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Unless you want to trade it in for an Aston,

I'd love to, drove a DB9 at the weekend!! Four laps round the circuit at Prestwold Hall on one of those driving experiences. Fantastic car...
Not quite as quick as the Lambo's my daughters were driving but a superb car never the less.