cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget cuts of 25% in non-ringfenced services - a suggestion

Community Veteran

Budget cuts of 25% in non-ringfenced services - a suggestion

Now here's a thought.
Why not cut the BBC Licence Fee by at least 25% over the next 5 years? At least 5% a year, starting now.
It's nothing like as important as some of the things that will be cut, there's loads of stuff they do that is expensive and either pointless or could be done cheaper. And we'd (almost) all save money.
Other businesses and departments are having to make economies, are the BBC immune?  Lips are sealed
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Budget cuts of 25% in non-ringfenced services - a suggestion

I'd agree with that
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

They could save over 5% of the budget, by NOT making those stupid "adverts" or "trailers" for programmes.... You know the one`s , where they flash on screen several non-related bits of the prog to make it look as though it is going to be "really exciting"... and you must watch it.. Personally, I find them irritating, as I haven`t a clue what they are supposed to be about, and they give even less of an idea of what a programme is going to be like, than a "voice over" announcer.... Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well some one is making cuts some where, just got my new phone book, last year 688 pages, this 566
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@HP & Shutter agree
But I'd take it a step further...........Ban all forms of advertising (including trailers)on BBC.......or........allow advertising and abolish the licence fee, don't mind which.
I often get the feeling there is as much 'trailer advertising' on Radio 4 as 'real advertsing' on Classic FM
The radio trailer tends to be a "turn off" for the program, lost count of the trailers for Jeremy Hardy speaks to the nation, the program was supposedly funny I thought  garbage radio.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

and stop that silly practice of having the reporter standing in front of some building or other when he could just as easily be reporting from the studio
Community Veteran

They've cut down on studio space to save money.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@old jim.... yes, I agree,  how stupid is that..... is it supposed to ad credence or validity to what the reporte "THINKS" happened/was said inside?
doesn`t fool me.... they could use a huge blue screen, and project a picture/movie (with traffic) of the building..... they do it when they make programmes, so why not for the news?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
make programmes, so why not for the news?

Was under the impression that already happened
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can easily - the lag between responses while the signal goes up to the expensive satellite and back again, dont get that in the studio
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
They've cut down on studio space to save money.  Wink

On BBC breakfast this week they said they were doing just this.  There is a move to sell their main TV Centre and lease back just part of the space for their own use.  Modern production techniques apparently don't need all the studio space they did in the past.
Community Veteran

Studios now tend to be on a much smaller scale.
Gabe
Community Veteran

BBC said that Television Centre is now a listed building so they do not have the option to pull it down or sell it off for development.
With a lot of programmes now being made by independent companies I guess this is another reason for cutting back.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Now here's a thought.
Why not cut the BBC Licence Fee by at least 25% over the next 5 years? At least 5% a year, starting now.

The licence fee costs less than 40p a day and I think it is particularly good value for money.  A visit to the cinema costs around £7.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

And I can get 4 quality channels for that price.
Plus a lot of radio channels.
Plus downloads of some of the programmes.
Plus Dave for the re-broadcasts.