Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget 2017

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Budget 2017

Next week Philip Hammond MP will give his first Budget as Chancellor. 

According to Which? five million working people in the UK are worried about their financial situation. One in five of them are relying on credit cards, overdrafts or the goodwill of their friends and family to help them get by.

Is the government doing enough to help those who are struggling financially?

Any thoughts about what will happen in the budget speech?

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Budget 2017

I guess not much will happen, increases in personal allowance, bit more money for social care & public services.

He needs to keep back money for any future drops in the economy due to Britexit.

Budgets are really a waste of time, we often get leaks prior to budget day, perhaps a way of testing public reaction ?

The only interesting budget is the last one prior to a general election.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

the Gov!! never does enough for family's who are struggling , he will just move money around to make it look like he  giving some thing away to help .

But in fact things will stay the same , money will stay with them who already get it all

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chuffchuff
Rising Star

A week or so ago he came out with a warning for anyone considering purchasing a diesel car; not that long ago his predecessor(s) were encouraging folk to buy diesel.

We were looking at cars the last few weeks, given up for now; we were interested in a 1.6 automatic saloon or hatcback but not diesel bearing in mind the Chancellor's recent comments - virtually nothing available in our price range.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It would be good if he introduced a 50p tax per bid/offer on stock market transactions. It wouldn't affect genuine investors much, but it would hit speculators who put up large volumes of potential trades they have no intention of transacting.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

chuffchuff wrote:

A week or so ago he came out with a warning for anyone considering purchasing a diesel car; not that long ago his predecessor(s) were encouraging folk to buy diesel.

That's most likely before the government knew about the scandalous activities of the car industry but recent revelations say some petrol cars are just as bad. Maybe you'd be better off buying an electric car with zero road fund licence?

chuffchuff
Rising Star

We looked at the Toyota Yaris Hybrids. We live in a rural location so our choice of dealer is limited to who is within a 40 mile range. The Toyota looked great but it runs on diesel & electric and when the electric needs recharging it switches over to the diesel. I was quite shocked at how few mid range cars - 1.5 upto 1.8 are available with petrol and then of course that's before this nonsense with not being able to pay the balance with cash. The dealers all want us to use PCP, we were told that by refusing PCP we would not be able to have any special discounts etc etc. So, we walked!

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

MKSlinky wrote:

Next week Philip Hammond MP will give his first Budget as Chancellor. 

According to Which? five million working people in the UK are worried about their financial situation. One in five of them are relying on credit cards, overdrafts or the goodwill of their friends and family to help them get by.

Is the government doing enough to help those who are struggling financially?

Any thoughts about what will happen in the budget speech?

That's an awful lot, but before I weep in my soup, I'd want to see some analysis of the causes. Some few years back there was much discussion on Money Savings Expert Forums on reclamation of banks' unauthorised overdraft fees, and unrepaid loans. The attitude of many was arrogant. It was the banks' faults for lending; the banks had no right to want something for allowing and controlling the accounts, an unreality about the true costs of running a business. It was clear that some were just cavalier, others had had no guidance from anyone on matters like budgeting. Perhaps in affluence such things are in no need of consideration! Really!

I feel proud that one of our children remarked, how well we had trained him. It's a pity others are having to learn the hard way, because no one cared to teach them in their youth.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Pete11
Pro

@chuffchuff

Did you try looking at LPG as another alternative to diesel? As I remember, this has not been mentioned in recent budgets therefore (in my own mind) should be more cost effective. Just a thought.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

@Pete11

Things might have changed in recent years but one problem with LPG was the amount of room the tank containing the gas took up in the boot.

Community Veteran

chuffchuff wrote:

We were looking at cars the last few weeks, given up for now; we were interested in a 1.6 automatic saloon or hatcback but not diesel bearing in mind the Chancellor's recent comments - virtually nothing available in our price range.

Not sure about the sales figures for new or nearly new diesel cars, no doubt they are low but the sales of older diesel cars has increased, perhaps some who do short journeys have decided a cheap diesel car may be more economical.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

@Pete11

but one problem with LPG was the amount of room the tank containing the gas took up in the boot.

A few people thought I was some sort of diver when they looked in the boot of my old Cavalier and saw what they thought was a very large air cylinder.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Same old I reckon.

Beer, fags and petrol but not to worry as I brew my own, I've not smoked for years, and the car will be gone soon enough. 

Excited? Not really.

PS. Two things to look out for from reading this morning papers are a retraction on that "triple lock" pension even though there will be a small increase in the state pension, and rumbles about a "death tax" - dipping into any estate to pay for the social care we might have had while we were still alive! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

The problem with LPG in Petrol engines is the same as Unleaded in a Leaded engine, say goodbye to your exhaust valves and valvestems, as the fuel burns too hot for them aswell as lacks the lubrication and combustion dampeners that are added to petrol to keep exhaust valves from burning up, resulting in a car that dies sooner, which is not exactly green or eco-friendly when you have to send something to be scrapped when it's barely run in...

Electric is presently a no-go for anyone other than yuppies and not very intelligent people who think mining and shipping toxic metals around the world is a great thing for the planet, as it stands the power grid is at full capacity, the grid would at worst most likely collapse if an upsurge in electric-only car usage were to happen, with all the power stations being closed & demolished, and nuclear power stations running at reduced capacity due to cracked boiler tanks (Hartlepool nuclear power station being one of those), with no signs of any replacements being built in any hurry, then forget electric, hell, forget having the lights on too... Crazy2

Hydrogen I hear someone say, also a no-go, the cheapest way to get it is from cracking it out of crude oil, aka the stuff that makes petrol and diesel, so still "not green", of course you have the people talking about HHO and electrolysis, but the energy that goes into that is twice that of what you get in return from the hydrogen, so inefficient, unsustainable and a waste of time, yes Hydrogen fuel cells are a great way to make electricity to run cars on (or even run petrol cars on, but see LPG for why not to), but, until Hydrogen is easier to obtain, it's just a scientific novelty...

Right now, there's no reliable technology to replace the traditional petrol and diesel engines, they're just too efficient to be beaten by anything else, and politically pushing for the need for alternatives before they're available in a sustainable and reliable form is just asinine, but, whoever said politicians knew what they were talking about eh? Funny

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Not only was I taken back by the lack of choice for automatics but there was also the engine size available. The salesman assured me that with the improvements in engine design a new 1.2 engine was more powerful than a 1.6 engine made in 2007.  Browsing on the internet the other day I saw a 1.2 Skoda Yeti; I called the showrooms & the persuasive chap assured me I wouldn't have to get out and push it up a steep hill if I had Mrs Chuffers, the dogs & the grandchildren in it.

Is that true?