cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget 2015

Steve
Pro

Budget 2015

I'm not sure what scares me most but this advert has disturbed me mentally. Funny though...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzdmSVSOEw
76 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Budget 2015

it will be the usual social security cuts (which they claim wont harm anyone) and tax cuts.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The bottom line needs to be that people working are better off than those on benefits,  especially the scroungers.
They are talking a good talk but let's see if they follow it up.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

These days little of what's in the budget comes as a surprise as most of it has already appeared in the press.
The actual budget simply confirms what we know already.
At one time this never happened, years ago the press took a guess at what the budget might contain but they were usually wrong on some predictions.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

well torys typically take money off the poor and give to the rich  Roll eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kremmen
The bottom line needs to be that people working are better off than those on benefits,  especially the scroungers.
They are talking a good talk but let's see if they follow it up.

I agree.
The problem is people who do work have long been better than those on benefits, the story that those on benefits are better off is somewhat a myth spread to justify these cuts.
Yes there is exceptions, but its certainly not the norm.  90% of unemployed claimants have benefits amounting to under 10k.  A min wage job pays over 10k.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@chrcoluk,
Whilst your figure of 90% may be correct one of the main complaints of those on the minimum wage is the diffrence between what they get for working compared to someone who decides not to work in some cases the difference may just be less than £100 a month, not uncommon to hear people say it does not pay me to work as I will lose benefits as a result of working.
There are also costs paid by those who work for transport, clothes etc, of course we all need clothes but what you wear at home might not be suitable for work.
I accept however are genuine cases of hardship but equally there are those who know how to play the system
nanotm
Pro

only if 90% are stupid, tax credits were a gift to everyone on benefits as a means to not raise the headline rate of the dole money, there are a whole host of other benefits like housing and cts which everyone on benefits could claim, there are other things like hardship funds available to those that bothered to fill out the forms.
the average out of work claimant (single) should get jobseekers + hb +cts+tax credits which would give them an income of around 15k, the average single person working 30 hours a week on minimum wage gets 10k a year and cant get hb or tax credits the disparity grows when you look at married with kids, no longer will this be the case and its a long overdue !
when I was working in a job earning circa 36k a year my sister was a single mum on benefits and generating an income larger than mine she was living in easy street and I was working hard to support loafers like her and thousands of other slack kneed bints who's only claim to such grandiose incomes was pushing out babies with multiple fathers none of whom were named on the birth certs or ever provided a penny towards their offspring, far from despising her or the others for what they did I pitied them for their plight being stuck in a trap built around them by a useless government that exacerbated the problems year after year
nb,
not all welfare income is actual cash the recipient sees, until very recently anyone who was on benefits was able to plead poverty to utility companies and get 90% of their bill written off which is a large chunk of whats covered by the caveat "other" in all those really naff looking pie charts the press are so keen on producing !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, the creation of a living wage will help to make it more advantageous for people to work. A good move from the chancellor.
@chrcok, I can't find any reference to your 90% figure. Can you supply a link please.
Fixes: 47

Would someone explain to me what the difference is between the Minimum Wage increased to £7.20 next April and the introduction next April of a Living Wage starting at £7.20 Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Kremmen
The bottom line needs to be that people working are better off than those on benefits,  especially the scroungers.

So what you're saying is that those who are paraplegics should not be able to live a quality of life that allows them to survive because "they're on benefits" and "should be better off than those on benefits".
Do you realise how many genuinely sick people rely on benefits to survive? Do you realise how many children are dependent on parents who claim benefits while they are unemployed or sick?
Scroungers yes. In fairness something needs to be done about them but from the way you speak they're all the same. You clearly don't like those who are inferior to yourself. Back in WW2 there was a german man who had that attitude too.
To put this into perspective, who on benefits is actually well off? Yes you hear of parents with 8 kids claiming £30-40k a year. Wow.. thats huge isn't it. Let me tell you something.. many "professional" people earn that much and they can still struggle to keep their head above water with a partner and one or two kids. Yet somehow those who have loads of kids are living it up?
You're not thinking straight. You think that because someone who doesn't work gets a large amount of money, they're living the high life. The reality is that very few of them actually are and the kids certainly aren't.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: 7up
So what you're saying is that those who are paraplegics should not be able to live a quality of life that allows them to survive because "they're on benefits" and "should be better off than those on benefits".
Do you realise how many genuinely sick people rely on benefits to survive? Do you realise how many children are dependent on parents who claim benefits while they are unemployed or sick?

your aware he specifically exempted the disabled from those cuts ?
You think that because someone who doesn't work gets a large amount of money, they're living the high life. The reality is that very few of them actually are and the kids certainly aren't.

since the introduction of the cap this hasn't been the case, but there are still some who have been swinging the lead, one person I know locally was literally crying when they lost 25k a year from the de-listing of adhd as a qualifying illness, something they had been liberally abusing for 3 years and living the high life.....
I don't have a problem with people with a real illness getting help to get on in life but the sheer amount squandered by some individuals was (is) astounding and until some more controls get put in place on how such additional funds are dispersed then  it should be removed to prevent such flagrant abuses
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
when I was working in a job earning circa 36k a year my sister was a single mum on benefits and generating an income larger than mine she was living in easy street and I was working hard to support loafers like her

And how do you know she was getting more than you? - One kid or two, child benefit doesn't pay that much, nor does any other benefit. The most you get is housing benefit these days but that doesn't get kept, it has to be paid to the landlord.
So nano, it looks to me like your sister was probably relying on a lot of credit that you were unaware of - weekly payment catalogues are popular with those on benefits but i'll doubt you gave that a second thought.
I have a cousin who is on benefits, she has a few kids and struggles to make ends meet. If you saw her house you'd never think it though - large plasma, x-box for the kids, latest phones etc.. all on credit though so she can pay bit by bit but people like you think she's raking it in.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm

I've not even seen or heard of the budget results yet, I was just annoyed at his comments.
nanotm
Pro

fyi I know exactly what she claimed for because she wasn't shy in telling people and bragging about it at the time, to her credit she got a job when the changes were announced and her total income stream didn't change that much with all the topups although I guess that's about to change a bit if she doesn't get extra hours....
certainly it was prior to the coalition government  and the changes they brought in, but they acknowledged when they did so it wasn't enough and more was required, today they have gone that little bit further but at the same time introduced a sweetener that rent will be reduced (even if its by less than £100 a year)  for the next 4 years (and hopefully a bit more in the future as well)

as to you not having seen the results yet i'm surprised I had the tv on in the backround and got a constant stream of email alerts about everything he announced from a news feed on my phone /